A Poll on Carnival's Food Quality........

nycruise

How Is The Food Quality?  

534 members have voted

1. 1. How Is The Food Quality?

• The Food Is Better Than Ever
    • The Food Has Been Seriously Downgraded
    • The Food Is About The Same

Would like to hear from anyone who has taken a Carnival Cruise in the past year or two, what you think of the food quality when compared to your earlier Carnival Cruises.

We thought the food quality was seriously lacking (particularly the Lido) on our recent Magic cruise as compared to our 2008 cruise on the Freedom and 2009 cruise on the Dream.

Thanks for responding to the Poll. Hopefully Carnival will get the message that the majority of passengers realized the food is a major problem.

I want to keep this poll on the first page for a couple of days so I'll be topping it if necessary.

Feel free to post your food experience on the thread in addition to the poll.

Thanks.

If you think its any better on the other lines well maybe you should cruise them...No else posted in this thread as you can see....Our friends came off the Oasis and thought the food was OK for the price they paid...We sailed NCL and had no choice then to Spend the Extra money on the Premium Restaurants the MDR food was awful and the Service was awful as well, I dont like being treated like a 2nd hand citizen as the crew just really could have cared less...Our Destiny Cruise the Food was Excellent and so was the Service and that was Last December...so good luck because all the lines are cutting back....

If you think its any better on the other lines well maybe you should cruise them...No else posted in this thread as you can see....Our friends came off the Oasis and thought the food was OK for the price they paid...We sailed NCL and had no choice then to Spend the Extra money on the Premium Restaurants the MDR food was awful and the Service was awful as well, I dont like being treated like a 2nd hand citizen as the crew just really could have cared less...Our Destiny Cruise the Food was Excellent and so was the Service and that was Last December...so good luck because all the lines are cutting back....

Try Princess, Celebrity or HAL and let me know if there is a difference! I agree the food on RCCL was never up to Carnival in the past, can't comment currently. As for NCL, from my experience their food is now better than what Carnival has to offer, that didn't use to be the case.

As for NCL, from my experience their food is now better than what Carnival has to offer, that didn't use to be the case.

I agree!

Our first NCL cruise left me disappointed in the mdr...then each cruise after that, there seemed to be surprising improvement.

I did not vote on this poll...I don't like the options. Although I see a difference in the food, I wouldn't call it a serious downgrade...definitely a downgrade, I am just not sure it's 'serious'.

"Hopefully Carnival will get the message that the majority of passengers realized the food is a major problem."

I do not think that this poll will prove anything to Carnival. Less than 1% of passangers post here (my opinion).

Personally I like the food just fine. The new menu is a good change. I don't have to cook or clean up afterwards.

I was on the Miracle last month, found the food to be great. I will admit I only ate in the buffet twice for lunch and zero for dinner, and only ate the Asian wok when I did eat there, but I have never been a fan of Carnivals buffet. Celebrity has an awesome breakfast buffet and Carnival doesn't come close and I don't expect them to, it's a totally different line.

That being said, I prefer to cruise Carnival because a) the rates are much better b) they don't make you dress up like a trained monkey to eat dinner every night and c) they allow people to smoke on their balconies (my husband smokes but I don't therefore he smokes on the balcony, and he is NOT a chain smoker and does not sit there all day and night and puff to annoy the neighbors)

I am perfectly fine with either getting a sandwich from room service or going to MDR for lunch. We ate breakfast every sea day in MDR and really enjoyed it, the food was hot and you didn't feel part of a cattle call.

We did YTD but requested the same server because when you find a good one you STAY with them. I loved the new menu because you get some form of shrimp/seafood every night and it's not always just a shrimp cocktail. My prime rib was really good and I'm from Nebraska, with our cornfed beef I'm hard to please with beef.

The pasta with the seafood sauce was awesome, the didya menu was kinda fun we ordered it nightly and split it with the table. We didn't order meatloaf or chicken because frankly I can make it at home more to our liking. But there were excellent choices every night, and it was different, since we were kind of bored with the menu being the same every cruise we liked the change.

I'll never like the buffet but I think the MDR food was really good. It's never going to be perfect, they cook for thousands of people a day. But it was perfectly passable to us.

We also enjoyed the Supper Club (now called steak house) and the Chefs table was excellent.

Cheers, Carole

Try Princess, Celebrity or HAL and let me know if there is a difference! I agree the food on RCCL was never up to Carnival in the past, can't comment currently. As for NCL, from my experience their food is now better than what Carnival has to offer, that didn't use to be the case.

Food is one of those Subjective things....You either like it or you don't....From what Iv'e Read there are quiet a number of people on NCL that do not like food even today so to speak....so Everyone has an opinion of Something......If we all liked the same things then life wouldn't be all that fun now would it?

