Luggage stolen from train

planner123456

My sister had her bag got into while getting on the train in Rapallo on our way to Genoa to board a cruise. No idea how it happened they are clever. She had the ends padlocked together but they managed to open the zip and it was a very profitable day for the thieves 3 young girls. Her bag is one of those fancy travel supposedly thief proof bags. It must have happened while she was lifting her suitcase up into the train and therefore her hand wasnt on her bag which was over her neck and on the front of her body. Luckily she had given me her passport to carry in my travel vest of hidden pockets or we wouldn't have been able to board the ship. A tough lesson for her to not carry cash. On arrival in Genoa we reported to the police at the station and then had get a bus to a different police station to make the formal report, took a good 3 hours, then back to our accommodation, phone insurance company to learn she was only covered for $250 AUD and her excess is $250 AUD so a total waste of time and energy even bothering to make a police report. A cc friend sent me a you tube clip of how its done, all they need is a pen and bingo!!!

I just returned from a visit to Venice and Florence. We took the high speed train between the two cities. Even in the 2nd class compartment we were in, there were areas to stow luggage at each end of the car and also in the middle of the car (between the seats). We were lucky enough to be able to stow our bags in the center area and our seats were right next to them.

Regarding pickpockets and purses/bags, I've said many times that it is much, much preferable to carry any truly significant amounts of money, credit cards, and passport in a place where they are extremely difficult to access. I would not put my faith in one of the often-recommended "protective" bags. As the above example proves, they are not fool-proof.

True, I put everything in my vest with the knowledge they would have to physically undress me to get anything of value.

Unfortunately sister was getting over a dose of shingles and her skin being very tender she decided not to use her usual neck pouch for her valuables. There are several things she could have done if she had thought harder about her situation including taking less cash or giving it to me to mind. But lesson learned, she'll never do that again.

Another option besides a chain and lock is to secure a bell that will make noise when you bag is disturbed and if you put bags on a rack to put the handles inward to make it less easy for someone to walk by and grab handle. I also get up at each stop to make sure nobody is ready to bolt with my bag.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...