Tracy Arm photos revised

DougH

Here is another album post that might be easier to see.

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00a1-df12-1a76?ln

Photos were taken on the all day Adventure Bound trip from Juneau down to Tracy Arm. Sure a spectacular day, way different the the experience from the cruise ship. Thanks to Capt Steve and his lovely crew for a fantastic day.

Glad you like the photos MercedMike. I had lots of trouble getting the link to my Kodak gallery to work so used the slideshow from the CC photography section. It was very easy to use and I'll be creating some more shortly.

Awesome Pictures! Makes me more excited for our trip in Tracy Arm next week :D

Note that on the cruise ship you will get nowhere near this close. These were taken on the small boat all day Adventure Bound tour from Juneau. A week later on the Royal Princess we didn't get within miles of the glacier face.

You can take either Adventure Bound or I believe Allen Marine from Juneau or the add on Tracy Arm option if your cruise line offers it for the "up close and personal" experience.

I highly recommend Adventure Bound if your schedule in Juneau allows.

• 4 months later...

Very nice pictures, overcast days are sometimes the best for things on the water and the likes of ice etc.

FWIW people should be aware that as wonderful and close up the pictures appear of the glacier very rarely do the ships even the smaller ones get as close as they do in Glacier Bay and Hubard, ditto with wildlife. No question your prospective from 10' off the water versus 50-60ft up on the cruise ship of things like ice flows, seals on ice, and getting really close to shear rock walls and waterfalls are spectacular.

Very nice pictures, overcast days are sometimes the best for things on the water and the likes of ice etc.

FWIW people should be aware that as wonderful and close up the pictures appear of the glacier very rarely do the ships even the smaller ones get as close as they do in Glacier Bay and Hubard, ditto with wildlife. No question your prospective from 10' off the water versus 50-60ft up on the cruise ship of things like ice flows, seals on ice, and getting really close to shear rock walls and waterfalls are spectacular.

Not sure of the point. BUT, access is actually the closest of the Sawyers or Dawes Glaciers of the inside passage glaciers. You do NOT get closer by cruiseship to either Glacier bay glaciers or Hubbard. FAR closer potential on either of these boat tours.

Fantastic photos! Can't wait for our July trip. Willing to share lens types? Thinking of renting a 100mm-400mm.

Could you tell me how long the round trip excursion was? We are thinking of doing this tour, but only have 8 hours in Juneau. I don't think it is long enough, but our cruise line says yes, it is.

Some of the cruise ships lines have ship exclusive excursions where you either board in Juneau and meet back with the ship in Tracy Arm or board near the end of the Tracy Arm and meet the ship back in port. These aren't officially as long as you are drafting on ship sailing time.

If you take the round trip from Juneau 8 hours port time isn't enough time. You can read up about the roundtrip tours here: http://www.allenmarinetours.com/sightseeing/juneau/index.html

With 8 hours I'd think about doing whale watching, Mendehall and a walk around town. Mt Roberts as the thing to consider doing.

Fantastic photos! Can't wait for our July trip. Willing to share lens types? Thinking of renting a 100mm-400mm.

Could you tell me how long the round trip excursion was? We are thinking of doing this tour, but only have 8 hours in Juneau. I don't think it is long enough, but our cruise line says yes, it is.

What are you sailing???

IF you want to d a round trip Juneau Tracy Arm boat tour, you need 12 hours in port. 7-7.

What is your "cruiseline" reference. NONE of the cruiselines book these all day round trip Juneau tours.

So, I am going to assume, you are on a ship with a Tracy Arm itinerary, which means, you HAVE to book the ship Tracy Arm shore excursion add on. This has NOTHING to do with your port time. This tour is when the cruiseship is scheduled for Tracy Arm.

What are you sailing???

IF you want to d a round trip Juneau Tracy Arm boat tour, you need 12 hours in port. 7-7.

What is your "cruiseline" reference. NONE of the cruiselines book these all day round trip Juneau tours.

So, I am going to assume, you are on a ship with a Tracy Arm itinerary, which means, you HAVE to book the ship Tracy Arm shore excursion add on. This has NOTHING to do with your port time. This tour is when the cruiseship is scheduled for Tracy Arm.

we are sailing on the Norwegian Pearl which goes to Glacier Bay. I thought it sounded crazy when the excursion rep gave me that info. The cruiseline reference was the actual excursion department through the Norwegian.

Photos were taken with a Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR using Canon 28-135 & 75-300 lenses and a Sigma 10-20 super wide angle lens. Glad you like them. I highly recomemdnd the all day Adventure Bound tour, Capt Steve and crew are fun to spend the day with.

Archived