Seattle hotel prices extremely high?

geomancer

Of the things you mentioned you’re interested in the only thing you’re close to is the train station. Pike Place Market is 1 mile away, the Space Needle is 2 miles. Although pricey, the downtown core area is much more convenient and there are more restaurant choices.

But they are short walking distance to the light rail which can get them downtown in minutes for $2.50. The only issue is that The Market and the Seattle Center are then likely some sort of transport away from the light rail but that would be the same for almost every decent downtown hotel as well. They could actually walk from Westlake station to the Market (5 or 6 blocks downhill) or take the Monorail from Westlake to the Seattle Center.

But they are short walking distance to the light rail which can get them downtown in minutes for $2.50. The only issue is that The Market and the Seattle Center are then likely some sort of transport away from the light rail but that would be the same for almost every decent downtown hotel as well. They could actually walk from Westlake station to the Market (5 or 6 blocks downhill) or take the Monorail from Westlake to the Seattle Center.

Yes, there are certainly transportation options to the venues they’ve specified. Or, they could stay downtown and walk a few blocks to the market and to Westlake to take the monorail to the Space Needle.

My wife and I just returned today from a week in downtown Seattle. I was photographing the King St. Station as well as Union Station. I spent quite a bit of time walking down that way and then back to our hotel downtown. After a while it became a bit inconvenient but most of what we wanted to do was downtown so that’s where we stayed.

As far as it being safe I agree that I’ve never felt unsafe but there are two areas that I’ve seen more homeless people with one being around Pioneer Square & Embassy Suites, the other is around Bell and Blanchard in Belltown.

I just can’t see staying at a hotel based solely on the train station. And, unless they end up eating at 13 Coins, chances are they’ll end up back downtown for dinner.

Yes, there are certainly transportation options to the venues they’ve specified. Or, they could stay downtown and walk a few blocks to the market and to Westlake to take the monorail to the Space Needle.

My wife and I just returned today from a week in downtown Seattle. I was photographing the King St. Station as well as Union Station. I spent quite a bit of time walking down that way and then back to our hotel downtown. After a while it became a bit inconvenient but most of what we wanted to do was downtown so that’s where we stayed.

As far as it being safe I agree that I’ve never felt unsafe but there are two areas that I’ve seen more homeless people with one being around Pioneer Square & Embassy Suites, the other is around Bell and Blanchard in Belltown.

I just can’t see staying at a hotel based solely on the train station. And, unless they end up eating at 13 Coins, chances are they’ll end up back downtown for dinner.

I agree, all things being equal I would rather stay at one of the downtown hotels (my wife and I stay in the Westlake area from time to time when we are seeing a show or are having a night out in the city) but I am assuming the price difference is around $300/night and for that I would be OK staying in the International district. There are some restaurants down there (although it is a bummer than FX McCrory's closed) and some of the best Dim Sum around for breakfast as well as Uwajimaya which is definitely worth a visit.

There are homeless in the park south of Pioneer Square but I never felt unsafe around them (my previous company had an office next to Safeco Field) and the light rail station is in the other direction from their hotel. It is a pretty safe area. My 18 year old daughter works at Seahawk and Sounder games and takes the light rail to and from UW and I have never worried.

Your other pictures are pretty amazing...can you post some from these areas as well?

Edited by fastpitchdad

I’m a little nervous now on our choice of hotels. We figured we could Uber to Pike and the Space Needle, and do a lot of walking around while we are in that area, and have the convenience of having the train station right next door. Our train to San Francisco leaves at 8:30 am...I think we need to be there 45 minutes before, so a quick breakfast at the hotel and we will be ready for the train.

The hotel is not inexpensive, I guess being new comes at a premium. We picked a corner water view room. View on both sides I guess.

Think I should change the hotel? We are not foodies, or drinkers, and will only be in Seattle 1 1/2 days. We plan on doing ALOT of walking!

Decisions...decisions!

Decisions...decisions!

If you’re prepared for the distance from the things you want to see like the market and Space Needle you’ll do fine. There are other interesting things to see near Embassy Suites like the Sky View Observatory at Columbia Center. The views are spectacular. I like it better than the Needle. Also, the Smith Tower. The Klondike Gold Rush Museum is interesting and worth a visit. All within a short walk from Embassy Suites. The arched vaulted ceiling at the Pioneer Square Station is worth a look and makes for a good photo from the upper level.

