Caviar on Silversea?

rjms74

Hello,

I am on my first Silversea cruise next month on Whisper and wonder if you can order caviar in the main restaurant or via room service without charge?

Can you aslo order off menu easily in The Restaurant and via room service if you do not like any of the menu choices. I have mainly sailed with Cunard Queens Grill hence the query for when I try a different line.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

From January, 2008 (right after our last Silver Shadow voyage), caviar was no longer free unless it was part of the regular menu (on special occasions). So you can get it anywhere if you pay for it, but not free.

You can order off menu for many things (e.g. foie gras), but for things that require preparation (e.g. king crab legs) you have to pre-order the night before, such that they have time to defrost, etc. The same food available in the main dining room is available by room service, and you can actually request "course by course" room service (which we did once just to try it out). However, for specialty food like those available in Le Champagne, and presumably also the "hot rock" meals poolside, you will not be able to get by room service.

Hello,

I am on my first Silversea cruise next month on Whisper and wonder if you can order caviar in the main restaurant or via room service without charge?

Can you aslo order off menu easily in The Restaurant and via room service if you do not like any of the menu choices. I have mainly sailed with Cunard Queens Grill hence the query for when I try a different line.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

You will need to travel with Seabourn for all the inclusive caviar you can eat.

Hello, I am on my first Silversea cruise next month on Whisper and wonder if you can order caviar in the main restaurant or via room service without charge? Can you aslo order off menu easily in The Restaurant and via room service if you do not like any of the menu choices. I have mainly sailed with Cunard Queens Grill hence the query for when I try a different line. Kind Regards, RJMS74

We didn't seek to order caviar off of the main menu or room service. It was offered during the Galley Buffet during one lunch. That visual is shown below. I think much depends on how each Executive Chef can adjust and manage their budgets. They seek to offer good variety and high quality, but in this current economy, even the higher-end lines are working to be competitive on their "sticker prices". That requires some "balancing" on what's offered. We were extremely pleased with the food offerings during our recent Silver Cloud cruise. We had a 15-day cruise and didn't feel "bored" by the same things, over and over. If you have some special interests or needs, ASK. We found the staff to be very responsive and helpful. Check out more food and other cruise details from the detailed postings on our cruise. Below are some dining details and examples of the visuals for what we enjoyed and was offered.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Three different types of caviar are offered at this lunch buffet.:

CloudBuffetsCaviers.jpg

For our final dining the main dining room, here is that visual report. First, is the salmon trilogy sampler with a tartare, salmon-crab roulade and salmon rilletts. There were also appetizer options this night for goat cheese and cherry tomato tian and veal sweetbreads with crayfish sauce.:

CloudDinner1stCourse.jpg

Second, is this pasta . . . cannelloni with a herb and Parmesan filling, plus purple artichokes. There were also “intermezzo” options this night for crumbled blue cheese salad or dumpling soup with black rye bird dumplings and soured cabbage and caraway. :

CloudDinner2ndCourse.jpg

For our final dining main course, after the strawberry sorbet serving, I had in the main dining room, this Angus beef that was called “Entrecote Rossini”. It was served with fois gras, a crispy potato galette and truffled jus. There were also main course options of sautéed sea scallop and shrimps, slow-cooked pigeon “Souvaroff” or summer lasagna without meat in it. There would be a Relais & Chateaux chef-suggested way to pick a selection for these three courses based on their “collection” of menu items for Silversea. Wellness and vegetarian options were noted on the menu. You could do menu special orders with a day’s advance notice to the kitchen. We did this as a group with a special Thai dinner that evening. If you had special diet needs, the kitchen should be advised in advance and they adjust well.:

CloudDinnerMainCourse.jpg

For dessert on our final evening in the main dining room, here is that visual of my apple-related pastry with great sauce, etc.:

CloudDinnerDessert.jpg

Great pictures and enticing dishes. November is coming soon enough, and if we manage to climb on board the Spirit, we will see what cat food they have to offer .. meow!

