MSC Armonia Hits Dock Today

sidari

I'm sorry what you missed here is what I said so I guess I need to be clearer for you.

The Captain of the ship has the best knowledge of his ship, how the ship preforms, they system on the ship and how to safely operate the ship. The Captain use the Harbor Pilot as a tool to improve the operation of his ship.

The Harbor Pilot, and in this case a third world Pilot has the best knowledge of his local port and the issues about his/her port. They do not need to know anything about the operation of the cruise ships systems or very little. As they only provide information to the Master and he she then uses that information to operate the ship.

I did not miss anything you said, in fact it is you yourself who has missed what is being said. I know what pilots do thank you very much.

It would appear that your condescending attitude is losing you the argument!

It seems you are just posting to show how much you know, but missing the post. Do you really want to post here that anything in this statement is wrong

"

The Captain of the ship has the best knowledge of his ship, how the ship preforms, they system on the ship and how to safely operate the ship."

You really want to try to say any pilot has better information about the ship than the Captain?

I notice you list cruise ship chief engineer in your profile, but no line named..... are they even still in business as a cruise ship company?

No, your statement is correct, but it is irrelevant to the debate. Why? Because regardless of whether the Captain knows how his ship will performs, he will not be the one actually controlling the ship. I've heard Captains many times advising the pilot on how a ship does at low speeds, for instance, like at what speeds it tends to lose steerage, and which way the stern wants to swing when the engines are reversed. Why would the Captain need to tell the pilot this if the pilot were only advising the Captain on local conditions, rather than being actually in charge of handling the ship?

And, as for my professional credentials, I've been at sea for 43 years as an engineering officer, over 35 of those as Chief Engineer, and the cruise line I worked for is still very much in business, it was NCL.

The Captain of the ship has the best knowledge of his ship, how the ship preforms, they system on the ship and how to safely operate the ship."

Unless the captain was with the ship from the initial design and laying of the keel, I doubt he knows how the ship was preformed! He may, as Captain of the active vessel, know how she performs, Just an FYI since you expect perfection in others, I assume you would ask the same of yourself.

Norwegian Getaway, length 1,066 feet. Just docked at Coxen Hole Roatan, plenty of bitts, cleats, mooring dolphins and platforms-------no problems reported----https://www.facebook.com/BoddenTours/?hc_ref=ARQURuevRYzbu9xENo3tT_-ZitZPVw5R_dzQCRq9nVQcLNZN164Cjp4-Yq28Sfrd52U&fref=nf https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2623778