Hilton Barcelona diagonal mar

gmabcd

I will be staying there in 2 weeks before my med cruise. I have heard really good things about it, but have not experienced myself.

Wow that's a long time. I will be going in about a month for about 3 days before our RCCL cruise. Have fun!!!

I can only think of one possible negative with this area. The convention center is down the street about three blocks. During the summer they play free concerts in the area that sometimes last until well past mid night. I have heard of customer's complaining about the noise but we always carry ear plugs on our trip so that took care of the problem when we were in Barcelona. Also three is a really great shopping center across the street. Its about three stories high and there are some really great cafes in the place. Its a four block walk to the beach where Sangria can be purchased by the pitcher. The area has acess to cheap local transportation so enjoy it. We did. Tim

I read a lot of reviews on tripadvisor and the large majority were very positive. We are staying there for six nights prior to our cruise this summer but the main reason we are staying there is I need to be at the convention center for 3 days. Also, we are kind of spoiled with American hotels and king size beds;).

Enjoy,

John

We stayed there a few years ago, brand new at the time. Very nice hotel. As others have said, close to the beach, good view of the city or sea, shopping mall across the street, easy access to public transportation that will take you across town.

This is one of two Hiltons in Barcelona. We have stayed at both. This one is more delux.

We like staying away from all the tourists action around the La Rambles, this fits the bill.

I can only think of one possible negative with this area. The convention center is down the street about three blocks. During the summer they play free concerts in the area that sometimes last until well past mid night. I have heard of customer's complaining about the noise but we always carry ear plugs on our trip so that took care of the problem when we were in Barcelona. Also three is a really great shopping center across the street. Its about three stories high and there are some really great cafes in the place. Its a four block walk to the beach where Sangria can be purchased by the pitcher. The area has acess to cheap local transportation so enjoy it. We did. Tim

Tim;

Is it easy to get to the hotel via subway, need to save on the expensive Taxi, how about Las rambes and the sights.

Thanks

http://www.cruisinbob.com

Wack001,

I have stayed at hotels in Barcelona at the following locations: Las Rablas, Del Mar Beach and Lower Diagonal. This is my experience on transportation. Taxi's from the airport to Las Ramblas or Lower Diagonal will run 24 to 28 Euros for two people and luggage. I have taken the Aero Porto Bus from the Airport to the Plaza (Upper Las Ramblas) for 3.4 Euros. I recently heard it is now more like 4 Euros. The Bus is no big deal....there are luggage racks on the Aero Porto bus. I have researched taking the local train from the airport into Las Ramblas and the Lower Diagonal area. The only draw back going to the Hilton in Lower Diagonal or Hotel Princess is the fact that once you reach the end of the loca trainl line you have to transfer to the subway system but it looks like it is not that far of a distance. I would look at sites that show "Barcelona transportation systems".

The attached picture is looking out the elevator from Hotel Princess located two blocks from the Hilton. You can see just how big the shopping center is. Tim

1906290421_MeditereanCruise1051.jpg.4b50965b39cfec0311c90bb4870b254c.jpg

As you are staying 2 days pre-cruise:

you can buy at the airport if you take the train (leaves from the Terminal 2 - if you land in Terminal 1 you need to take the shuttle to the train station)

a 2-day-pass for T-2 dias for 10.70 EUR which will cover your transportation

from airport to your hotel and all day browsing through Barcelona and if you want next day again plus ride to Columbus Coloumn.

From there you can go with the port bus for 2.00 EUR to your cruise terminal.

The Aerobus will not meet the L4-Metro to the hotel!!!

You have the options:

Shuttle to Terminal 2 train station

or

Subway from Placa Catalunya to meet L4-Metro

Regards,

HeinBloed

What I forgot:

there are alternatives to the subway (Metro):

Tram Olympic Port via:

2008-NCLJade-40216-BCN.jpg

and more or less "round the corner" you can board to a port cruise:

http://www.lasgolondrinas.com/portilito.html

2008-NCL-Jade-30151-BCN.jpg

and you see your Hotel just from the waterside

2008-NCL-Jade-30159-BCN.jpg

2008-NCL-Jade-30158-BCN.jpg

2008-NCL-Jade-30171-BCN.jpg

and you just arrive at the end of La Rambla.

Last not least: Opposite of the Hotel the Ho-Ho-Bus (green line) starts.

That's why we also liked very much the location of the hotel.