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures and these great dishes! Since you like "cat food", don't forget . . . the afternoon tea in order to tide you over until dinner. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

In the Silver Cloud’s Panorama Lounge, they have great back and high views from the windows and open rear deck. Inside, afternoon “Tea” is offered. There is music as people enjoy their beverages (more than just tea) and lots of tasty treats. Below is a sampling of these food delights. Each item is smaller so the calories are less.:

CloudPanoramaLge.jpg

CloudTeaDelights.jpg

Here’s another sampling of the special dessert treats for our Galley Lunch Buffet.:

CloudBuffetDessertsTwo.jpg

Folks are sampling various items around the ice carving at another mid-day buffet.:

CloudInterBuffetGrazing.jpg

In the Panorama Lounge late in the one of the afternoons, they had a chocolate special “event” with lots and lots of desserts and treats all from that magic item. Plus, there was nice piano music while you enjoyed.:

CloudChocBarPiano.jpg

oh my god...I'm going to be spending all my time walking/jogging on the deck...I hear the ports are highly over-rated anyway,lol. Thanks for the great pics and calorie warning,lol.

THANKS for the nice comments! YES, walking around lots on the ship and while in port is important to allow more room for added "goodie" available on the ship. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We didn't seek to order caviar off of the main menu or room service. It was offered during the Galley Buffet during one lunch. That visual is shown below. I think much depends on how each Executive Chef can adjust and manage their budgets. They seek to offer good variety and high quality, but in this current economy, even the higher-end lines are working to be competitive on their "sticker prices". That requires some "balancing" on what's offered. We were extremely pleased with the food offerings during our recent Silver Cloud cruise. We had a 15-day cruise and didn't feel "bored" by the same things, over and over. If you have some special interests or needs, ASK. We found the staff to be very responsive and helpful. Check out more food and other cruise details from the detailed postings on our cruise. Below are some dining details and examples of the visuals for what we enjoyed and was offered.

Three different types of caviar are offered at this lunch buffet.:

CloudBuffetsCaviers.jpg

For our final dining the main dining room, here is that visual report. First, is the salmon trilogy sampler with a tartare, salmon-crab roulade and salmon rilletts. There were also appetizer options this night for goat cheese and cherry tomato tian and veal sweetbreads with crayfish sauce.:

CloudDinner1stCourse.jpg

Second, is this pasta . . . cannelloni with a herb and Parmesan filling, plus purple artichokes. There were also “intermezzo” options this night for crumbled blue cheese salad or dumpling soup with black rye bird dumplings and soured cabbage and caraway. :

CloudDinner2ndCourse.jpg

For our final dining main course, after the strawberry sorbet serving, I had in the main dining room, this Angus beef that was called “Entrecote Rossini”. It was served with fois gras, a crispy potato galette and truffled jus. There were also main course options of sautéed sea scallop and shrimps, slow-cooked pigeon “Souvaroff” or summer lasagna without meat in it. There would be a Relais & Chateaux chef-suggested way to pick a selection for these three courses based on their “collection” of menu items for Silversea. Wellness and vegetarian options were noted on the menu. You could do menu special orders with a day’s advance notice to the kitchen. We did this as a group with a special Thai dinner that evening. If you had special diet needs, the kitchen should be advised in advance and they adjust well.:

CloudDinnerMainCourse.jpg

For dessert on our final evening in the main dining room, here is that visual of my apple-related pastry with great sauce, etc.:

CloudDinnerDessert.jpg

We were on The Spirit for two weeks in July...there was no Galley Lunch.

Terry, looking at your picture of the piano player,can I assume that when his left hand plays some low notes, he quickly snatches one of those chocolate whirls? I would forgive him for not using the tongs.

I didn't see the piano player grabbing any "quick snacks" and he seemed pretty slim and trim. Good idea to do some "sampling". I'm not a big chocolate person, so I just looked and took calorie-free pictures. Yes, I plead guilty to sampling the other dessert treats.

Cruzmaven,

Were your two weeks on Spirit a b2b? If so, do they not do the Galley lunch on seven day cruises at all? Do they do them on longer cruises, almost a moot question since the majority of their itineraries are seven days?

Archived