4J cabin...an inside with a window

okwriter

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has stayed in a 4J cabin, specifically on the Triumph. This cabin type is all the way forward and has a picture window even though it is booked as an Inside.

I'm curious about (1) whether there is much movement at the front of the ship (the one we have is on the Lido deck with a balcony cabin just around the corner), (2) whether there is much traffic from people going to that deck area outside the room, (3) whether the doors to the deck were locked overnight, and (4) any other comments about room layout or location.

Thanks! :)

Hello---4J's are a great value,but they are handicapped rooms & you can get bumped out of them---to most likely an inside somewhere.

There aren't that many people out on the deck,unless you are up there most won't know about it.

Doors are usually locked at night,but not always,and whenever it's windy.

You might hear the door slam if the cabin is next to it.

These rooms also have huge bathrooms

Try for one on the lido deck

have a great trip !

Hello---4J's are a great value,but they are handicapped rooms & you can get bumped out of them---to most likely an inside somewhere.

There aren't that many people out on the deck,unless you are up there most won't know about it.

Doors are usually locked at night,but not always,and whenever it's windy.

You might hear the door slam if the cabin is next to it.

These rooms also have huge bathrooms

Try for one on the lido deck

have a great trip !

Thanks for the info!

This room does not have the wheelchair icon on the Carnival website, and my PVP is the one who suggested it, so I assume it is not a handicapped room since nobody in my party would need it.

This one is on the Lido deck. :D

I was going to say that I would let you know since I have this cabin booked on the Liberty - but, it looks like you're cruising before me, so I'll have to wait for your findings. LOL

Tracers: is yours on the Lido deck, too? :)

I think that it's just the rooms on the ends that are handicapped. My PVP recommended one of those rooms to me as well, on the Empress deck on the Valor. I think you're both sailing before me, so REPORT BACK, please. :)

Hi- we stayed in a forward-facing cabin on the Splendor on a deck with the so-called 'secret door/deck'. Hated it! We were on the end next to the door- which would SLAM every 2 minutes as people would go in and out. So hard the walls in our cabin would shake. Long into the evening. Had to go out there at 3AM one night because there were people sitting under my window screaming to be heard over the wind. I had originally thought it would be cool to go out there early in the morning- but every day I found beer bottles rolling around and empty plates stacked here and there. I did complain at Guest Services- all they did was post a sign to beware of the effects of the wind, but did not lock the door. Beware!

Had a 4J on Conquest empress deck back in February. I liked it. I didn't feel any more movement that any other room I've been in. It's a long walk to the back of the ship! I only gained 4 lbs instead of the usual 7. not all 4J's are HC. Ours wasn't. We were right below the bridge and loved the front deck during arriving/sailaway. Got to wave to the captain and crew on the bridge. It was a very quiet area.

The front doors were locked sunset to sunrise and during windy conditions. You have to keep drapes closed at night for navigational concerns.

I totally enjoyed the cabin, and was glad that I booked it. As long as the price is right, I'd book it again.

Thank you, TWINS and GTOWN. Sounds like you had very different experiences! I do think the ship and time of year has a lot to do with the crowd, so maybe that explains it.

We have two people booked in the 4J and two in a nearby balcony, and I suspect the four of us will spend most of the time on the balcony when we're not roaming the ship. And we're all sound sleepers, so hopefully noise won't be an issue. It will be great being so close to all of the Lido deck action!

I was most concerned about movement, as I've never stayed in a cabin that far forward. Two members of our group are newbies, and I want them to love cruising as much as I do. :)

TWIBBS, I'll try to write a short review when we return!

I had the same cabin on lido deck on caribbean princess and we heard the door slamming all day. lol, we were also right beneath the treadmills, with a rhymthmic bang bang bang starting when the spa opened.

Still loved it. The ones on Princess are not as obstructed.

I have walked around and viewed the ones on Conquest when doing the B2B.

I only felt too much motion once, I was head into a suitcase on the floor, while I was standing up, and that was a little too much motion, but just that once.

You have to keep drapes closed at night for navigational concerns.

That right there might be a good enough reason for me to change my cabin. Half the point in getting a cabin with a window is so the sun can wake me up in the morning!

Not all 4J rooms are handicapped rooms. We've booked these rooms for the past two years. (once on the Glory and the other on the Victory) In my Glory review (in my signature) I have pics of the room.

There is more movement in these rooms, but we were fine. On the Glory, we were right below the gym, so we did hear an occasional THUMP that scared the crap out of us, but other than that, the room was fine.

There is hardly any traffic up front near those rooms. The outside deck is also nice. They will lock the doors if it gets super windy.

I would book these rooms again in a heartbeat. :)

Oh and be sure to keep your drapes closed when you're in the room. You can see inside the rooms (from the outside deck) if you look hard enough.

We had this room on the Empress deck on the Glory a couple of weeks ago. it is NOT a handicapped room. The 2 cabins on the ends are - but not the cabins in the middle.

