flooding at red hook parking lot

deck chair

it appears with the advance of hurricane Irene that the parking lot at the Red Hook pier may be entirely flooded impacting, perhaps destroying the many cars parked there by cruisers...I am currently on the QM2 scheduled to retun to NY on 9/5....My car is parked at the Red Hook parking lot. Any suggestions?

DC

Look up tow truck numbers while you have internet service on board? Call AAA? Keep your fingers crossed?

Sorry, I don't know what can actually be done short of asking someone to pick up the car with a spare set of keys and drive it somewhere else.

I've tried to look this up and could only find that parking at Redhook was closed for the incoming Princess ship due to anticipated flooding. No mention of what, if anything, is being done with the cars already parked there. Even if somebody local had a set of keys, they would not be able to get there with the entire transit system shut down.

it appears with the advance of hurricane Irene that the parking lot at the Red Hook pier may be entirely flooded impacting, perhaps destroying the many cars parked there by cruisers...I am currently on the QM2 scheduled to retun to NY on 9/5....My car is parked at the Red Hook parking lot. Any suggestions?

DC

Yikes Deck Chair! Yes, that parking lot is in Zone A (mandatory evacuation zone). Perhaps your car has already been towed to higher ground? Did you ask the Pursar? There is a 24/7 security guard at the Red Hook parking lot, but communications in that area are currently difficult due to weather conditions. Check your parking certificate and insurance policy for coverage. :eek:

On the bright side, at least you aren't in the car.

Best wishes,

Salacia

Flooding was anticipated in lower Manhattan and apprently Brooklyn but based on network news reports hasn't happened yet. If it hasn't happened by about now it likely won't as the tide is beginning to move out.

Purely conjecture on my part based on what I see on TV :)

HI One and all

Thank you so very much for your comments...I do have relatives calling the parking lot....as of yesterday the lot staff was reporting that they expected a surge but no idea what the damage may be...will have to check back after the storm passes....the parking lot rep did report that there were no plans to move the cars to safer grounds....when we sailed on MOnday 8/22, there appeared to be about 50 cars in the lot....

ON a lighter note, the weather on this crossing has been marvelous overall...thanks again.

Deck Chair

HI

Thanks for the comments, as always...

At least on this crossing, tv in cabins carry FOX NEWS and MSNBC....so getting news from New YOrk just not what is happening in Red Hook....I wonder if there was flooding if the terminal will have to close for repairs etc. Looking forward to returning on QM2 tomorrow.....

DEC KCHAIR

If those photos are the highest tide and the water isn't moving much, you should be OK. The worst is if it got much higher and came into your car, but even worse is if that water got higher and it moving at a good clip, because it will shove all the cars together: scratch and dent city... probably minor stuff, but not inexpensive to repair.

From these Sunday morning photos, it looks relatively still and relatively shallow. Probably not a big deal. The storm didn't get as violent as expected, which might be mild reassurance. Hype blew stronger than the wind.

Comments posted previously do not mirror actual effects of the storm in RedHook as new travels slowly in hurricane conditions. See thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1470470&page=2

or Google "brooklyn cruise terminal" or search images "redhook" last day.

After being without power for a few days, and having a flooded basement, I count myself lucky (wonderful neighbors). Best wishes to those who remain in harms way as rivers overflow and trees continue to fall. -S.

]

HI One and all

Thank you so very much for your comments...I do have relatives calling the parking lot....as of yesterday the lot staff was reporting that they expected a surge but no idea what the damage may be...will have to check back after the storm passes....the parking lot rep did report that there were no plans to move the cars to safer grounds....when we sailed on MOnday 8/22, there appeared to be about 50 cars in the lot....

ON a lighter note, the weather on this crossing has been marvelous overall...thanks again.

Deck Chair

Hi Deck Chair. Glad to hear your weather has been good. As others have noted, perhaps the safest place to be in a hurricane is at sea on an ocean liner :)

The main threat where I live was downed trees, something of no concern on an ocean voyage. Here, downed trees did fall over power lines, houses and cars. Power was knocked out in my immediate area, and flooding resulted in closed roads.

Commuter trains to Manhattan were knocked out. No complaints - we had it easy compared to other areas where lives were lost and the hurricane left destruction in its' path.

Anyway, please update us as to what happened to your car and the conditions you find in the RedHook Terminal when you disembark. Wishing you continued good luck and a happy voyage -S.

Serious flooding :confused:

We would call that a puddle :rolleyes:

To the OP - hope your damage was nothing more than wet tyres ;)

You certainly must have serious problems in Scotland. I have just got my power back. Many towns are flooded here in the Northeast with many people totally cut off, there is no power, food is running low, gasoline is running low and many people must go miles to get water. Damage is now estimated at 7 billion dollars. And we have another hurricane coming and who knows where it may end up. Perhaps it will miss us and make a sharp right turn, heading straight for the people who are more used to such adversity.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

First, I sure wish I was back on the QM2!!!!

AFter I got off the ship, the parking lot was fine. The lot staff told me the water only reached about 4 inches so no damage done...of course it could have been much worse. Thanks for all the responses.

Deck Chair

Archived