The difference between A4 and B5?

lara68

We have quaranteed rooms on our TA on the QM2. It shows on one leg of our journey we are in a A4, on the other a B5. Does anyone know the basic difference between the two categories?

The cabins are much the same, the only real difference is that the A4's are glass fronted balconies but with a liftboat blocking all or some of the view, the B5's are in hull balconies so not much good for sun bathing but great for getting fresh air and looking at the view.

The cabins are much the same, the only real difference is that the A4's are glass fronted balconies but with a liftboat blocking all or some of the view, the B5's are in hull balconies so not much good for sun bathing but great for getting fresh air and looking at the view.

Hi Lanky Lad,

It's my understanding that B5's are obstructed view, in hull balconies on Deck 4 (although I don't know what is obstructing the view) :confused:

Cheers,

Salacia

Hi Lanky Lad,

It's my understanding that B5's are obstructed view, in hull balconies on Deck 4 (although I don't know what is obstructing the view) :confused:

Cheers,

Salacia

Hi, Salacia.

I think we have a bit of a mystery on our hands with the B5 category.

I don't think the B5 staterooms are actually obstructed view, although I can see where you are coming from. A set of deck plans I have states in the legend "A4, B5, and B6 staterooms have views partially obstructed by lifeboats". I think that's a mistake because there is no B6 category on the QM2 deck plans anymore.

The B5 staterooms are 4208, 4212, 4223, and 4225, the four furthest aft staterooms on deck 4. There are clearly no lifeboats anywhere near that area.

Older deck plans from 2006 show the B5 and B6 categories as the obstructed view staterooms on deck 8. These are the staterooms that do indeed have views obstructed by lifeboats and which have been changed to category A4 on the current deck plans.

But to add to the confusion, I did a partial booking of a B5 stateroom on cunard.com and it did state "Staterooms B5 & B6 have an obstructed view." Again, as far as I know there is no B6 category on QM2 anymore. So either Cunard is confused or I am.

One final question in my mind is why the B5 category even exists as a separate category from B4. I wonder what is different about those four staterooms furthest aft on deck 4 that they merit their own separate category. The price quoted on cunard.com for the B5 category is exactly the same as for the B4 category in the partial booking I did.

I checked the latest deck plan, and those 4 cabins are right above G32. :eek:

And on the Cunard site, they are classified as "waitlisted" if one wants to book. My guess is they're held for GTY sales only.

Hi, Vic.

That sounds like a reasonable theory to me that those B5 staterooms might be classified as a separate category because of their location above G32. I hadn't noticed that.

The B5 staterooms are not all waitlisted on the voyage I happened to check (the Jan 3, 2012 Transatlantic). On that voyage I am able to choose staterooms 4208, 4223, or 4225.

And just out of curiosity, I checked the QM2 2012 World Voyage to see if there was any price difference between B4 and B5 on that longer voyage. Again, the price quoted for B4 and B5 are identical. So, if the B5 category is somehow considered to be less desirable than B4, that does not appear to be reflected in Cunard's pricing.

Hi Vic and Bluemarble. That B5 category has been a mystery to me for awhile, so I'm delighted to read postings regarding B5B6 and A4.

Early in 2009, I booked a B5 cabin (described as an obstructed view balcony on Deck 4) because the price was a few hundred dollars lower than B4 for a Caribbean voyage in Nov. 2009. Happily, the Up Grade Fairy paid us a visit.:) Last March, I again booked a B5 because again it was less expensive than B4 by a few hundred dollars. But a couple of months later, I noticed that my travel agent's website was offering B4 for the same price as B5, so I immediately had the booking changed from B4 to B5.

I seem to remember that there was a B6 category before A4 category was "created", but then B5 became A4 and B6 became B5. (Ouch, that made my head hurt :D)

Salacia

... I seem to remember that there was a B6 category before A4 category was "created", but then B5 became A4 and B6 became B5. (Ouch, that made my head hurt :D)

Salacia

That's close. I didn't recall the details myself, but when I compare the old deck plans to the new deck plans, both of the old B5 and B6 categories were converted to the new A4 category. These are staterooms on deck 8 that used to be called "Premium Balcony (Obstructed View)" and are now called "Deluxe Balcony (Obstructed View)"

The four staterooms that are currently category B5 were taken out of the block of staterooms that were, and are still, category B4. Both B4 and B5 are now called "Premium Balcony (Sheltered)". The B6 category has disappeared completely as far as I can tell.

I hope I got that right. Now my head hurts too!

Partial quote:

The four staterooms that are currently category B5 were taken out of the block of staterooms that were, and are still, category B4. Both B4 and B5 are now called "Premium Balcony (Sheltered)". The B6 category has disappeared completely as far as I can tell.

Hi Bluemarble. Pass the headache tablets please :eek:...

Yes, both B4 and B5 are called "Premium Balcony (Sheltered)",but B4 is termed 'unobstructed view', and B5 'obstructed view' on Deck 4.

I can't find the source for this, but I remember reading that there are two high speed rescue boats on QM2, in addition to the tenders that obscure the view on most A4 "Deluxe Balcony" cabins on Deck 8. I'm wondering if those boats could be what obscures the view on Cat B5 cabins on Deck 4?

Would love to read comments from those who have experience of a B5 cabin. Please.:)

Salacia

Hi Bluemarble. Pass the headache tablets please :eek:...

Yes, both B4 and B5 are called "Premium Balcony (Sheltered)",but B4 is termed 'unobstructed view', and B5 'obstructed view' on Deck 4.

