Room Service

Jo and Rob

What drinks / food items are available for free? Could you tell me whether standard coffee and tea is no extra charge for room service? How long is the wait from the phone call to the room service delivery? (we normally bring a travel kettle on holiday - is it a good idea on a cruise?) Is it okay to order a coffee / tea in the morning and then go down to breakfast after? We really want to enjoy the full experience of cruising without having a heart attack when it comes to paying the bill at the end!

many thanks

:)

Coffee and tea are available free thru room service 24 hours.

Continental breakfast free during morning.

Sandwiches & salads free 24 hours.

takes about 15 to 30 minutes.

Breakfast can be pre ordered the night before.

You can get breakfast delivered, then go to the dining room and then go to the buffet if you want. :)

What drinks / food items are available for free? Could you tell me whether standard coffee and tea is no extra charge for room service? How long is the wait from the phone call to the room service delivery? (we normally bring a travel kettle on holiday - is it a good idea on a cruise?) Is it okay to order a coffee / tea in the morning and then go down to breakfast after? We really want to enjoy the full experience of cruising without having a heart attack when it comes to paying the bill at the end!

many thanks

:)

There will be a menu in your cabin .. if there is a charge for something, it will be clearly noted on the menu. Otherwise, everything else is free. That includes standard coffee and tea.

Wait is generally no more than 10-15 minutes. For morning coffee or tea )(and other breakfast food) you can actually order the night before, tell them when you want it delivered, and it's within 5 minutes of the time you requested.

You can have whatever you want (that's on the menu!) delivered to your room, then go to the main dining room for breakfast (which we prefer, as the buffet is always crowded!), and then go to the buffet...all free, no extra cost, all part of your cruise fare. And you can go back to the buffet all day whenever you want to..also free.

It's been awhile since I've cruised on Princess...but you should also check to see if they still have an afternoon tea -- usually on "sea days" -- this is also free, part of your cruise experience, and one of the things that I dearly loved on Princes.. White glove service, lots of your usual "tea" items -- scones, finger sandwiches, delightful pastries, clotted cream, tea (of course!), coffee, etc. You could make a full meal of it!

As for room service -- this is totally optional, but folks generally do leave a small tip -- $1-2 for "just coffee or tea", a bit more if you order many more dishes., for the person delivering your food. But again, this is optional.

Have a great cruise! Princess is probably my favorite line, to date.. :)

We usually get coffee and some danish delivered by room service to have while we get dressed in the morning. Then we go down to the dining room for breakfast. We love having coffee in our room the first thing, so we order it the night before.

As for room service -- this is totally optional, but folks generally do leave a small tip -- $1-2 for "just coffee or tea", a bit more if you order many more dishes., for the person delivering your food. But again, this is optional.

e.. :)

What folks are you talking about? The tip is included in the daily amount Princess charges on your card so I believe most FOLKS don't like to double tip but of course you can. All food service is included in your daily $10.50 PP daily charge for gratuity. You can tip more if you believe you got extra service but you needn't feel obligated to tip above the standard amount.

What folks are you talking about? The tip is included in the daily amount Princess charges on your card so I believe most FOLKS don't like to double tip but of course you can. All food service is included in your daily $10.50 PP daily charge for gratuity. You can tip more if you believe you got extra service but you needn't feel obligated to tip above the standard amount.

Actually, except here on the CC boards, I had never heard of anyone not tipping for room service delivery. So, I would estimate that 'most' passengers do tip upon delivery of room service. ;)

I am not an over tipper, or a person who tips when its not needed ,, but, I have always tipped room service ... They may have changed things,, but I seem to recall reading that room service was not included.. . Anyways,, I would give a buck or two for a coffee service,, it won't kill you, and frankly,, they will be bringing it tomorrow ,, so you do like it hot right? LOL

And you would be wrong. The daily amount Princess charges does not necessarily include the folks who deliver room service, and the room service is a service beyond what is generally considered their job. And yes, most people do leave a small tip. And I did say it was voluntary, without obligation...a true tip, rather than service charge.

