A/C Problems on Allure and Oasis

SUZCRUZ

I have just learned about a sensor on the balcony door. If the handle on the balcony door is not in the lock position, the a/c goes off.

Whats that all about? How can you possibly lock the door while you are outside?

Truly a warm cabin is a deal breaker, but wanting to sail on one of these ships.

How common is this problem??:confused:

it turns off if the door is not closed, not if it's locked or not

Correct. It is part of the ships system for environmental control. The theory is that it helps to keep from wasting energy and to also keep the temperatures from going from one extreme to the other (hot to cold and vice versa).

I have just learned about a sensor on the balcony door. If the handle on the balcony door is not in the lock position, the a/c goes off.

Truly a warm cabin is a deal breaker, but wanting to sail on one of these ships.

This is not a problem with the ship. This is a normal function of the environmental controls for the ship. If you want your cabin to stay cool or cold keep the door closed.

As already stated, the door has to remain closed, not locked. I've been on both the Oasis and Allure and my A/C was just fine each time.....and I like to spend a lot of time on my balcony. However, there is also a master switch near the main door that turns it off. Be careful not to do so.

To those who replied, have you been on Allure/Oasis? They are not like the other ships in the fleet. The balcony door has to be LOCKED, not merely closed, otherwise the air conditioning shuts off. Read Trainman's live post in which he details the issue.

We had an A/C problem on Allure which required multiple service calls. Each time, they checked that the door was LOCKED...they tried to make it our issue for not locking the door, and it got to the point where we didn't even use the balcony. It was very uncomfortable, and it has us reconsidering sailing on Oasis in May. Like the OP, a warm cabin is also a dealbreaker.

I suppose we didn't kick up a big enough fuss, because we weren't offered any compensation for our A/C issues on Allure.

To those who replied, have you been on Allure/Oasis? They are not like the other ships in the fleet. The balcony door has to be LOCKED, not merely closed, otherwise the air conditioning shuts off. Read Trainman's live post in which he details the issue.

We had an A/C problem on Allure which required multiple service calls. Each time, they checked that the door was LOCKED...they tried to make it our issue for not locking the door, and it got to the point where we didn't even use the balcony. It was very uncomfortable, and it has us reconsidering sailing on Oasis in May. Like the OP, a warm cabin is also a dealbreaker.

I suppose we didn't kick up a big enough fuss, because we weren't offered any compensation for our A/C issues on Allure.

never had any problem on my Oasis cruise

We've been on both the Allure and the Oasis and we didn't experience any problems with the AC.

According to my DW the AC stayed on when I was on the balcony when I closed the door behind me.

I suspect it's a part that fails from overuse. The sensor is being impacted several times a day over and over again and probably needs to be replaced often.

I've read about this happening to Trainman and many others and suspect it's mechanical.

Fortunately we didn't experience it at all.

Been on both ships combined over a half dozen times....I never remember the balcony door having to be locked....the AC will switch back on shortly after the balcony door is closed...it's not instant...there is a delay of a minute or so....maybe that is where the confusion is. Also on my most recent sailing on Oasis a few weeks ago I found out that master AC controls for the cabin are all computerized and limits are controlled by the master technician. I have been on these ships enough to know that the cabins with the air turned down lowest should be like a meat locker...however over NYE I found my cabin to be warmer than usual....I called maintenance and we went thru the same with making sure that the balcony door was locked and all....then they went as far as telling me exactly what the current temp in my cabin was....and this was all over the phone. I told them it didn't seem correct...they made a note and said they will pass it on and see if they can adjust it. Next day no change...called again and right away again they said we are looking at the current temp in your room and it is *** (I forget exactly what they said it was) and that is what is supposed to be.....my kids had a cabin just a few doors away and there cabin was ice cold...so I asked them to tell me what their temp was....whatever the # was they told me....it was warmer than our cabin.....I told them that absolutely can't be as I was just in their cabin and it's ice cold and I am in mine sweating.....they told be they will make an adjustment right from the master controls to make our cabin colder. We went out a couple hours and when we came back several hours later....WALA.....nice and cold in the cabin:) So I guess the point of this long post is that the systems are all computerized and they have access to make adjustments from the master system...they don't even have to come to the cabin....and also...it shows that sensors sometimes don't read correct;)

I fear I may just add to the confusion, but here goes anyway:

We have been on Oasis/Allure for four weeks total. Two of those weeks were in an ocean-facing balcony, one was a Central Park balcony, and the other a Boardwalk balcony. The door to the ocean-facing balcony absolutely had to be locked. Marlee and I tested it twice to confirm this. With the door unlocked and closed, the A/C turned itself to a very reduced power level and the cabin warmed up quickly.

The A/C in the Boardwalk cabin appeared to turn off with the door unlocked, but we did not run a structured test to confirm this.

However, the state of the lock made no difference in the Central Park cabin. The A/C functioned at normal levels with the door closed but unlocked. Frankly, I was wondering if their system was broken (not complaining though, since the cabin stayed nice and cool for a change:rolleyes:).

Bottom line is that it seems to work differently in different parts of the ship. Our personal bottom line is that we will book the same Central Park cabin on future Allure cruises once our existing bookings run out. (We already have it reserved for two of our four future Allure sailings.)

This "feature" of Oasis-class is the thing we dislike the most about these otherwise wonderful ships. But we dislike it a lot. It may eventually steer us back to Freedom-class or to another line, as having a cool cabin AND having the use of our balcony is important to both of us.

