Cruise Critic's Caribbean Kick-Off ... Choose Your Cruise Pt 1, Shorex (Win a Prize!)

Dan Askin

Which shore excursion in Cozumel is most compelling?  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Which shore excursion in Cozumel is most compelling?

• Tulum Mayan Ruins & Beach Break. Visit the Mayan ruins of Tulum then swim at a local beach club.
    • Mexican Cooking Classes. Learn how to make Mexican food from a local chef, then head to the beach.
    • Deluxe Dolphin Swim. Travel to Chankanaab National Park to interact with bottlenose dolphins.
    • Adventure Park, Zipline & Snorkel. Enjoy zip-lining, rappelling, climbing and snorkeling.

We're getting ready to kick off this winter's Caribbean cruise season … and you're coming with us! Warm up for your upcoming Caribbean voyage (whether it's a virtual voyage -- or a real one) with Cruise Critic's Dan Askin on a seven-night Western Caribbean cruise aboard Crown Princess. But before we head south, we want to know: What makes a perfect Caribbean cruise for you?

Tell us by voting in our Caribbean season kick-off polls, where we'll let you make choices for me on dining, spa treatments, entertainment and island adventures.

Island Adventure. Which shore excursion in Cozumel is most compelling? Vote for your favorite -- and I'll share the adventure with you (and bring back a souvenir from Cozumel for one randomly selected voter). And after you vote, tell us about your idea of a perfect port day in Cozumel.

Voting for this poll will close on Sunday at 5 p.m. EST. Stay tuned for polls on spa and entertainment....

**Haven't Voted for Your Dining Style? Vote Here.

**Haven't Voted for Your Evening Entertainment? Vote Here.

**Haven't Voted for Your Spa Treatment? Vote Here.

cozumelsmallhomeuk2.jpg

My vote would be to hire a cab driver for the day to take me Playa Chen (used to be Playa Chen Rio before the hurricane to out the Rio) for a day of drinking kick a$$ margaritas, eating perfect seafood caught that morning, and swimming on the wild side of the island! Finish the day with a trip to the large local grocery store in town to load up on cheap tequila.

For us the perfect day is doing a little shopping at the new pier shopping area that was recently rebuilt after the hurricanes and then taking a taxi to Mr. Sanchos beach. At Mr. Sanchos beach they have all the ammenities that other beaches have if you want to partake of them for a nominal fee or you can just relax and enjoy the sun and water! Cozumel is our favorite port and as long as I with my wife then it is the perfect Caribbean vacation!:D

For us the perfect day is doing a little shopping at the new pier shopping area that was recently rebuilt after the hurricanes and then taking a taxi to Mr. Sanchos beach. At Mr. Sanchos beach they have all the ammenities that other beaches have if you want to partake of them for a nominal fee or you can just relax and enjoy the sun and water! Cozumel is our favorite port and as long as I with my wife then it is the perfect Caribbean vacation!:D

Ahh, the relaxing beach and shopping day ... and you must like your wife's company. Just curious, if you had to go the excursion route, which of the four would you choose?

I voted for the Mexican Cooking Class, what better way to learn how to cook some good Mexican food than in Mexico itself. Plus, if I remember correctly, I think it's right on the beach and you get some beach time too!

Even though it's a looooonnnnngggg whole-day journey, complete with Mr. Toad's wild ride (a.k.a. high speed stomach-churning ferry ride :eek:) from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen, the ruins in Tulum are just spectacular and not to be missed. Combine that with the nearby beach, and it's a perfect excursion day.:D

Although we've been to Coz many times, our favorite shore excursions aren't even on your list:

1. The Fury Catamaran - excellent cat to a snorkel site then a few hours on the beach. We had such a fun game of volleyball there, we kayaked, swam and met new people. On the sail home, there were flying fish jumping right in front of the cat. Beautiful cat, beautiful beach.

2. An island tour in a dune buggy - what a great way to see the island! We really enjoyed seeing the wild, untamed side of Coz. It is truly beautiful. The rock cliffs, the fierce wind, the pristine beaches were something that won't be around much longer. It was a great way to see how the real Cozumelians (is that right?) live.