Have been cruising on CCL for the past 11 years. Have not found the food to be much different between 11 years ago and now. Some options gone and been replaced with others, but I'm still happy with the overall quality.

RCI's food just stinks. HAL's is about on par with CCL. NCL too, except the for fee places are awesome and worth the $. Went on X once and found them to be very very good foodwise. Went on Princess once back in the day with parents and loved it, but I was a teenager and growing like an inch a month so would have been happy with a Denny's menu at that point.

Thanks for responding to the Poll. Hopefully Carnival will get the message that the majority of passengers realized the food is a major problem.

I want to keep this poll on the first page for a couple of days so I'll be topping it if necessary.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you're experiences are, or how often you cruise. I get the sense from alot of people, that any issue they might have isn't the food quality, but that it might be a little different than it was before. Just seems like everytime there's a change people act like it's a calamity. I was among those complaining about the lack of shrimp cocktail evernight, but after a B2B, druing 14 nights it certainly never ruined a meal. I can't remember an occasion where we left not happy with out meal.

Remarking on changes is one thing, but until people start canceling their bookings because of the menu, and I assure you that would be a miniscule number, if any, don't expect CCL to change anything.

I said that I thought the food had gone down hill based on my last cruise. Yes the fruit creme soups were fantastic, yes the lobster tail and shrimp were great(i still think they take those lobsters away from their mommies too early) but three of us at our table returned the Chateau Briand(sp) back to the kitchen, the meat had turned. Yes there are cut backs on what they can spend on food, but the choices were less healthy.....and then I saw that the majority of cruisers were already supersized, so they are feeding the majority of over weight Americans, who probably wouldn't contemplate dieting on a cruise to begin with. :D

We have sailed Carnival 9 times over the years, and feel the quality of the food is about the same. The selections have been limited and the healthy items have been cut dramatically, but the overall quality is on par with year's past. My problem was with the overall service in the dinning room. I made the mistake of not mentioning the problems we were having to the Maitre D. Maybe that would have helped - not sure. We will certainly cruise on Carnival again. We enjoy the food, but that is not why we cruise.:)

Thanks.

Seems like it's split almost exactly down the middle, at least for the time being.

Hmmm.

Quality. You can cut that two different ways. I thought the quality, as in how it was prepared, was fine. Sometimes good.

BUT, the "quality" of what was served was definitely less in both portion and "prestige" of food from the last time I sailed Carnival (not bringing other lines into it). The prime rib cut, for example, was pretty laughable... but it was tasty.

Thanks.

I don't think your poll is turning out how you thought it would ;). Food is very subjective. 2 people could be sitting at the same table eating the same meal and have 2 very different opinions on it, based on their own likes/dislikes. I don't like steak...DH doesn't like seafood. Our own preferences skew our opinions of what we are eating and how it tastes to us. I personally have found the food that I like to eat has not gone down or up in quality since I started cruising. But that's just my opinion based on the foods I like to eat:D.

Even though I have posted in the past about the food in the MDR, I too think its subjective. I have read posts from members who sailed on the Ecstasy who thought the food bad, I found it wonderful! I was on the Triumph and though the food no so great or just so so and other on the same sailing, thought it fantastic. I dont remember the food on the Fantasy, but the food on the Liberty was ok...nothing really stands out for me, there. I didnt vote in the poll since I have only been on 5 cruises and twice was on the same ship, so I really dont think that I can be objective enough yet, however I do think that the food quality varies from ship to ship.

I haven't noticed any downgrade and I like the food just fine. The dining room food is much better than the lido buffet but I rarely have trouble finding anything good to eat. Only negative I have about buffet food is I wish they had a great menu to offer on the lido during elegant night because sometimes we don't feel like getting dressed up to eat in the MDR yet want good food.

I'm not sure what you're experiences are, or how often you cruise. I get the sense from alot of people, that any issue they might have isn't the food quality, but that it might be a little different than it was before. Just seems like everytime there's a change people act like it's a calamity. I was among those complaining about the lack of shrimp cocktail evernight, but after a B2B, druing 14 nights it certainly never ruined a meal. I can't remember an occasion where we left not happy with out meal.

Remarking on changes is one thing, but until people start canceling their bookings because of the menu, and I assure you that would be a miniscule number, if any, don't expect CCL to change anything.

After 11 years you don't think the quality has gone down??

Remember when they had a ny strip steak then switched to. The shoulder muscle and. Alled it a flat iron steak??

Food is subjective and perhaps people do like the flat iron steak

But you really can't say that that cut was not a downgrade in the quality of beef

I understand the cuts if you want to keep the prices low you need to do that

It's ccl call and I understand that it's certainly acceptable to ccl target customer

But I really do not think one can say its not a quality downgrade

Archived