Rome with a Mobility Scooter

Londongirl8

We are doing our first Med Cruise in 2018. We are looking at doing a private tour of Rome from the ship. I have reduced mobility and use a scooter for any distance. I am interested to hear how people have found visiting Rome with a mobility scooter as it does not sound like it's very easy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are doing our first Med Cruise in 2018. We are looking at doing a private tour of Rome from the ship. I have reduced mobility and use a scooter for any distance. I am interested to hear how people have found visiting Rome with a mobility scooter as it does not sound like it's very easy.

My wife and I on a recent visit to Rome found that it is impossible to navigate the narrow, cobbled streets without great discomfort for the pusher and the pushed. The small wheels on a scootter would make matters worse. Fortunately for us.

we'd visited Rome well over a dozen times when both of us has no mobility problems.

Rome is more than an hour from the port in Civitavecchia. So you first have to find a private tour which is able to accomodate your scooter.

It will be only possible with a private tour as there´s no way to get your scooter on the train (stairs and no elevators).

In Rome you will face lots of cobble stone and it won´t be easy to navigate a scooter.

So I think a private tour will be your best option and you can arrange with the driver a tour with not too much walking.

steamboats

Sounds like this is going to be quite difficult. I am hoping the private tour, I've been looking at Rome in Limo will get me very close to the main sights in the morning, I can manage a five or ten minute walk around with a sit down in the car in between but not too many lots of walking we may have to do some things as a drive by if that's possible. In the afternoon I am hoping I can use my mobility scooter in the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peters not sure how all this will work out.

Sounds like this is going to be quite difficult. I am hoping the private tour, I've been looking at Rome in Limo will get me very close to the main sights in the morning, I can manage a five or ten minute walk around with a sit down in the car in between but not too many lots of walking we may have to do some things as a drive by if that's possible. In the afternoon I am hoping I can use my mobility scooter in the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peters not sure how all this will work out.

Rome in Limo will work with you on the tour and get you to see as much as possible. I used them for a private tour in Rome a couple of years ago (in a manual wheelchair). The cobblestones do make things very difficult. Make sure you hire a guide for the Vatican (RIL can provide one) who will be able to take you around any obstacles (e.g. stairs). You won't be able to take the short cut from the Vatican to the Sistine Chapel, but the driver will come pick you up to take you around to the front of St Peters. The driver can also drop you off right in front of the Colosseum, etc. Let them know what you you want to see and what you need and they will work with you. Its more expensive for a private tour, but more than worth it.

You do realise that all the museums will give you and your companion free entry as a disabled person. This is normal throughout Europe.

I would be inclined to just take transport into Rome and do your own thing. If the scooter is the type that breaks down into five pieces you won't have any problem transporting it in a bus, mini bus or taxi.

Unfortunately, although an EU country Italy does not generally comply with disabled rules.

Rome can be challenging with a wheelchair or scooter, but it can be done.

Rome in Limo will work with you on the tour and get you to see as much as possible. I used them for a private tour in Rome a couple of years ago (in a manual wheelchair). The cobblestones do make things very difficult. Make sure you hire a guide for the Vatican (RIL can provide one) who will be able to take you around any obstacles (e.g. stairs). You won't be able to take the short cut from the Vatican to the Sistine Chapel, but the driver will come pick you up to take you around to the front of St Peters. The driver can also drop you off right in front of the Colosseum, etc. Let them know what you you want to see and what you need and they will work with you. Its more expensive for a private tour, but more than worth it.

Since you have limited time, I would recommend a private tour also. They will maneuver you around the city and you will see more. I did it for my Dad and we got him into the coliseum in the wheelchair. I also recommend the guide for the Vatican. They maneuver you through the crowds at the vatican (if you are in scooter not sure if you would get same benefit from it as we did with wheelchair though).