And you would be wrong. The daily amount Princess charges does not necessarily include the folks who deliver room service, and the room service is a service beyond what is generally considered their job. And yes, most people do leave a small tip. And I did say it was voluntary, without obligation...a true tip, rather than service charge.

I have just checked my Princess Cruise answer book that was sent with the travel information for our cruise next month and it says:

"The Hotel and Dining charge will be shared amongst those staff who help and support your cruise experience, including the wait staff, stateroom stewards and accommodation staff ...etc"

I have just checked my Princess Cruise answer book that was sent with the travel information for our cruise next month and it says:

"The Hotel and Dining charge will be shared amongst those staff who help and support your cruise experience, including the wait staff, stateroom stewards and accommodation staff ...etc"

Yes, that is correct. The hotel and dining charge will be shared, just as described. It's just that -- sometimes...not all the time, perhaps, but sometimes...the folks who bring you room service are not dining staff, nor necessarily room stewards. They're crew members to be sure...but it appears that they were somewhere near the kitchen when a room service order was ready to be delivered, and were asked to deliver it, maybe on their way to somewhere else on the ship. As a favor.

Sometimes the delivery person is one of the "wait staff, stateroom stewards, accommodation staff". To be sure, I'm not at all sure who or what "accommodation staff" are.

But again -- as I said originally -- it is entirely up to you whether you tip the person who delivers your room service order or not. I stated what generally is done -- they're given a small tip -- but you can certainly choose not to, if you prefer.

My last cruise was only my second cruise, and was the first time we did room service. We were upgraded to a mini-suite so had convenient area to sit and eat. We put out door hanger order form before retiring each night. This was on Crown Princess and the order form menu was more a continental breakfast type menu if I remember correctly; muffins and cereals and fruit, etc. I got some $2 bills before cruise for tipping room service wait staff as I wasn't sure they would be included in the regular auto tipping charge. My wife though likes full breakfast buffet so we may do that more on next cruise. I like the dining room breakfast but DW doesn't like to get so involved for breakfast. Lots of options.

I am a folk.

My last cruise was only my second cruise, and was the first time we did room service. We were upgraded to a mini-suite so had convenient area to sit and eat. We put out door hanger order form before retiring each night. This was on Crown Princess and the order form menu was more a continental breakfast type menu if I remember correctly; muffins and cereals and fruit, etc. I got some $2 bills before cruise for tipping room service wait staff as I wasn't sure they would be included in the regular auto tipping charge. My wife though likes full breakfast buffet so we may do that more on next cruise. I like the dining room breakfast but DW doesn't like to get so involved for breakfast. Lots of options.

Just for your info, it is difficult to exchange US $2 bills in foriegn countries.

Back to the great service (we tip $2.00 for each delivery)!! I love to share this story...On our last CB cruise, my daughter, Mom and I, used the back of the room service menu and we randomly wrote down the word "NY Cheesecake" (my daughter was craving it) low and behold, along with our coffee and breakfast we got the NY cheesecake!! It was scrumptious too!! It was the same dessert from the dining room, from the previous night!! One more thing I like about the room service on Princess is that they will deliver a pitcher of ice tea, and that just makes my day!! Just a note to fruit lovers...when you order the "Melon in Season" off the Continental Stateroom Breakfast Menu, it arrives in "tid-bit" style. It is cut up very small and combined into a bowl. If you are traveling with babies, it is perfect! I myself, care to cut up my fruit...but everyone has a personal preference.

Here is the menu:

Juices: orange, prune, tomato & apple

Fresh Fruits: half grapefruit, sliced orange, bananas, melon in season

Yogurt: plain, fruit

Cold Cereals: raisin bran, special k, all bran, frosted flakes, corn flakes, mueslix, shredded wheat

Breads & Pastries: danish pastry, bread rolls, croissants

Preserves: butter, apricot jam, honey, strawberry jam, orange marmalade

Beverages: hot milk, coffee, hot tea, cold milk, herbal tea, skim milk, cream, decaffeinated

Overall, a nice selection. Happy cruising to all!!

