Fjords Itinerary Compare

Opie

I'm comparing two 7-day cruises (Princess, P&O) that both do: Stavanger, Olden, Bergen

But then they differ -- which would you prefer:

(A) Innvikfjorden (sail by) - Nordfjord (sail by) - Romsdalsfjord (sail by) - Andalsnes

(B) Hellesylt - Geiranger

I can't compare since I didn't visit Andalsnes, but Geiranger, Flam and Olden were my favorite stops in Norway. In Olden, don't miss the Loen Sykylift, which just opened and is amazing. The Briksdal Glacier has been hit hard by global warming, but the trip there is beautiful and so is the hike. If you have any mobility issues, you should rent a golf cart to take you most of the way there. If you go to Geiranger, just make sure you don't leave before June, because one of the roads doesn't open until the snow is clear and there is a big avalanche (historically between May 15-June 1st.) They were on the later side this year, and our cruise in late may missed it. It was still gorgeous, but go later in the season if you can. Have a great trip!

Thanks for your reply! We would be going in mid-June. I'm hoping there will be other kids on the cruise as well, since we will have school-aged children with us. I was hoping seeing the Troll Wall would be enough to overcome missing Geiranger on the other cruise, but maybe not?

• 3 weeks later...

First off our "sail by" ports really were not ports, our ship did not stop. Spectacular scenery none the less, but you really don't know (at least we didn't) when were by those advertised ports or not. There is spectacular scenery all morning going into Flam as an example. We did have ports stops at Andalsnes and Flam but not Geiranger. So I can't really comment on Geiranger, but I think others have compared the sail in to be similar to Flam, which was great. The sail into Andalsnes was also really nice but maybe just a little less specatular than Flam (and Geiranger?)

We did take an excursion to Troll road out of Andalsnes and it was much better than what I was anticipating based on the cruiseline description. You to high up in the mountains to a brand new tourist vistors center. I think that excursion would be worth it to me to put Andalsnes on my list.

Have fun, I suspect you can't go wrong with either.

Not sure which is Princess & P&O (A or B) I wouldnt think that there would be many children on board as schools won't have broken up for the summer holidays then. Also the cruises which mainly attract families with children tend to be the Mediterranean ones.