Scooter Rental...Pros & Cons?? What do you think?

Seyski5

Day rental of scooters for our August cruise seems like the way to go and everyone in my family says "YES!" I have heard comments to the contrary about doing it....Is it really that unsafe or are most of the accidents seen user error?....What ye say critics?....SAFE or DUMB?:confused:

We rented scooters about 20 years when there was much less traffic on the roads and had a wonderful time exploring the island. There were no traffic lights at the time on the island. When you are moving along with traffic - getting the hang of driving on the left hand side is not a problem. The danger is when you make a turn or try to move into the round-abouts. Then it gets a little hairy remembering the rules of the road.

Now that we have our children with us - we'll just use the public transport as we did 5 years ago when we went. Convenient and inexpensive, but seeing all of Bermuda is just not as easy.

Good luck.

Day rental of scooters for our August cruise seems like the way to go and everyone in my family says "YES!" I have heard comments to the contrary about doing it....Is it really that unsafe or are most of the accidents seen user error?....What ye say critics?....SAFE or DUMB?:confused:

We spent seven days on Bermuda the last week of June and rented a two-person scooter. I was determined to make it through the week without injuring myself or my wife, and I did.

Although I haven't been on a motorcycle in about eight years, before that I drove on and off-road for over 20 years. I wasn't worried a bit about driving the scooter, but I was a bit worried about driving on the left and the round-abouts. After an hour or two driving on the left wasn't bad at all. Getting used to the round-abouts took much longer...

On the next to last day we did see a tourist that crashed his cycle. We got there minutes after it happened, he was still rolling around on the ground in a lot of pain. His leg was torn up pretty good.

The other thing that happens is you'll occasionally be tail-gated by cars that are upset you're going so slow. After all, a 50-cc scooter with two adults on it will only go just so fast... It was common to have cars and other scooters zoom by us...it can be a bit frightening.

I would not let anyone drive a scooter that didn't have lots of motorcycle experience.

I have spent 22 years as a critical care physician in Bermuda and I say - don't do it.

The traffic is evil and rapidly getting worse. The roads are narrow and winding. Impatience and discourtesy on the roads are rampant.

Even if you are experienced bike riders ... please don't !

I have visited the great island of Bermuda many times. Each visit I can recall at least 1 accident involving a tourist. You need to watch your step as a pedestrian, traffic patterns are reversed and drivers are aggressive. My brothers used to do it -now they are older and wiser-lol

I'd like to back up my mate Dr. Jones (assuming JollyJones and he are one and the same). The public transport system here is excellent and unless you're here for an extended stay and absolutely need the independence, there's no good reason to risk wrecking your cruise vacation by getting, at the least, a bad case of "road rash" if you come off the bike.

I'd like to back up my mate Dr. Jones (assuming JollyJones and he are one and the same). The public transport system here is excellent and unless you're here for an extended stay and absolutely need the independence, there's no good reason to risk wrecking your cruise vacation by getting, at the least, a bad case of "road rash" if you come off the bike.

Actually, I am the other Dr Jones - the taller, older and female one. Phillip and I are good friends but I predate him to the island by many years and I have been retired for nearly ten years now. I spend my time in the other theatre (not the operating theatre) - perhaps you heard of my 'Wrecked on the Rock' at Fort St Catherine?

Been to Bermuda three other times with alot of family and we all did two person scooters and we all rode together. Fantastic way to see the island and stop anytime and anywhere you want. First time which was about 13 years ago it was a little tricky in round abouts and driving on opposite side of road but all three times we were there thank the good lord we never had a problem. Everyone drives scooters there. We saw elderly residents driving them all around. My family plans on getting them again this trip although now that DH and I are much older I would probably be a little more comfortable doing the bus but I know that's not going to happen so will be on the back of his scooter again. I know you hear of accidents occasionally but if you do get one just pay careful attention to the driving laws and which side of road you should be on and keep your eye out for other traffic and you hopefully will be fine.:D

......... I know you hear of accidents occasionally but if you do get one just pay careful attention to the driving laws and which side of road you should be on and keep your eye out for other traffic and you hopefully will be fine.:D

Unfortunately it's more than occassionally. Bermuda has been averaging 1 death a month and this is people who lived there.:(

Everyone is free to make their own decision but foolish to ignore warnings, even from a Dr. who has dealt with the aftermath.