ROOM SERVICE MENU – PRINCESS CRUISES

SANDWICHES

ROAST BEEF

Lean, thin slices of roast beef with lettuce and tomato

on white, wheat or rye bread.

ROAST TURKEY BREAST

Slices of roast turkey with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise

on whole wheat or rye bread.

TUNA SALAD

A combination of flaked tuna, chopped celery, and mayonnaise

on white sandwich bread.

VEGETARIAN

Ripe avocado, lettuce and tomato on multigrain deli-bread.

Swiss cheese can be added by request.

CLUB HOUSE

Traditional double-decker consisting of crisp bacon,

lettuce, tomato, thinly sliced roast turkey breast and mayonnaise

on toasted white or wheat bread.

All sandwiches are served with your choice

of french fries, potato chips or coleslaw.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SALADS

ASSORTED MIXED GARDEN GREENS

Your choice of house or low-calorie dressings.

CHEF'S SALAD

Strips of ham, turkey breast, Swiss cheese and roast beef on a

bed of crisp iceberg lettuce, garnished with tomato and hard boiled

egg wedges. Your choice of house or low-calo-rie dressings.

CAESAR SALAD WITH CHICKEN STRIPS

A classical Caesar salad crowned with sauteed Cajun spiced

strips of chicken breast.

HOT FROM THE GALLEY

SOUP OF THE DAY

BEEF BROTH WITH STRIPS OF VEGETABLES

CROQUE MONSIEUR

Grilled ham and Swiss cheese between white bread, complemented

by your choice of french fries, potato chips or coleslaw.

GRILLED HAMBURGER OR CHEESEBURGER

Ground beef patty on sesame seed bun with sliced tomato, lettuce,

onion and kosher dill pickle, accompanied by your choice of

french fries, potato chips or coleslaw.

BALL PARK-STYLE HOT DOG

With sweet relish, chopped onions, ketchup and mustard, served with

your choice of french froes, potato chips or coleslaw.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM THE PASTRY SHOP

CARMEL FLAN

Vanilla custard topped with a dollop of whipped cream.

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE

CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE

With chantilly cream.

FROM THE PANTRY

Coffee, tea and milk are available 24 hours

*Some of these items may not be available on some ships.

Can you order a sandwich the night before to be delivered in the morning - to take on an excursion? Or do they only serve breakfast in the morning?

I have never tried doing that. But I must comment. Check the Princess patter the night before you go on tour, some countries will not allow fresh foods, such as meats, fruits or vegetables to be taken off the ship and onto their shores. ;)

Can you order a sandwich the night before to be delivered in the morning - to take on an excursion? Or do they only serve breakfast in the morning?

Most sandwiches have lettuce and tomato on them. It is illegal to carry fresh veggies to most port.

That said, as far as the ship is concerned, I see you reason you could not order a sandwich in advance. While they may suspect your intentions, they do not know they are not for breakfast.

OK cruise prices have been kinda low the last few years. You get all the food you could want to eat and some included beverages. You can get limited room service. People don't want to give a dollar or two for this service. (does your coffee taste funny the next day??:eek:)

Now go to a hotel or a resort, their prices are not cheap, you don't get any meals included, you can order off of a limited room service menu and a delivery and gratuity charge is added and there is normally a minimum dollar amt. that you need to order. And the people working at the hotels are normally getting more than minimum wage.

This past cruise we were in a suite and were able to get full room service but did not use it until the last morning(thanks to the FYI from TOTO) we had breakfast delivered that morning and were quite happy to leave a tip.

I wish that Princess offered a better breakfast menu. On Holland America, I was able to get bagel with lox and cream cheese (my favorite!) but I have tried writing it in on the card for room service breakfast to no avail. May like to try Ultimate Balcony Breakfast that I've heard about. What food is included?

This is my first Princess experience. However on other cruises we pack a soft sided lunch bag. In the morning we order sandwiches and a couple of bottled waters. We bring zip lock bags and pack it in our insulated lunch bag. Works great.

Archived