Insurance for Air Miles Flight

Karysa

As a rule, flights purchased using frequent flier miles have a $0 cost. Therefore, there is no reimbursement for this.

What can happen, depending on the coverage you purchase, is that you might be covered for whatever the airline fee would be to rebank the miles.

If you miss any flight for whatever reason, the insurance company plays no role in securing flight arrangements to the next place you need to go. Insurance is only going to reimburse you up to max allowable if covered.

As a rule, flights purchased using frequent flier miles have a $0 cost. Therefore, there is no reimbursement for this.

What can happen, depending on the coverage you purchase, is that you might be covered for whatever the airline fee would be to rebank the miles.

If you miss any flight for whatever reason, the insurance company plays no role in securing flight arrangements to the next place you need to go. Insurance is only going to reimburse you up to max allowable if covered.

I am talking about insurance that is purchased solely to protect your air miles obtained flight. We bought it this morning and I am interested in hearing from those that have had to place a claim.

I am talking about insurance that is purchased solely to protect your air miles obtained flight. We bought it this morning and I am interested in hearing from those that have had to place a claim.

I've never heard of such insurance. Could you please share who the provider is?

I've never heard of such insurance. Could you please share who the provider is?

The air mile plan is Aeroplan an Air Canada plan. The insurance is Blue Cross. It cost us $29 per ticket for Toronto-Miami. It is said to cover the fees like you mentioned if you need to cancel but if our flights get cancelled they will fly us on any airline to get us to our destination. They will fly us in economy class but there is no price ceiling. Since we are the last scheduled flight out the night before our March Break cruise we thought that it would be worth the cost.

Can you post a link to the terms of your Blue Cross policy? When you insured at a cost of $29, what amount of coverage did you get, and how did you determine that?

It was purchased over the phone. I was asked by Aeroplan if I would like to hear about air miles insurance. I handed DH the phone as that is not my thing. He was then connected to Blue Cross. They asked some basic medical questions. We do not have the paperwork with all the details.

Has anyone else even purchased such insurance?

We booked a flight using Airmiles (not Aeroplan) in 2003. We took out insurance for these miles from Airmiles. We had to cancel the trip because of illness in the family. We put in our claim and got the Airmiles back plus the extra costs for the flight (fuel fees, taxes) that Airmiles don't cover. We had paid for these with our credit card with which we have a general travel/insurance policy. It all went very smoothly.

We are taking an Airmiles flight next year and will probably be taking out the insurance. However it is very expensive.

Is this the one perhaps?

https://www1.aeroplan.com/your_aeroplan/manage_your_rewards/buy_travel_insurance.do

I have no personal experience with travel insurance claims with any company....I hope I am lucky enough to continue so say that for many years.

Maybe that is the good new here, no voiced complaints.

Thanks for the link. I had seen that but I did not find the specific information that we were told. The rep clearly explained what to do if our flight was cancelled even at the last minute. I did not find that information on the website. I will give them a few days and then inquire further.

My TA has always warned me about taking the last flight of the day especially when the next day is a busy travel day. The Sunday of March break would be considered a heavily traveled day and finding and purchasing 4 tickets at the last moment would be difficult and expensive. This was a big reason as to why we purchased the points insurance and if this is not covered then I will file a complaint. I will give Blue Cross a few days to send us the policy and paperwork and proceed from there.

Now I'm not familiar with Air Canada nor the consumer protection laws of Canada.

However, I would think that under the scenerio that you are proposing, it would be Air Canada's policy to use your frequent flier status to get you to your final destination as quickly as they could. To the extent of putting you on a partner airline if space was available. However, I would also assume that they would also use a priority system among ALL passengers on your cancelled flight to determine who gets seats. Your frequent flier staus will help determine that outcome.

After reading thru the above policy, I don't see anywhere where they (the insurance company) would take the responsibility to get you to your final destination in any class of service.

Now I'm not familiar with Air Canada nor the consumer protection laws of Canada.

However, I would think that under the scenerio that you are proposing, it would be Air Canada's policy to use your frequent flier status to get you to your final destination as quickly as they could. To the extent of putting you on a partner airline if space was available. However, I would also assume that they would also use a priority system among ALL passengers on your cancelled flight to determine who gets seats. Your frequent flier staus will help determine that outcome.

After reading thru the above policy, I don't see anywhere where they (the insurance company) would take the responsibility to get you to your final destination in any class of service.

From what the Aeroplan agent told me after I booked the flight tickets the insurance is totally different from Aeroplan or Air Canada. It is just a company that they deal with.

We have purchased many family air flights through Aeroplan and I do not ever remember being offered points protection in the past. Usually however, I book online myself. This time I changed the ticket because the airline changed our flight times after we had the tickets booked for months. The new times that opened up and cost a little more points were better so we felt that it was worth the $90 per ticket difference.

I agree I have yet to see that they will fly us to our destination in writing so I will wait a few days and proceed from there.

My DH spoke to and booked the insurance. I just had a couple of questions after hearing their conversation. So DH handed me the phone. I was clearly told that the insurance would cover getting us on another flight to get us to our destination ASAP on any airline in economy with no price limit per ticket.

We booked a flight using Airmiles (not Aeroplan) in 2003. We took out insurance for these miles from Airmiles. We had to cancel the trip because of illness in the family. We put in our claim and got the Airmiles back plus the extra costs for the flight (fuel fees, taxes) that Airmiles don't cover. We had paid for these with our credit card with which we have a general travel/insurance policy. It all went very smoothly.