The cabin was fine. I did not feel a lot of movement, some but not much. It was nice getting a window for such a cheap price. BUT it was very, very small. I have never been in a cabin this small. I believe that there are different configurations according to cabin and ship. In the one I stayed in - the door opened and the bathroom was on the right and the closets on the left. then about 4 feet in front of you there is the VERY small room area. there is NO couch and NO chair just a small stool under the desk area. the bed was set up under the window - facing towards the door- with the end tables on each end.

With all that being said. If I wanted to cruise and also wanted to save a great deal of money ... YES....I would book this cabin again. You have access to outside just 15 feet from your door. Very few people are ever out there. If you stand out there and to the port side - you are on the skycam...and if you are goofy....like my husband....you can wave at the fellow passangers. If you look up you can see the Captain and other officers. That is because, like I mentioned earlier, we were on the Empress Deck and the big Captains area is right above.

Good Luck in your decision.

I was in 1004 on Valor over Thanksgiving week last year and loved it. Since it was the triangular shaped rooms, it was handicapped. We weren't bothered by the door banging. Occasionally we'd hear it but it wasn't too bad. We liked how quick we could get out to the lido deck!

Thanks for the info!

This room does not have the wheelchair icon on the Carnival website, and my PVP is the one who suggested it, so I assume it is not a handicapped room since nobody in my party would need it.

This one is on the Lido deck. :D

I was looking at those exact cabins for our 6/12 cruise ... and my PVP said that those on the Lido deck are not HC, modified cabins. :) Haven't decided on whether or not we want to move from what we have yet, though.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has stayed in a 4J cabin, specifically on the Triumph. This cabin type is all the way forward and has a picture window even though it is booked as an Inside.

I'm curious about (1) whether there is much movement at the front of the ship (the one we have is on the Lido deck with a balcony cabin just around the corner), (2) whether there is much traffic from people going to that deck area outside the room, (3) whether the doors to the deck were locked overnight, and (4) any other comments about room layout or location.

Thanks! :)

I booked these rooms 7202 on the Triumph twice because my PVP at Carnival also suggested the 4j because of the window. Of course, I was also concerned about the fact that the cabins were so far to the front of the ship and the amount of motion, but to my surprise it was not bad. As for the doors, the last time I was on the boat which was last year the doors were not locked. The traffic is minimal usually it is only the people who are in these cabins are out on the deck outside your window. It is nice to be able to go out on the deck and watch as the ship docks if you do not want to go to the Lido but in your case if you are on that deck that would not matter. I love these cabins and am booked to sail in January and I booked the same cabin on the Conquest. I must say and this is my opinion the only time I spend in the cabin is to sleep and on some nights that is not very long. Hope you have a good time and share your thoughts on your return so that others may have info about these cabins because good info is hard to find about the cabins with the secret doors.

Thank you, TWINS and GTOWN. Sounds like you had very different experiences! I do think the ship and time of year has a lot to do with the crowd, so maybe that explains it.

We have two people booked in the 4J and two in a nearby balcony, and I suspect the four of us will spend most of the time on the balcony when we're not roaming the ship. And we're all sound sleepers, so hopefully noise won't be an issue. It will be great being so close to all of the Lido deck action!

I was most concerned about movement, as I've never stayed in a cabin that far forward. Two members of our group are newbies, and I want them to love cruising as much as I do. :)

TWIBBS, I'll try to write a short review when we return!

Hi! We stayed in one of these cabins on the Freedom. Our room was located on the Lido deck. Overall the room is a good value but, at first glance, I hated that there wasn't as much storage space. :(

For example, when you come in, there is a shelf that holds the television, under it sits a shelf with your ice bucket, etc and then there is a small cabinet that holds the safe, thus no room here. There is a small "ledge" that runs from under this shelf to the closet, with a stool and trash can perched underneath. There is one drawer under the mirror that holds the blowdryer, once again, doesn't leave much room, but it does have a small area on it to set things. :cool:

You have 2 small closets, but don't get excited yet! Inside the one closest to the mirror, there are 2 hanging bars. One is hung higher than the mirror and the other is hung about a foot to a foot & a half above the counter. This is great for hanging shirts but not dresses. :(

Now for the other closet, once again, forget hanging dresses because this one has the high bar for hanging shirts but then you have a small dresser shoved in it with 3-4 small drawers.

You see the bed as you enter and it has a nightstand with lamps, with a little storage cabinet underneath each on both sides of the bed.

In front of the window there is a table and chair with a lighted mirror. I removed the doorhanger & menus from the hook that was hanging by the table, and to maximize this new found space, I used wire hangers to hang up my dresses to keep them from wrinkling. Luckily, I also had some plastic over the door hangers, to hang things, so all in all we managed nicely.

On to the bathroom....the bathroom was completely tiled and open with the standard shower curtain, soap & shampoo dispensers, etc. but with the addition of a pulldown seat that really came in handy for shaving my legs. lol! To me the counterspace appeared to be the same as in the other cabins. There is also a hook on the back of the bathroom door that we used to hold our laundry bag. The bathroom also has one of the hanging 2 sided mirrors.

