Dawn Has Rough Seas Today

Dolphins

From her web-cam, it appears the Dawn is encountering rough seas returning to New York today (Saturday). It will be interesting to see if her recent pod repairs get her to port on time Sunday morning.

The Weather Channel at 11AM Saturday reported high winds and rough surf from Florida north to Virginia Beach with 20 foot seas and 40 knot winds off Cape Hatteras. They even commented that cruise ships leaving Florida today would encounter rough seas.

I had booked the Spirit out of NY this time next year (April, 2006) (Spirit is replacing the Dawn on this run).

Looking at the webcam over the past month convinced me to instead fly to Florida and cruise from there! We pay too much money for a balcony not to be able to use it for the run back and forth.

OTOH, I'm really looking forward to the Dawn on that run in late July, when hopefully it will be nice, warm and calm!

Live from the Dawn.

To be breif, we had a rough, rough, night and morning. There has been some damage and we are stopping in Charleston SC this afternoon. We will not arrive until Monday!!

Sorry April 17th cruisers for breaking the bad news, you might want to get on the phone!

I had booked the Spirit out of NY this time next year (April, 2006) (Spirit is replacing the Dawn on this run).

Looking at the webcam over the past month convinced me to instead fly to Florida and cruise from there! We pay too much money for a balcony not to be able to use it for the run back and forth.

OTOH, I'm really looking forward to the Dawn on that run in late July, when hopefully it will be nice, warm and calm!

Flying to Florida is no guarantee of smooth sailing. The ships leaving Florida today encountered the same rough weather. We returned on the Dawn in February with calm seas that the Captain commented were the smoothest he has seen off Cape Hatteras is winter. So you never know. Weather can also delay your flight. We have done three winter cruises on Dawn with only one rough day and look forward to sailing her again next January as I would much rather board a ship than a plane in a snowstorm.

Live from the Dawn.

To be breif, we had a rough, rough, night and morning. There has been some damage and we are stopping in Charleston SC this afternoon. We will not arrive until Monday!!

Sorry April 17th cruisers for breaking the bad news, you might want to get on the phone!

From NCL Web site,flooding in 62 cabins :( :( http://www.ncl.com/news/Update_041605.htm

Yes, I just got word from NCL, our cruise WILL be delayed a day, it is being repaired in Charleston. What a bummer for all the people coming and going who have flights to catch. We just have to drive in, that will be our only problem now, Monday morning NYC rush hour, how do we get in? We won't have our friend to drive us, do we drive, take a car service????? We have a day to regroup.

Trust me, life could be worse........

Suesan

Oh, I feel so badly for those passengers! How awful, and prpbably at least somewhat scary for some of them! And you peeps who were leaving on Sunday ...I'm so sorry, that really sucks.

And Dawn! You are hurt!

Rats, all around.:(

I wonder which section of the Dawn took the hit/got flooded.

Yes, I just got word from NCL, our cruise WILL be delayed a day, it is being repaired in Charleston. What a bummer for all the people coming and going who have flights to catch. We just have to drive in, that will be our only problem now, Monday morning NYC rush hour, how do we get in? We won't have our friend to drive us, do we drive, take a car service????? We have a day to regroup.

Trust me, life could be worse........

Suesan

Suesan

It is just not your week

Suesan,

So sorry to hear about your trip. You have a great attitude!!!! I am sure this will not mess up your vacation. Whatever happens, HAVE FUN You are just going to have to squeeze 7 days of fun into 6 days. I bet you can do it.

Enjoy,

Jeanne

Yeh, what a week....... As long as no one was seriously injured or killed, it is ALL OK.... Cuts and bruises will heal, sea sick tummies WILL feel better, windows can be relaced, rooms cleaned out, furniture and bedding can be replaced, people can catch new flights........ It is the IRREPLACABLE that truly matters, everything else is just inconvience and problem solving, no big deal, NOTHING to get your knickers-in-a-twist......

BUT, we all KNOW, that there will be MANY, MANY, MANY Hysterical, Irate, VERY MAD People getting on and off that ship come Monday. I truly feel sorry for ALL the NCL people, they are probably getting earfulls already........ Screaming how "HORRIBLE" this is!!! These people have no clue to what "horrible" is......

I am looking on the "bright side", one more day for me to great ready and pull it together..... Things can be so much wore then a cruise delayed a day.....

Suesan

Jeannep, a delayed cruise ship is the least of my problems... As long as everyone is OK, the ship can be fixed, super. Life is not always easy, life does not always follow the plans that have been made, life is messy sometimes.... Things happen...... Things could have been so much worse for the ship and its passengers.....

I do hope to have a nice time and I hope our travels are calm and problem free, and if they are not, I have Dramamine, Bonnine, Ginger and Patches!!!

Suesan

I am on Board the Dawn now. People sleeping in the Atrium and open bars. It is more like a bad day at camp. the sea was 25 to 42 ft waves that hit high on the boat. The winds were awesome. My DH was thrown on the floor from the bed. Does not appear to have any serious injuries on board but some very shook up folks. Ceiling squares with lighting fixtures falling on the floor. Flooded cabins and closed Venitian restaurant. Great crew..lots of help..seasick pills everywhere. We hope to b e in NYC by Monday morning. Eileen

For Suesan Jean...

That is great advice that you are giving everyone...good for you. Glad to hear you are going prepared...just make sure you don't take the dramamine, bonine, ginger and patches all at once...we don't want you sound asleep all during your cruise!

Debjo

We are scheduled on the 4/17 now 4/l8 sailing. I'm prepared with patches, bonine, dramamine ginger pills and ginger candy. I guess we will lose a day of the trip since I'm sure that the Dawn will need to be back for its next sailing on the 24th. During my phone call from NCL they told me that we would be getting a shipboard credit of $100 per person and that the ship will be in New York hopefully by noon on Monday. I'm just sad that we will be losing a day on our vacation but it's still better than no vacation.

Voyager '02, Navigator '03, Voyager '04

Voyager July, 2005

Archived