I’m a little nervous now on our choice of hotels. We figured we could Uber to Pike and the Space Needle, and do a lot of walking around while we are in that area, and have the convenience of having the train station right next door. Our train to San Francisco leaves at 8:30 am...I think we need to be there 45 minutes before, so a quick breakfast at the hotel and we will be ready for the train.

The hotel is not inexpensive, I guess being new comes at a premium. We picked a corner water view room. View on both sides I guess.

Think I should change the hotel? We are not foodies, or drinkers, and will only be in Seattle 1 1/2 days. We plan on doing ALOT of walking!

Decisions...decisions!

I certainly wouldn't switch if you're okay with the price. You could walk to the Pike Place market via the central waterfront, level until you get to the market garage with its elevator up to the market, or an Uber from the Embassy Suites to the market is going to cost around $8, or around $2 more than the light rail or a bus would cost for 2 people. Yes, there are street people about; most congregate around the courthouse square at 3rd and Yesler, which is outside your walking route. Use your big city smarts; don't walk around at 2 in the morning with $20 bills hanging out of your pockets and you'll be fine.

Being that close to the train station would be a good thing in my book; it will help reduce the hassle the morning you leave.

I've been following this thread since I'm having the same delima as the OP. I originally thought we would be able to get post cruise rooms at the Double- Tree by the airport since this is where were staying the night before we cruise, but the price went up by about 80 a night so I booked with the sleep Inn. The more I was reading this thread along with trip advisor I knew transportation would be a problem. So technically were still in the same boat as when we started but we made the decision to stay at the Cedarbrook Lodge post cruise. I know we will be tired from the cruise and it looks like a nice place relax not to mention it's cheaper then sleep Inn and they also have a shuttle to the airport. Worse case scenario we rent a car. I looked at budget at the airport but we really do not want to takle the Seattle highways so others options are, public transportation, uber, lyft or cab either way I think this was the best for us.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Decisions...decisions!

Your location is fine. You are on the south end of downtown and the Space Needle is on the north end but Seattle is a small city. Unless you can get a nicer hotel for around the same price I don't think you should switch...especially if you don't care about late night life or being able to walk to the nicest restaurants in town,

So technically were still in the same boat as when we started but we made the decision to stay at the Cedarbrook Lodge post cruise. I know we will be tired from the cruise and it looks like a nice place relax not to mention it's cheaper then sleep Inn and they also have a shuttle to the airport.

Cedarbrook was cheaper than the Sleep Inn? Wow, I’m shocked. I’m about 35 miles north of the airport and have stayed at Sleep Inn a couple of times when I had super early flights the next day. Now granted, I didn’t stay during tourist/cruise season, but I only paid $100 (with all taxes) for a night. I realize that rates go up during cruise season.

So if you got a cheaper spot at Cedarbrook, you scored.

I did get a 10% discount for putting my email on their mail list. The room itself at sleep Inn with taxes was a little over 200 a night the Double tree is the hotel that went up in price when I booked it with tax is was 176 now it's about 250 I could believe just a couple of weeks and quit a price change.

LIGHT RAIL AND/OR AMTRAK BE AWARE

Make sure you check the Mariners' and Seahawks' schedules. Both fields are right next to the stations and are heavily used by locals on game days! It took us 3hrs to get from the station to our hotel as we arrived when the game let out.

Belltown area has several nice, reasonably priced hotels & it's between Pike Market & Space Needle - Chihuly Center. You can catch the monorail at the Westlake Center. The exotic Amazon "Spheres" can be viewed by the public but you'll need a ticket - reserve in advance.

We are staying @ the airport Hampton Inn on International Blvd I believe it is. Using Hilton Honor points so ecstatic for that one!

We are coming in Thursday 8/23, flight not yet reserved, and basically have perhaps Thursday afternoon and early evening to sight see and all day Friday. Ship leaves Terminal 91 Saturday. I def want to go to Chululy and maybe space needle. My friend doesn’t care.....she’s just thrilled to go to AK! What about Pikes Place? Thinking 3 things is plenty this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hockeygal -

From SEATAC it can take from 35min - 1.5 hrs to get to the space needle afternoon and early AM I-5 becomes a parking lot. It would be easier to stay downtown, explore, dine, and only have a short taxi/uber to the ship. There are Hampton & Hilton hotels downtown. Have Fun!