As for noise, I guess we were lucky because I think the whole time we were on the glorious extended balcony, I think I saw a total of 6 other people and out of those, one was my husband, one was a crewmember and the other four were in rooms close to us, that came out like we did to snap pictures as we were pulling into and out of port(s). It was wonderful to have all this space! I think alot of people didn't realize that you could go out this "secret" door and it was never locked any time that I tried it, day or night. It was super windy at night! lol!

As for motion: I didn't feel any added motion being on the lido deck. Our itinerary was Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Key West and we couldn't have asked for more beautiful weather. :)

Location was nice for the activities that were happening on the Lido deck, buffets, ice cream, etc.

You CAN see in the window if you PEEK in, not just randomly passing by.

There are benches on this huge balcony but no chairs.

We didn't hear any noise from the Lido deck activities.

This room is a great bargain for what you pay for it, once again, I just wish it had more storage space, but we adapted just fine.

Don't miss the opportunity to take those great sunset & sunrise photos!

Let me know if I forgot anything and I'll be happy to try to answer your questions! We would definitely book this same type of cabin again. :D

Happy Sailing and best wishes for fair winds & following seas!

Sandy & Tony

Oh, thank you, EVERYONE, for your comments! Now I'm even more excited! And I found some pictures on cruiselinerooms dot com. (Can we post that URL here?) It looks to be a good size room (9202), and I love that "semi-private balcony." :D

I will definitely take pictures and post them when we get back. I haven't read anything yet that would scare me off...but then, I've loved every cruise so far!

Since two of us on the November trip have cruised and two haven't, we'll probably let the newbies have the balcony. ;)

Thats what I liked about the location, walking to my morning coffee. We had gone out with the neighbors at night time every night to watch the sun go down, so that was pretty fun. Not that many out there. If you ever book the same class on Princess, just Lido deck has these, and two of them are oversized.

This is the similar category on Princess that is a fun comparison.

We really loved the location.

My roomie really realy liked it and went nuts up in the spa. We have even picked a high deck inside over a lower OV on purpose though.

I hope you dont mind, but I love these, and the two outside ones are about 195 s.f., oversized for a OV on this ship. If you ever book Princess, these to me were the best buy, same as Carnival's and to me a interesting comparison.

This is outside looking back at the window from the patio that about 20 of us would go out at night to watch the sun set. It was worth it. You can see back to the door going out that bangs when people let it slam.

Picture021.jpg

This is inside looking out. You can see a wall, but the same wall like Carnival's is not as obsructed, the wall isnt as high as on Carnival.

Picture018.jpg

this is the wall in front of the cabin closer up

Picture009.jpg

Anyway, I thought you would enjoy the comparison. Great location to me and we really loved just walking to coffee in the morning with no steps.

I would do it in a moment on Carnival if the price wasnt a lot extra.

The best thing was waking up on port days and you could see over the wall and see the port spread out before you. That was the very best thing of facing forward on the ship.

We have had the 4J's on four ships. Have two more booked now. Loved them all. More motion then midship, but not enough to bother us. The most we have ever seen out on the front deck is 6-8 people. Never heard the door banging, love the room layout. Only a few of them are accs cabins.

Here is some pics.

Dream 9201 http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/welldone60/Dream%209201/

Victory 9203 http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/welldone60/Victory%209203/

Tiggerlover, did you have to close the curtains at night?

There is a sign posted in the room to keep them closed but we are night owls and were out until the wee hours anyways. :D The windows have sheers as well as drapes over them so for the most part, we left the drapes open with just the sheers and never had a problem. :p

Hi- we stayed in a forward-facing cabin on the Splendor on a deck with the so-called 'secret door/deck'. Hated it! We were on the end next to the door- which would SLAM every 2 minutes as people would go in and out. So hard the walls in our cabin would shake. Long into the evening. Had to go out there at 3AM one night because there were people sitting under my window screaming to be heard over the wind. I had originally thought it would be cool to go out there early in the morning- but every day I found beer bottles rolling around and empty plates stacked here and there. I did complain at Guest Services- all they did was post a sign to beware of the effects of the wind, but did not lock the door. Beware!

Which deck were you on? We are booked in a couple of weeks on the Lido Deck.

Mark

We have had the 4J's on four ships. Have two more booked now. Loved them all. More motion then midship, but not enough to bother us. The most we have ever seen out on the front deck is 6-8 people. Never heard the door banging, love the room layout. Only a few of them are accs cabins.

Here is some pics.

Dream 9201 http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/welldone60/Dream%209201/

Victory 9203 http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/welldone60/Victory%209203/

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I just booked that room on the dream for next year

Had one on the Triumph in May..Was on Upper I think..Loved it soo much we just booked one on the Freedom on Lido in Feb:D..Dont know if It was handicapped or not but I cant imagine it was since you had to step up about a foot into the bathroom. PVP called it a "Skyview Cabin".

Happy Cruising:)

Archived