A co-worker went on a Bermuda cruise 14 years ago with friends. They rented scooters and the co-workers friend crashed on the first day. She's had 3 surgeries on the leg and still limps - her leg has never been even close to being the same.

As much fun as the scooters sound - and even though my husband has ridden motorcycles on and off in the past, we'll be riding the ferry and buses - I'm the Queen of Weenies and don't want to have to carry a spare pair of underwear cause I'm sure the roads and traffic would cause me to soil myself. :) I'd rather not risk an injury when there are alternate means of transportation.

We were in Bermuda mid July and did not even consider scooters. We are a family of 4 with 2 daughters and none of us are experienced to ride them. As others have posted, there is considerable amount of traffic and the roads are very windy and narrow. Only experienced drivers should be driving on these roads. We used the public transportation and rode the buses. Have to say the buses drive kind of fast and there is NO room for error. There were several times the buses came right up to the back of the slow scooter in front of us, and I imagine they got nervous. The cruise lines advise against it as well. Many people have gotten into serious accidents. And driving on the opposite side of the road can get confusing especially at the round abouts. As I mentioned, the public transportation is great there. You can buy a 3 day bus/ferry pass for $28pp which is a great way to see Bermuda! That would be my recommendation. Good luck. Bermuda is beautiful!

We were in Bermuda mid July and did not even consider scooters. We are a family of 4 with 2 daughters and none of us are experienced to ride them. As others have posted, there is considerable amount of traffic and the roads are very windy and narrow. Only experienced drivers should be driving on these roads. We used the public transportation and rode the buses. Have to say the buses drive kind of fast and there is NO room for error. There were several times the buses came right up to the back of the slow scooter in front of us, and I imagine they got nervous. The cruise lines advise against it as well. Many people have gotten into serious accidents. And driving on the opposite side of the road can get confusing especially at the round abouts. As I mentioned, the public transportation is great there. You can buy a 3 day bus/ferry pass for $28pp which is a great way to see Bermuda! That would be my recommendation. Good luck. Bermuda is beautiful!

I am an experienced rider, however after spending some of the first day of our trip in a taxi and on the bus i agree just dont do it. I drive in NY and DC and I find those places much safer on the roads. Enjoy you trip.

If you're an experienced rider, and can handle driving on the left side of the road, then go for it.

Most of the naysayers in here do not speak from experience... take that into consideration..

By experience, I don't mean watching from a taxi or a bus

If you're an experienced rider, and can handle driving on the left side of the road, then go for it.

Most of the naysayers in here do not speak from experience... take that into consideration..

But I live here, and have ridden bikes here, and I do speak from experience. Even if you are an experienced rider, there's plenty of bad drivers on the road; you don't have to be the cause of an accident to be involved in one.

Just this past weekend we had another bike rider die, and a good friend of mine came off his bike (experienced, sober, in daylight, on a dry road) and has been airlifted to Boston with severe spinal injuries.

I can speak from experience....We got into an accident when we rented a scooter in Bermuda a few years ago. Thankfully it was a minor one, but the potential could have been much worse. I would stick to the public transportation system. I was extremely impressed by how clean, on-time, and easy it was.

But I live here, and have ridden bikes here, and I do speak from experience. Even if you are an experienced rider, there's plenty of bad drivers on the road; you don't have to be the cause of an accident to be involved in one.

Just this past weekend we had another bike rider die, and a good friend of mine came off his bike (experienced, sober, in daylight, on a dry road) and has been airlifted to Boston with severe spinal injuries.

Sorry to hear about your friend; I hope he will make a complete recovery!

Hi JollyJones - Hi BJ - what do you mean have I heard of Wrecked on the Rock - i was in it! You know, the one who marries Pocohontas?

Welcome! I had noticed the newbie, wondered who it is. And, Rolfe, your username didn't give me much of a hint - except that it is very you ... ;)

Archived