Anyone been lucky at the pier with upgrades?

Fury1995

I have tried 3 times to "upgrade" at the pier and have been told no. So many people have said they had no problem before I tried but I have had no luck. What's the trick anyway????? Has anybody had any luck at this?

The first cruise I went on, I received a two class upgrade. Obviously, this wasn't becuase I had been a frequent cruiser.

I think the reason was: this was a cruise in "shoulder season", specifically early December, when bookings are relatively slow. If there are rooms available, it behooves the cruise line to upgrade, thus building goodwill, and hopefully creating a frequent future cruiser.

Lo and behold, since this cruise in '98, I've cruised another seven times, and I have three more in the hopper in the next 13 months!

It's virtually impossible getting upgrades at peak times (Late June and July in Alaska, any holiday sailings, late March and April in the Caribbean). Ships during these times can, and do, run at more than 100% capacity.

I certainly would guess that time of year, which directly affects ship occupancy, would be the number one factor. In my case, loyalty to the line was a non-factor, as I had never cruised before; Nevertheless, I would guess that being a return guest might factor in, and maybe the TA you use and whether he/she is a big producer for the cruise line.

Two years ago I got a complimentary upgrade a month before we sailed, just for the asking.

This time, I am still 3 months before sail date, and everything above my classification is sold out, and in fact all of the GS and almost all of the JS suites are fully booked.

These were both June cruises. Go figure. :(

Cheers!

Your question is about upgrades at the pier. Lots of people are successful in buying an upgrade at the pier. After they've checked in for their cruise, they then go to see the pier coordinator. Of course, the chances of an upgrade would largely depend on how full the ship is and whether there are any cabins available. Your best bet would be to go a travel site and check to see which cabins are available for your sailing. If you see cabins available in the category you're looking to upgrade to, then arrive at the pier early on the morning of your cruise and check with the pier coordinator.

I've successfully purchased an upgrade a few years ago, but now I book the category and cabin I want when I make the booking - then I don't have to worry about getting to the pier early.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Soozin

Yup... my point exactly. Now that I know the cabins are already booked above my category, I won't even attempt to get there early for upgrades.

I agree about checking the travel web sites to see if they are still selling anything above your cat level. Always helps to be forewarned and forearmed.

Knowlege is power! :D

Cheers!

We upgraded from an oceanview to a balcony last year at the pier. I checked online the night before to see if there were still cabins and it showed 2 balconies left. When we got to the pier and checked-in, I asked the person checking us in where the pier coordinator was - she showed us his desk. We asked him what upgrades were available and he had 10 balconies available! Always check it out! But after reading these threads, I'm realizing that it makes alot of difference what time of year you are sailing. Leslie

Yes, but when you say cheaper do you mean just a set amount like 200-300 dollars per room just to upgrade or do you still pay close to the difference per person. i'm really uneducated about this part. never tried it or asked about it and i've been on a few cruises.

I have been very successful getting pier upgrades. I get these because:

1) I usually travel during slow seasons

2) I get to the ship early if I want an upgrade

On a 7 day Mariner cruise going from a balcony to a suite is $400.00. Total. It is NOT a per person charge. The last cruise we were on we got two Grand Ocean Suites for a total of $800.00 -- both upgraded from a balcony... this is substanial savings on what these would have cost.

If there had only been Junior suites available it would have cost the same $400.00 per cabin. On the other hand we could have been REALLY lucky and gotten an Owner's suite for $400.00 if any had been available.

The downside is that you never can be sure if you will be able to get these upgrades. Even checking the night before doesn't give you an assurance of availability... things seem to change overnight. So you should reserve what you are happy with and think of these pier upgrades as an extra treat.... if it happens.

Listed below are prices from RCCL. There are substantial savings over originall bookings, but be prepared, often upgrades are not available. We tried to upgrade to a suite on the Radiance last fall, but none were available. After you've checked in, ask to be directed to the Pier Coordinator. Good luck.

The following is a guide for a 7 day cruise:

Inside to Royal Suite (RS) $1,500

Inside to Suite $1,000

Inside to Balcony $600

Inside to Outside $300

Inside to Inside $100

Outside to RS $1,200

Outside to Suite $700

Outside to Balcony $300

Outside to Outside $100

Balcony to RS $1,000

Balcony to Suite $400

Balcony to Balcony $100

Suite to RS $800

Suite to Suite $400.

• 3 months later...
We are in a Superior balcony. Can you tell me if the upgrade to a JS is worth the $400? Are there any extra's that you get with the suite?

You'll get a bigger cabin, a bathtub, and TWO cruise credits if you take a JS over a balcony. Only you can decide if that's worth an extra $400.

Hmm....I was thinking of upgrading through our TA, but the pier thing seems to be the better way to go cost wise. The TA figures it will be about $800 more for the two of us.

We have had a suite before, on the Dawn Princess, and really enjoyed the extra space and bathroom amenities (Jacuzzi Tub:D ).

I'm sure we will be happy with the balcony we have, but the suite idea is tempting, and we will ask at the pier.

Thanks for the info, Kamloops!

ps - Any forest fires in your area yet? Hopefully, you will have clearer sky's this year.

No fires yet - but it is still early. Not much of a snow pack this winter, and already the hills are very dry.

If you decide you might want to upgrade at the pier - arrive early, early, early. Check the RCI website in the final days to see if there are still any suites available that interest you. If none are available, no point in getting to the pier really early. We tried to upgrade to a suite for our Radiance cruise to Hawaii. Website showed about 5 suites available, but upon arrival (yes, we were first in line), all had been taken. One suite is usually held for bingo giveaway, so it will always show not sold, and often Diamond members or weddings get the others. Good prices though if one is available. While a suite is nice (especially when we travel with DD), D1 is ideal for the two of us. Location of our cabin is just as important to me as the cabin, so if I was on the hump or aft, I wouldn't be too quick to move.

Have a great cruise.

Archived