We've done the dophin thing and weren't impressed. The handlers were rude, grouchy and impatient with the passengers. It was a total disappointment for many in our group.

Although we've been to Coz many times, our favorite shore excursions aren't even on your list:

1. The Fury Catamaran - excellent cat to a snorkel site then a few hours on the beach. We had such a fun game of volleyball there, we kayaked, swam and met new people. On the sail home, there were flying fish jumping right in front of the cat. Beautiful cat, beautiful beach.

2. An island tour in a dune buggy - what a great way to see the island! We really enjoyed seeing the wild, untamed side of Coz. It is truly beautiful. The rock cliffs, the fierce wind, the pristine beaches were something that won't be around much longer. It was a great way to see how the real Cozumelians (is that right?) live.

We've done the dophin thing and weren't impressed. The handlers were rude, grouchy and impatient with the passengers. It was a total disappointment for many in our group.

Definitely enjoy the specialty rental option for cruise calls -- used it almost exclusively on a Greek Isles cruise last year. If you have a port that's a manageable size, and you've been there a few times, it's the best way to get away from the throngs and explore. Doesn't get much better than cliffside dune buggying ... especially if you're in a place where it's a challenge to get lost.

A great day in Cozumel is one spent lounging on the pristine white sand beach at Nachi Cocum. Gorgeous crystal blue water and the ever flowing and ever present margaritas at my side. I love Nachi Cocum because they limit the number of people to 100 per day so you never feel like you are only get a square inch of beach when you are there. Food is great, service is outstanding, and it is only one of a handful of places I have been to where I can actually relax and breathe!

I chose the Tulum Mayan Ruins & Beach Break. Visit the Mayan ruins of Tulum then swim at a local beach club.

Visit pyramids without crossing the atlantic while enjoying some of the finest beaches in the world.. what could possibly be better? :D

My perfect day would start with breakfast served to my stateroom then off to Dolphin Discovery for the whole package:D. Down to Nachi's for some great food and Pina Colada's on their beach. A couple of hours downtown for some vanilla and shopping buys... Back to the ship for some special pampering from the great gals in spa. Pour myself into bed for the best sleep I have had in years.:D:D

I guess I'm in the minority, but I would love to do the zipline once before I get too old (is there any such thing?) I enjoyed Chankanaab when I was there a few years ago and would actually love to do each of the other excursions - at least once.

They are all great tours, however I have done the Mexican Cooking Class and it was a blast. Toured Tulum and relaxed on the powderd white sand, occationally taking a swim now and then. Never swam with dolphines, only sea rays and turtles. So I voted for zipline and snorkel.

Our most favorite excursion in Cozumel was the dune buggy and snorkel. I laughed so hard :D driving through all the mud and then it was time to wash the jeep so we drove really fast :eek: through a giant pond of water.

They are all great tours, however I have done the Mexican Cooking Class and it was a blast. Toured Tulum and relaxed on the powderd white sand, occationally taking a swim now and then. Never swam with dolphines, only sea rays and turtles. So I voted for zipline and snorkel.

Our most favorite excursion in Cozumel was the dune buggy and snorkel. I laughed so hard :D driving through all the mud and then it was time to wash the jeep so we drove really fast :eek: through a giant pond of water.

What kind of stuff did you make on the cooking class excursion? While the cooking part isn't hugely appealing, I'm a championship-caliber hot salsa eater.

A selection of only four when there is soooo much more to do?

I chose Tulum because that was our choice on our first cruise, and certainly a "must do" once. Since then we have visited San Gervasio, another interesting but quite different Mayan ruins experience that is not a full gruelling day experience. We've been to Chankanaab for swimming and shows. We've gone snorkeling on Princess Excursions and most recently we've gone on our own to snorkel at Dzul Ha. We've enjoyed every visit.

We've shopped and not shopped, and even waved at Cozumel from the ship when it was too rough to dock.

We'd love to snorkel with the dolphins, if their "owners" decreased the price.

Would we go back again? You bet.

Archived