2012 will be the last year Jewel is in Europe

Loyal2RCCL

Just off the Freedom and learned 2012 will be the last year the Jewel will be doing European (Baltic) cruises. In 2013 she will be home ported in Tampa YEAR ROUND offering 5/5/4 night itineraries like she does in the winter. Several crew members have already requested transfers to the Jewel.

Just off the Freedom and learned 2012 will be the last year the Jewel will be doing European (Baltic) cruises. In 2013 she will be home ported in Tampa YEAR ROUND offering 5/5/4 night itineraries like she does in the winter. Several crew members have already requested transfers to the Jewel.

If this is true it's one of the greatest things Royal Caribbean has done in years :)

Tampa has a history with JOTS. For a long time(back around 05) JOTS sailed out of tampa doing 8 and 6 day, we did the 8day in 05

Having a history with a port doesn't sway their decision.

For example. 4/5 day cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale are more profitable during the summer than cruises out of Tampa. They won't put the ship in Tampa just because it has a history with the port 6-7 years ago, they will put it in FLL because that is where it will make more money for them.

I have no idea which port they are more profitable at, I was just using an example.

If it's true, wouldn't Port Everglades or Miami make more sense?

I agree. It is more likely that they will have the Jewel do 4/5 day cruises out of FLL during the summer and then the Liberty will pick up on the 4/5 day cruises for the winter. Then they can repo the Jewel to Tampa to do 4/5 day cruises in the winter.

But who knows anything can happen.

I will believe it when I see it. Also, with the tides being higher in the summer months, the ship may not be able to clear all the time.

The Radiance and Jewel only have history of being in Tampa for the winter months.

I will believe it when I see it. Also, with the tides being higher in the summer months, the ship may not be able to clear all the time.

The Radiance and Jewel only have history of being in Tampa for the winter months.

I don't see why the Jewel wouldn't be able to fit under the bridge during the summer. The Legend and the Jewel are around the same size and the Legend has no problem sailing under the bridge during the summer.

Tampa has a history with JOTS. For a long time(back around 05) JOTS sailed out of tampa doing 8 and 6 day, we did the 8day in 05

I am going to take this back, I checked our cruises, and the JOTS we did was out of FLL(05). Splendour was what we sailed out of Tampa in 04. :p

Any guess to what her replacement will be?

We did the Baltics on Jewel in 09 ,the Baltic cruises are popular and at a premium price due to the limited season.

More fuel for the rumour that a Sunshine class is going to be based here due to the all weather covered pools although I haven't checked when that is due out. I am sure someone can tell me?;):)

Speaking of which, I hate they RCI has no 4/5 days in the summer in S.FL anymore :(

Agreed. We would easily be able to squeeze in a 4 night if it left on Thrusday like they used to in the summer. The Monday-Friday 4 nights almost aren't worth it since you waste a whole week of vacation for 3 real vacation days.

Having a history with a port doesn't sway their decision.

For example. 4/5 day cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale are more profitable during the summer than cruises out of Tampa. They won't put the ship in Tampa just because it has a history with the port 6-7 years ago, they will put it in FLL because that is where it will make more money for them.

I have no idea which port they are more profitable at, I was just using an example.

Just curious, why would a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale be more profitable than a cruise out of Tampa?

I wish they'd bring back the 10 day itineraries (Partial Panama Canal) as well. I was booked on the Jewel for that one earlier this year but had to cancel, and now my only option for a similar itinerary would be to sail on another line (Princess?) I think the Jewel would have been my preference though :(

I wish they'd bring back the 10 day itineraries (Partial Panama Canal) as well. I was booked on the Jewel for that one earlier this year but had to cancel, and now my only option for a similar itinerary would be to sail on another line (Princess?) I think the Jewel would have been my preference though :(

We were on the Jewel 10 night in January this year as well as the 11 night Jan '10. The partial Panama Canal cruises had stopped by then. Reason for the change was an extremely high fee to do it.

Just curious, why would a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale be more profitable than a cruise out of Tampa?

I don't know which cruise port is more profitable or not. I was just trying to make the point that they would cruise out of the port that would make them the most money. A ship having the history with a port would not influence their decision at all.

Archived