Regards,

HeinBloed

10.70 EUR is per person for 2 days (= T-2 Dia-Pass)

and it covers:

Airport (Terminal 2) to Hotel

Commuter Train Line 2 North to Passeig de Gracia

change to

Subway Line 4 to El Maresme/Forum (Hotel)

then you can use the T-2 Dia-Pass for two days:

for all public transport for your sightseeing

Commuter trains

Subway (Metro)

Trams

Buses

Cable Car from Parallel to Montjuic

http://www.tmb.cat/img/genplano.pdf

for your port transfer from Hotel

Subway Line 4 to Passeig de Gracia

change to

Subway Line 3 to Drassenes

then you change to the port bus which departs in opposite of the Columbus Column:

2.00 EUR extra and you are at the cruise terminal without taxi.

Regards,

HeinBloed

10.70 EUR is per person for 2 days (= T-2 Dia-Pass)

and it covers:

Airport (Terminal 2) to Hotel

Commuter Train Line 2 North to Passeig de Gracia

change to

Subway Line 4 to El Maresme/Forum (Hotel)

then you can use the T-2 Dia-Pass for two days:

for all public transport for your sightseeing

Commuter trains

Subway (Metro)

Trams

Buses

Cable Car from Parallel to Montjuic

http://www.tmb.cat/img/genplano.pdf

for your port transfer from Hotel

Subway Line 4 to Passeig de Gracia

change to

Subway Line 3 to Drassenes

then you change to the port bus which departs in opposite of the Columbus Column:

2.00 EUR extra and you are at the cruise terminal without taxi.

Regards,

HeinBloed

All I can say is that "YOU ARE THE MAN"!

Mucho gracias.

http://www.cruisinbob.com

I have asked a lot, but is there a place to grab breakfast nearby in the mall?

the Hilton hotel prices are too high for me, open to suggestion nearby.

thanks

The price might be a little bit higher but the buffet is so good that you can easily save the money for lunch...

This picture is taken from the hotel:

2008-NCL-Jade-30135-Hilton.jpg

On this plaza there a lot of restaurants. In the mall there is a large supermarket downstairs and you can buy some sandwiches or other things from the deli.

Inside there are nice coffee bars as well.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi again HeinBloed,

I have some more questions for you (not flight related but your help there was great a while ago). OK, we are staying 6 nights at the Hilton diagonal mar and want to purchase a 2 or more day hoho pass. Where exactly do we get this and do we have to get it stamped or checked every time we use it? We would also like to take the metro at night, do they have a combo pass for both the metro and hoho?

Thanks,

John

Regards,

HeinBloed

One more question about the coffee bars in the mall. Do you know if any of them (maybe Starbucks) has wifi service we can use our lap top? The Hilton charges are way out of line and too expensive.

Thanks,

John

Hi again HeinBloed,

I have some more questions for you (not flight related but your help there was great a while ago). OK, we are staying 6 nights at the Hilton diagonal mar and want to purchase a 2 or more day hoho pass. Where exactly do we get this and do we have to get it stamped or checked every time we use it? We would also like to take the metro at night, do they have a combo pass for both the metro and hoho?

Thanks,

John

Good Morning,

you can just buy in the buses. There is always a conductor who releases the coupon books, head sets, maps to you. And you get the pass there as well. 27.00 EUR for two CONSEQUETIVE days.

The green line which stops opposite of the Hilton does not operate in the winter time.

As far as I know there is no combo-pass.

But as you stay so many days I would buy

http://www.tmb.cat/en_US/barcelona/moute/targetes/t_10.jsp

T-10 = 10 prepaid single rides

for 1 Zone at 7.70 EUR

More of one can use the tickets and they are integrated i. e. you can transfer from mean to the other mean of transport, like from tram to metro.

Regarding the HotSpot: sorry I cannot stay. I am not sure anymore but I think it was free in the lobby. I remember that I had an expensive Coke but I was using my notebook...

Regards,

HeinBloed

The price might be a little bit higher but the buffet is so good that you can easily save the money for lunch...

This picture is taken from the hotel:

2008-NCL-Jade-30135-Hilton.jpg

On this plaza there a lot of restaurants. In the mall there is a large supermarket downstairs and you can buy some sandwiches or other things from the deli.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed;

many thanks you are a credit to this board. I am not a big breakfast guy neither is my wife a little coffee and a little eats is all we need, that was way I wanted to know about the mall, figure Barcelona will have great east for lunch and dinner, any advise.

thanks

cruisinbob

Heinbloed;

many thanks you are a credit to this board. I am not a big breakfast guy neither is my wife a little coffee and a little eats is all we need, that was way I wanted to know about the mall, figure Barcelona will have great east for lunch and dinner, any advise.

thanks

cruisinbob

Two places where you get inexpensive food:

At Placa de Catalunya there is a department store...

2009NVOTS50438-vi.jpg

It's El Corte Inglés. Go to the 9th floor. It's a self-service restaurant with typical Spanish food. It's inexpensive but restaurant looks like 70s but...

2009NVOTS50440-vi.jpg

we did not expect such a beautiful view over the city at no admission fee.

My other favorite place:

La Boqueria - the market hall of the market halls in Barcelona:

2007BCNBocc01-vi.jpg

They have eating bars inside:

2007BCNBocc04-vi.jpg

They cook everything fresh and if the miss something they just walk over and get it from the stands around...

2007BCNBocc03-vi.jpg

It was much cheaper than the hotel breakfast.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived