Carnival ship coming into Norfolk with Irene!

HokiePoq

Our local news just showed a Carnival ship right off the shore heading into Norfolk. I guess they are bringing folks in ahead of Irene. The area where the cruise port is low lying and prone to flooding. Hopefully everyone can get on their way before it gets bad here.

The Navy has sent its ships offshore!

I think I read on John Herald's blog that the Pride that normally gets into Baltimore at about 10 am on Sunday is coming into Baltimore about 6 am tomorrow to unload passangers. It will then go back out into the bay to ride out the hurricaine and come back to Baltimore Monday morning to pick up the passangers for the next cruise.

Someone must have been tracking the hurricane well for the ship to be able to get into port more than 24 hours early - and have some luck that the Royal Caribbean ship that they share the port with went out on Thursday this week instead of Saturday. The Enchantment does alternating Thursday and Saturday sailings. If Enchantment was scheduled to be in on Saturday the Pride, I assume, would have had to wait until Monday to come back to Baltimore.

Looking at marinetraffic.com, Pride is in the lower Chesapeake near the Delmarva Peninsula, coming up on the Maryland border. She skipped a port on this cruise because of the hurricane, which is what helped get her back to Baltimore a day early. As pjlee said, the plan is to get the passengers off early Saturday, then sail down the bay to around Annapolis to ride out the storm. I wouldn't want to be those crew members riding it out.:eek:

Looking at marinetraffic.com, Pride is in the lower Chesapeake near the Delmarva Peninsula, coming up on the Maryland border. She skipped a port on this cruise because of the hurricane, which is what helped get her back to Baltimore a day early. As pjlee said, the plan is to get the passengers off early Saturday, then sail down the bay to around Annapolis to ride out the storm. I wouldn't want to be those crew members riding it out.:eek:

I would! It would be like a fun house! :D

As pjlee said, the plan is to get the passengers off early Saturday, then sail down the bay to around Annapolis to ride out the storm. :eek:

Annapolis? Why only sail half way down the bay? I would think the captain would want to get her out to open sea away from the hurricane. Not ride it out in the middle of it!!! :confused:

Annapolis? Why only sail half way down the bay? I would think the captain would want to get her out to open sea away from the hurricane. Not ride it out in the middle of it!!! :confused:

To go through the entrance to Chesapeake Bay on Saturday would put the ship in the heart of the storm. While the Bay is quite restricted around Annapolis, the ship is azipod equipped and can hold station very well. I suspect that is the plan rather than to try and cruise up and down.

Doc

OK...Guess that makes sense. Anyway, just checked marinetraffic.com, she is cruising up the Chesapeake Bay at almost 18 knots. She should be in Baltimore at 0600 UTC, That's 2:00 A.M. local or Eastern Daylight Time. Those that drove to the port should be able to get out of the area in good order, those that have flights to catch (originally not till Sunday afternoon) could be stuck.

Wouldn't want to be a passenger on her right now. I'm sure there are more than a few who will complain to high heaven.

I am on Pride right n ow. As stated we are heading in early. We will start debarkation around 7 am. We drove in so we will hightail it out of here as soon as we get off. Its been a pretty miserable cruise, we missed nassau, had a severe thunderstorm while embarking, have been outrunning irene all week and have had to deal with clouds and rain almost the whole trip. But we did as much indoors as possible, I am just very sad to lose a day.

I am on Pride right n ow. As stated we are heading in early. We will start debarkation around 7 am. We drove in so we will hightail it out of here as soon as we get off. Its been a pretty miserable cruise, we missed nassau, had a severe thunderstorm while embarking, have been outrunning irene all week and have had to deal with clouds and rain almost the whole trip. But we did as much indoors as possible, I am just very sad to lose a day.

Wow

Sorry to hear about your impacted cruise

Glad all made. It back safe

How were the seas? Were you in rough seas formmost of your trip?

agreed. i still can't get those pix from rita out of my mind all these years later.

sounds like a crappy cruise. what was the mood on board?

and safe travels home!

WOW, at least you made it back safely. Bummer though.

Sorry about the cruise! Hope all are on land and on the way to safety ahead of Irene. Baltimore makes a lot more sense than Norfolk...pretty much too late if that had been the destination. Downtown area in Norfolk already has flooding...not that unusual so far. Big tide is tonight.

That really stinks, Kristy!! So sorry for the issues with the weather. A few years back we were on the Explorer of the Seas along with Hurricane Noel and he gave us a lot of miserable weather and missed ports. I know coming back a day early is the worst but everyone needs to be safe!! Hope your next cruise is a GREAT one!!! :)

Saw the ship on the news last night. Hope the passengers got off and out of town before the worse of it hit today. The area near the cruise ship terminal floods. They do have flood gates on the waterfront. We had a drowning yesterday, a 22 yr man who was surfing. Stay out of the water and off the piers it's dangerous.

Linda

There is an anchorage just south of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Annapolis. Ships are usually anchored there while waiting for an assignment or waiting to proceed to Baltimore to pickup or discharge cargo. There were four tankers/freighters there last week when I crossed the bridge on my way home from Ocean City.

I don't know exactly how these ships are moored in place, but I hope the moorings hold through this storm.

Pride at the moment is still in Baltimore.

The AIS data shows the Carnival Pride underway at 1100. There appear to be 11 cargo/tanker ships anchored between Thomas Point(Southern Annapolis) and Churchton. They are pretty much in the middle of the bay, about 2-3 miles from land.

Aloha,

John

There is an anchorage just south of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Annapolis. Ships are usually anchored there while waiting for an assignment or waiting to proceed to Baltimore to pickup or discharge cargo. There were four tankers/freighters there last week when I crossed the bridge on my way home from Ocean City.

I don't know exactly how these ships are moored in place, but I hope the moorings hold through this storm.

Pride at the moment is still in Baltimore.

Carnival Pride at 12:25pm EST

cpandirne.jpg

Looks like she made it past the Bay Bridge (which is now closed to vehicles) and is at the anchorage. There's a bunch of cargo ships and tankers riding out the storm there. Going to be a rough ride for the crews. I'm just glad my son's cargo ship left New York on Wednesday - they should be halfway across the Atlantic at this point and out of the storm's range.

Archived