Hell and beach

Mrs 0z

hi! My beach-disliking husband and I will be in GC in January. We’d like to spend about half hour or so in Hell, getting postcards, taking pictures, etc and then to a beach for a short time.

Any ideas if the two of us should take a bus or a cab? How long will it take to get there in either from the cruise port? Will it be easy to find a cab from the beach?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful - the buses and taxis look the same- basically shuttle buses . Buses are cheaper and run on a fixed route. Taxis charge a bit more, but more importantly will run you around the route they want to take to maximize their pickups. They will pass your stop up if they need to get somewhere else quickly - you may find yourself going in circles.

I seem to recall that taxis had red license plates and buses had blue. Also, buses do not go close to the cruise terminal - you'll have to walk a couple of block from the bus terminal to the cruise terminal.

To catch a bus, stand on the side of the road. When a bus comes by, the driver will honk. Hold your hand up, and they'll pull over and pick you up.

You can do this all with the bus - they will go from Seven Mile Beach up to Hell, and they run frequently.

With stops, you are probably looking at about half an hour to the beach from the cruise port, and maybe 20 minutes from SMB to Hell.

Thanks, TravellingBritNY! I’ve been a bit nervous about the buses

Be careful - the buses and taxis look the same- basically shuttle buses . Buses are cheaper and run on a fixed route. Taxis charge a bit more, but more importantly will run you around the route they want to take to maximize their pickups. They will pass your stop up if they need to get somewhere else quickly - you may find yourself going in circles.

I seem to recall that taxis had red license plates and buses had blue. Also, buses do not go close to the cruise terminal - you'll have to walk a couple of block from the bus terminal to the cruise terminal.

To catch a bus, stand on the side of the road. When a bus comes by, the driver will honk. Hold your hand up, and they'll pull over and pick you up.

Thanks, GomezAddams. Is it hard to find the bus when you need it? We really only want to do some shopping and see Hell at this port, neither of of us are real beach people and all the excursions seem to have a fair bit of time at the beach.

I’m a bit nervous as as it’s only my second cruise and I haven’t done non-ship excursions

Thanks, GomezAddams. Is it hard to find the bus when you need it? We really only want to do some shopping and see Hell at this port, neither of of us are real beach people and all the excursions seem to have a fair bit of time at the beach.

I’m a bit nervous as as it’s only my second cruise and I haven’t done non-ship excursions

Seems you would be perfectly happy just shopping around in town.

If you absolutely insist on going to HELL, it would be way less stressful for you to use a taxi. No way you are going to want to be in Hell very long. ;p

Relax, Grand Cayman is probably the best place in the Caribbean to not worry. Everyone speaks English, the crime rate is low, and no matter where you are, a bus will be around soon to take you back into town.

One thing to note is that prices you see will be GC dollars which is fixed at 1.20 USD, so when shopping, eating, or drinking, be prepared.

While Hell isn't exactly a must-see place, I do think it is worth a visit. There is a pretty cool lava outcrop in back that is worth seeing, plus pics of the family in Hell make for wonderful Christmas cards (yes, we really did that).

Not only that, but the guy who owns the shop there is a real character and fun to talk with.

IIRC, buses make passes about every 20 minutes. The person working the counter in the Hell store can tell you when the bus will be around.

Relax? I don’t think I understand that word...

The Christmas cards sound hilarious.

Thanks so much!

Relax, Grand Cayman is probably the best place in the Caribbean to not worry. Everyone speaks English, the crime rate is low, and no matter where you are, a bus will be around soon to take you back into town.

One thing to note is that prices you see will be GC dollars which is fixed at 1.20 USD, so when shopping, eating, or drinking, be prepared.

While Hell isn't exactly a must-see place, I do think it is worth a visit. There is a pretty cool lava outcrop in back that is worth seeing, plus pics of the family in Hell make for wonderful Christmas cards (yes, we really did that).

Not only that, but the guy who owns the shop there is a real character and fun to talk with.

IIRC, buses make passes about every 20 minutes. The person working the counter in the Hell store can tell you when the bus will be around.