I can't find the source for this, but I remember reading that there are two high speed rescue boats on QM2, in addition to the tenders that obscure the view on most A4 "Deluxe Balcony" cabins on Deck 8. I'm wondering if those boats could be what obscures the view on Cat B5 cabins on Deck 4?

Would love to read comments from those who have experience of a B5 cabin. Please.:)

Salacia

Hi again Salacia,

QM2 category B5 mystery continued…

I see the OP, lara68, has started a new thread asking about cabins above G32 and has already received several replies, so I trust it won’t disrupt her getting an answer to her question to continue the discussion of QM2 category B5 here.

We may be able to put this mystery to rest by referring to the latest "2011/Winter 2012 Voyages Brochure" which is available for download on cunard.com. It lists the Britannia Balcony categories on its QM2 deck plans as follows:

A1-A3 Deluxe Balcony

A4 Deluxe Balcony (Obstructed View)

B1-B5 Premium Balcony (Sheltered)

Then it goes on state:

A4 Staterooms have views partially obstructed by lifeboats; B5 Staterooms are sheltered.

As you have found, there are many places on the Internet where the B5 category is listed as "Premium Balcony (Obstructed View)". Even the deck plan for QM2 deck 4 on Cruise Critic lists the B5 category that way. I believe this is a hold-over from when the B5 category was assigned to staterooms on deck 8. At that time, the description for the B5 category was indeed "Premium Balcony (Obstructed View)". I really think these are situations where the B5 category description on many of the web sites has not yet been updated to reflect the correct description.

I have reviewed quite a few photos of the QM2 available online and none of them show any kind of obstruction on deck 4 where the B5 staterooms are located.

Of course I too would welcome any comments from those who have been in a B5 stateroom to verify this from actual experience.

I have found several earlier threads asking about staterooms which are now in the B5 category. Here are links to three of those threads which are particularly helpful for this discussion.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1056634

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=949374

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=895943

I'm pretty sure the obstruction that Cunard is talking about is the bulkhead on those cabin balconies.

Like thier description for the other sheltered balcony cabins ... "bulkhead instead of Plexiglass".

Hi Vic. I don't think that's the case, because if that were, then all in hull balconcies would be termed "obstructed". But they're not, only Cat B5 (and the illusive B6 that sometimes appears) are sold as "obstructed", all the other B's are unobstructed.

I'm almost sorry I changed by future booking from B5 to B4...would have liked to see what the story is on B5. :)

Salacia

Hi Vic. I don't think that's the case, because if that were, then all in hull balconcies would be termed "obstructed". But they're not, only Cat B5 (and the illusive B6 that sometimes appears) are sold as "obstructed", all the other B's are unobstructed.

Hmmmm ... I really don't know. :confused:

I have to look closely at her photo. Nice example of a complete hull shot in a giant book I have, and the picture really shows the details.

I'll check it out when I get home this evening. :)

I have a photo taken of QM2 when she was in Boston over the 4th in 2009. Not sure how to post the hull shot but here is my read on the B5s. There are two "windows" in G32, the forward ones being under B5 cabins 4212 and 4225. Directly above the four B5s are B3s - 5238, 5240, 5259 and 5261. Further aft are B3s 5244, 5246, 5263 and 5265 followed by C1s 5248, 5250, 5267, and 5269.

The balconies on these B5s look just the same as the other sheltered balconies

I agree with bluemarble that the confusion stems from the "early days" when the deck 8 cabins were B5s (have an old QM brochure showing them).

So maybe the reason for the B5 designation is the possibility of a bit of noise from G32

I have a photo taken of QM2 when she was in Boston over the 4th in 2009. Not sure how to post the hull shot but here is my read on the B5s. There are two "windows" in G32, the forward ones being under B5 cabins 4212 and 4225. Directly above the four B5s are B3s - 5238, 5240, 5259 and 5261. Further aft are B3s 5244, 5246, 5263 and 5265 followed by C1s 5248, 5250, 5267, and 5269.

The balconies on these B5s look just the same as the other sheltered balconies

I agree with bluemarble that the confusion stems from the "early days" when the deck 8 cabins were B5s (have an old QM brochure showing them).

So maybe the reason for the B5 designation is the possibility of a bit of noise from G32

Hi Hcrane. Thanks, Bluemarble's and your theory makes sense.:) I'm a bit surprised that Cunard calls B5 obstructed view balcony when there's no apparent obstruction...or is noise obstruction a popular term on the other side of the pond?:confused: It's also suprising to see mention of the phantom Category B6 show up in current places like Voyage Personalizer. Ah well, shall we call it mystery solved? :D

Cheers,

Salacia

Hi Hcrane. Thanks, Bluemarble's and your theory makes sense.:) I'm a bit surprised that Cunard calls B5 obstructed view balcony when there's no apparent obstruction...or is noise obstruction a popular term on the other side of the pond?:confused: It's also suprising to see mention of the phantom Category B6 show up in current places like Voyage Personalizer. Ah well, shall we call it mystery solved? :D

Cheers,

Salacia

Yes, I think we can call it mystery solved.

Crane e-mailed me his QM2 photo and I will post a portion of it later this evening with the location of the B5 staterooms indicated on it, just to illustrate there are no apparent obstructions.

ok, so let me see if I get this right from the "experts": A4 is an obstructed view with glass and the B5 is above G32?? Thanks for such a lively discussion.. From reading your posts, I'm not sure which cabin will be better!!

lara, my guess is that both will be fine! Plus it's exciting to stay in two different categories. I'll be very interested in reading your posts after your voyage.

BTW, if you don't mind my asking, did you book Cat A4 and B5 or did you get a visit from the upgrade fairy?

Cheers,

Salacia

Archived