Holland America Line Introduces Fleetwide After-Dinner Chocolate Parade

LauraS

It was not offered on the July 3rd sailing of the Amsterdam. I'm not a chocoholic, but I do enjoy some chocolate treats once in awhile. Like the idea of the double chocolate cupcakes, but how to keep the crumbs off my tux and white formal shirt?

Perhaps you could pull up the "Crumber" Bund>>>

What does this mean: After dinner on the last gala night of every cruise, ....

Does it mean on the last night before we have to disembark in the morning?

The last night of a cruise is never a Gala night. Usually the last Gala night is the night before that.

"Gala" is the replacement for "Formal" nights, so is a specific term.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

we finished a two week cruise on the Rotterdam 12/14/17. No chocolate parade or any other on the last Gala night. We were disappointed about that. WE enjoyed the cruise because of the crew and the many folks we met but the ship 'died' after 11:30 PM. They did have a good group from Argentina in the Ocean bar that we really liked a lot.

I just experienced this on the Eurodam on Friday night - they called it a Chocolate Surprise. Rows of waiters in their white jackets came streaming along distributing themselves into all the bars and areas on Deck 2. At first, its a bit of a mad house and the waiters are descended upon but then it settles down. I found best just to stand in one place and at eventually everything went by me. Very nice.

On our 16-day trans-Canal cruise on Westerdam, the chocolate parade was on our last Gala night. We were seated in the Explorer's Lounge area outside the Lincoln Center Stage where the string quartet had just finished their last set. The waiters stepped off the elevator with their large trays of chocolates, and a couple of them came into the lounge area and went around offering (and encouraging) everyone to sample the different candies. A couple of the waiters remained in the hallway near the elevators, so that everyone coming or going through the hallway could have had all the chocolate they wanted. We had just finished dinner and really didn't want much but did enjoy a couple of pieces.

Everyone in our area was having a good time, and the waiters seemed to be having a good time, too. It was a nice festive touch to end the cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Eurodam and the Zuiderdam last month. The Chocolate Parade was held at 9:45 p.m on both ships ... I can't remember which night it was held.

This event is so much better than the big event that they used to have around the Lido Pool. Many of those items were just for show and not edible.