Uber from MCO to Port Canaveral and back.

pdilme92

I know uber used to not be allowed at MCO so it really wasn't an option. But now it looks like it is allowed! A fare from MCO to Port Canaveral with uber is roughly $50 so thats not a bad deal for a private car vs a shuttle.

My question is has anyone used uber/lyft for this and had any problems getting into the port initially or getting picked up after the cruise?

Any other advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Several reports on this board - no issued with Uber at either MCO or PC, but I think the UberX fare will be closer to $60. Have you looked at one-way car rentals? :confused: We usually rent one-way pre-cruise which allows us to stay, shop and dine where we want.

Several reports on this board - no issued with Uber at either MCO or PC, but I think the UberX fare will be closer to $60. Have you looked at one-way car rentals? :confused: We usually rent one-way pre-cruise which allows us to stay, shop and dine where we want.

For next weekend it’s $102 for a one way from a “name brand” on-airport rental company. Plus the hassle of refilling the gas, paying the tolls, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For next weekend it’s $102 for a one way from a “name brand” on-airport rental company. Plus the hassle of refilling the gas, paying the tolls, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can understand refilling the tank but you don't have to worry about tolls. It's automatically billed to you. I haven't been through an actual toll booth in years, I think every state I've been to with tolls are all Sunpass or something similar now.

Tolls are a few dollars in quarters (do not bother with the electronic tolling for one day) and you need to keep shopping for car rentals - you should be able to find a rental for about 1/2 of what you were quoted. Check Costco, AAA and other discounts. The WDW boards sometimes post FLA only discount codes.

I think you are going to pay more than that price for uber. It was definately 95 from port when we took it. Surge pricing will get you on the return trip. Unless you have a lot of people, making it not cost effective, Contrans was actually awesome. And I hate shared transportation with a passion. But it was actually pretty fun to be on a shared shuttle with a bunch of other people going on cruises on the way down.

Lately I've been Ubering (a word?) in the Orlando/Kissimmee/Sanford areas (as a passenger, not a driver!). While waiting for one of my rides, I talked to someone who was using Wingz to MCO.

I have not heard of Wingz and never used them but apparently it is a flat-rate service (unlike Uber with surge pricing that can mess with your budget) BUT you prebook both the ride and driver! You can book weeks ahead.

I checked and the quote was $94 from Port Canaveral to MCO. Wingz is also available at MCO as an approved TNC together with Uber and Lyft.

Anyways, it is an interesting option if you are concerned about waiting for Uber/Lyft on cruise morning and surge pricing.

Also, in case you did not know, the designated TNC pickup area at MCO is Level 2 (same level as main baggage claim) as shown in this MCO Map. Do not go down to Level 1!

Orlando-Airport-web.jpg

We rented an SUV through Costco from Alamo and the total cost was $96.09. We needed a truck because we were 4 adults with 4 big pieces of luggage and a carry on. Having the rental enabled us to pick up toiletries and soda. We also went to a local restaurant for dinner. I believe the total cost for tolls was about $3. We just paid the agent at the booth. No big deal. We would definitely rent a car again. On return, we considered taking an Uber from the port to MCO but nobody wanted to sit in the front seat with the driver for 45+ minutes and for other personal reasons we decided to take Carnival transportation.