Rich

Been on both ships combined over a half dozen times....I never remember the balcony door having to be locked....the AC will switch back on shortly after the balcony door is closed...it's not instant...there is a delay of a minute or so....maybe that is where the confusion is. Also on my most recent sailing on Oasis a few weeks ago I found out that master AC controls for the cabin are all computerized and limits are controlled by the master technician. I have been on these ships enough to know that the cabins with the air turned down lowest should be like a meat locker...however over NYE I found my cabin to be warmer than usual....I called maintenance and we went thru the same with making sure that the balcony door was locked and all....then they went as far as telling me exactly what the current temp in my cabin was....and this was all over the phone. I told them it didn't seem correct...they made a note and said they will pass it on and see if they can adjust it. Next day no change...called again and right away again they said we are looking at the current temp in your room and it is *** (I forget exactly what they said it was) and that is what is supposed to be.....my kids had a cabin just a few doors away and there cabin was ice cold...so I asked them to tell me what their temp was....whatever the # was they told me....it was warmer than our cabin.....I told them that absolutely can't be as I was just in their cabin and it's ice cold and I am in mine sweating.....they told be they will make an adjustment right from the master controls to make our cabin colder. We went out a couple hours and when we came back several hours later....WALA.....nice and cold in the cabin:) So I guess the point of this long post is that the systems are all computerized and they have access to make adjustments from the master system...they don't even have to come to the cabin....and also...it shows that sensors sometimes don't read correct;)

This makes sense to me. I've noticed that in the last year or so, I cannot get cabins as cold as I like. It used to be that if I turned down the room temp control as low as possible, it would get uncomfortably cold. Now it just gets cool. This is on multiple ships. Same thing happened on Allure last year, and I was surprised that a brand new ship would have problems getting the cabin cool enough.

Happened to have a conversation with one of the engineering officers on Allure. I asked if it was true on Allure that the ship used more fuel for A/C than propulsion. He said yes. I asked if there was some sort of corporate dictate that cabin temps be limited as to how low they were allowed to go, as a cost cutting measure. He just smiled, but didn't answer.

I've heard that some folks have to have the door locked and some seem not to.

I've also heard that the cabin design is like Legos, all the cabins are built that way, and I noticed a lot of groaning and movement in the cabins as they are all attached. I wonder if some of the doors are " tourqued" slightly out of alignment due to that normal movement on the ocean and then the cabins sensors won't work unless the door is locked because the door won't close quite tight enough. In other cabins, the sensors are still " close enough" when the door is just closed and the AC will work.

Just a thought!

Clarea- that is an interesting conversation you had, and I have no doubt there is some effort to control those costs! Btw, we are an Oasis cruiser who did not have an AC problem and it seemed to work if door was closed.

I've also heard that the cabin design is like Legos, all the cabins are built that way, and I noticed a lot of groaning and movement in the cabins as they are all attached. I wonder if some of the doors are " tourqued" slightly out of alignment due to that normal movement on the ocean and then the cabins sensors won't work unless the door is locked because the door won't close quite tight enough. In other cabins, the sensors are still " close enough" when the door is just closed and the AC will work.

Just a thought!

Clarea- that is an interesting conversation you had, and I have no doubt there is some effort to control those costs! Btw, we are an Oasis cruiser who did not have an AC problem and it seemed to work if door was closed.

We also noticed the creaking and groaning in the staterooms and hallways on Allure. Thought it was strange to have so much creaking on a ship less than a year old.

Your theory about the doors being out of alignment makes sense to me too. It could be that the technicians can disable the lock sensor on a room by room basis. Maybe after so many complaints about cooling problems in a particular stateroom, they give up and disable that lock sensor. This could account for the different accounts on this thread about whether the door needs to be locked for the A/C to function.

Bob

Just a thought!

I think that is exactly it....it's kind of the same thing at home with an alarm system...I believe it's all how the door sensor were aligned when installed.

i fear i may just add to the confusion, but here goes anyway:

We have been on oasis/allure for four weeks total. Two of those weeks were in an ocean-facing balcony, one was a central park balcony, and the other a boardwalk balcony. The door to the ocean-facing balcony absolutely had to be locked. Marlee and i tested it twice to confirm this. With the door unlocked and closed, the a/c turned itself to a very reduced power level and the cabin warmed up quickly.

The a/c in the boardwalk cabin appeared to turn off with the door unlocked, but we did not run a structured test to confirm this.

However, the state of the lock made no difference in the central park cabin. The a/c functioned at normal levels with the door closed but unlocked. Frankly, i was wondering if their system was broken (not complaining though, since the cabin stayed nice and cool for a change:rolleyes:).

Bottom line is that it seems to work differently in different parts of the ship. Our personal bottom line is that we will book the same central park cabin on future allure cruises once our existing bookings run out. (we already have it reserved for two of our four future allure sailings.)

this "feature" of oasis-class is the thing we dislike the most about these otherwise wonderful ships. But we dislike it a lot. It may eventually steer us back to freedom-class or to another line, as having a cool cabin and having the use of our balcony is important to both of us.

Rich

ok, now i wonder if those without any problems had an oceanview vs cp or boardwalk view.

we must have an oceanview.

any comments on this folks?

I'm guessing this is a non issue on interior rooms

That is correct as interior rooms do not have balconies.:rolleyes:

Interior rooms are not to be confused with Central Park or Boardwalk Balcony rooms, although the rooms are to the inside of the ship they are not interior rooms.

Archived