Port of Galveston wants Carnival to help them increase parking revenue

DaytonCruiser

It would be one thing if it was an option, like airport transfers. But to make it mandatory would anger people who aren't parking at the port. The smart thing would be to offer a slight discount to people who purchase parking at the time they book their cruise.

It would be one thing if it was an option, like airport transfers. But to make it mandatory would anger people who aren't parking at the port. The smart thing would be to offer a slight discount to people who purchase parking at the time they book their cruise.

It wouldnt be mandatory. They just want people to have it as an option, since many people drive to the port with intentions of parking there, but see they can park much cheaper at the outside lots.

If they can get people booked and paid before the cruise, they eliminate that last min change of mind.

Until I read the article...didnt realize that Carnival had such an attractive financial stake in parking at Galveston. I would bet, you will see parking as an option in the near future when booking cruises out of Galveston

This is pretty shrewd on Carnival's part

When Carnival agreed to homeport Magic and Triumph on the island — the cruise ships last year began sailing from the island, marking the largest-ever capacity commitment by a cruise line to Texas — it also negotiated to receive a 25 percent cut of Port of Galveston parking revenues from passengers sailing on its ships. That 25 percent slice kicks in after the port collects $2.5 million. The operating year between Carnival and the port is from Sept. 28, 2011, to Sept. 27 this year. The $2.5 million threshold was reached in June.

cha-ching

Law of business - Increase fees/decrease users. Look at any place that depends on a user fee and see what happens when the company increases fees. That is one of the reason there are very few ships out of Norfolk, Va. They got greedy and the cruise lines left. Princess left Galveston for awhile and is now coming back but for how long with these fees. Terminals wills tart trying to make money and will lose in the long run. Why do private lots stay full. Fees lower than the terminal lots.

I prepaid $65 for park&Cruise for a covered secure spot for 7 days. I can walk across the street. The Galveston port wants $65 prepaid for an uncovered space in a huge lot. If i end up at the far end thats a walk and a half I don't know if they have little shuttles picking you up from your car like airports, but quite frankly their lot doesn't seem like a great deal. For uncovered parking they should be about $5 cheaper.

If they want to compete with the small business owner, then they need to compete.

I prepaid $65 for park&Cruise for a covered secure spot for 7 days. I can walk across the street. The Galveston port wants $65 prepaid for an uncovered space in a huge lot. If i end up at the far end thats a walk and a half I don't know if they have little shuttles picking you up from your car like airports, but quite frankly their lot doesn't seem like a great deal. For uncovered parking they should be about $5 cheaper.

If they want to compete with the small business owner, then they need to compete.

Unlike you, so many cruise passengers, dont do research on parking,transfers, excursions etc. They just with the flow. So if the cruiselines makes it easy for them to book something, they jump on it.

Many pick convenience over a little researching.

At least Galveston, isnt doing what Port Canaveral is proposing...eliminated the issue of new parking permits and jacking up the rates for buses to enter the lots.

At least Galveston, isnt doing what Port Canaveral is proposing...eliminated the issue of new parking permits and jacking up the rates for buses to enter the lots.

They already do in Galveston... Read the article:

"The port charges hotel shuttle buses $10 a trip. For private lots, the port assesses a shuttle access fee of $8 a month per parking space. Large coach buses are assessed a $50 fee for picking up passengers"

We parked in the port the first time we cruised from Galveston back in 2002 on the Jubilee. We found the service to be poor, the employees surly and the cost higher than the private lots. First only cash was acceptable for payment, then we were not allowed to walk back from our car nor were we allowed to walk to our car when we returned. We were required to wait in a very long line for their shuttle service. The driver was quite rude and obnoxious.

The private lots are polite and friendly. They will assist with baggage transfer if need be but it isn't demanded that you use their service. The private lots offer other services like car wash and wax etc. and they do all this for less money.

Who needs the port lot? Who needs to be gouged and abused when other options are available? Only the unwitting will buy their parking in Galveston through the cruise line.

They already do in Galveston... Read the article:

"The port charges hotel shuttle buses $10 a trip. For private lots, the port assesses a shuttle access fee of $8 a month per parking space. Large coach buses are assessed a $50 fee for picking up passengers"

They arent jacking up those rates...all ports charge rates for shuttles and buses to come inside the port. They would be foolish not to...

Port Canaveral is increasing those rates on existing businesses and eliminating any new lots from opening by restricting new permits.

Archived