We are taking an Airmiles flight next year and will probably be taking out the insurance. However it is very expensive.

Thanks for the reply. Purchasing the insurance worked out in your case. I don't doubt that if we have a similar circumstance that things will work for us as well. It is the "get you on a flight to your destination ASAP" part that has me most concerned about. We only paid $29 per person for the insurance so covering only the points would be worth that price. As stated before, getting us on a flight so that we make it for our ship is the most valuable part of the policy to us.

I checked my e- mails and decided to check the trash folder and I found that Blue Cross had indeed sent us our policy. We called for some clarification and we were told that on page 27 - 28 (the link was posted above by another cc member) the section on trip interruption ( which our policy states UNLIMITED) is where getting us on another flight if ours is cancelled comes in to play.

From what the Aeroplan agent told me after I booked the flight tickets the insurance is totally different from Aeroplan or Air Canada. It is just a company that they deal with.

We have purchased many family air flights through Aeroplan and I do not ever remember being offered points protection in the past. Usually however, I book online myself. This time I changed the ticket because the airline changed our flight times after we had the tickets booked for months. The new times that opened up and cost a little more points were better so we felt that it was worth the $90 per ticket difference.

I agree I have yet to see that they will fly us to our destination in writing so I will wait a few days and proceed from there.

My DH spoke to and booked the insurance. I just had a couple of questions after hearing their conversation. So DH handed me the phone. I was clearly told that the insurance would cover getting us on another flight to get us to our destination ASAP on any airline in economy with no price limit per ticket.

IF you read through the Blue Cross Aeroplan policy available online (IF this is what you were sold), there is a TRAVEL INTERRUPTION/DELAY provision. BUT they REIMBURSE for a new ticket. You pick and pay for a NEW FLIGHT, then file for reimbursement. Same as any other travel policy.

I don't know EXACTLY what you were sold but I sure wouldn't depend on an insurance company, ANY insurance company, to book a flight at the last minute to get you to your cruise on time.

Just too many hoops to jump through and too many people to deal with to even have this be a reality. Kind of like calling the air/sea dept at the cruise line for a missed flight. They will tell you to go deal with the airline. THEN, when you get no relief from the airline, the cruise line MAY be able to help. I can certainly envision the same situation with an insurance company.

I would have a list of back up flights YOU can PURCHASE at the last minute on a walk up basis if something happens to your original flight.

I was clearly told that the insurance would cover getting us on another flight to get us to our destination ASAP on any airline in economy with no price limit per ticket.

As stated before, getting us on a flight so that we make it for our ship is the most valuable part of the policy to us.

There are two issues that seem to be blended together here.

1) Will this insurance cover (in the sense of financial reimbursement) the cost of replacement air in the case of significant flight delay or cancellation of our award tickets IF Air Canada does not (without additional cost) find alternative flights for us?

Per your reports of conversations with the insurance agent, the answer appears to be yes.

2) If all goes pear shaped, (original flight cancelled, AC cannot/will not arrange for you to get to the cruise on time), does the insurance company act as a travel agent to BOOK you on alternative flights to get you to the port of embarkation or at worst, the first port of call?

This one is problematic. Insurance companies insure against financial loss, they do not function as travel agents. They have no magic. If Toronto is socked with a March snowstorm and all flights are cancelled for days, there is nothing the insurance company can do for you other than reimburse you financially for your loss.

Even with a routine flight cancellation (mechanical issue, crew issue, etc.), do you plan to call an insurance office to get booked on the next available flight? While you are on hold for an insurance agent, all the other passengers are calling airlines to grab whatever seats are available.

All you should ever expect from an insurance policy is financial reimbursement.

IF you read through the Blue Cross Aeroplan policy available online (IF this is what you were sold), there is a TRAVEL INTERRUPTION/DELAY provision. BUT they REIMBURSE for a new ticket. You pick and pay for a NEW FLIGHT, then file for reimbursement. Same as any other travel policy.

I don't know EXACTLY what you were sold but I sure wouldn't depend on an insurance company, ANY insurance company, to book a flight at the last minute to get you to your cruise on time.

Just too many hoops to jump through and too many people to deal with to even have this be a reality. Kind of like calling the air/sea dept at the cruise line for a missed flight. They will tell you to go deal with the airline. THEN, when you get no relief from the airline, the cruise line MAY be able to help. I can certainly envision the same situation with an insurance company.

I would have a list of back up flights YOU can PURCHASE at the last minute on a walk up basis if something happens to your original flight.

Good advice. I will make a list of back up flights closer to the travel date. Thanks.

There are two issues that seem to be blended together here.

1) Will this insurance cover (in the sense of financial reimbursement) the cost of replacement air in the case of significant flight delay or cancellation of our award tickets IF Air Canada does not (without additional cost) find alternative flights for us?

Per your reports of conversations with the insurance agent, the answer appears to be yes.

2) If all goes pear shaped, (original flight cancelled, AC cannot/will not arrange for you to get to the cruise on time), does the insurance company act as a travel agent to BOOK you on alternative flights to get you to the port of embarkation or at worst, the first port of call?

This one is problematic. Insurance companies insure against financial loss, they do not function as travel agents. They have no magic. If Toronto is socked with a March snowstorm and all flights are cancelled for days, there is nothing the insurance company can do for you other than reimburse you financially for your loss.

Even with a routine flight cancellation (mechanical issue, crew issue, etc.), do you plan to call an insurance office to get booked on the next available flight? While you are on hold for an insurance agent, all the other passengers are calling airlines to grab whatever seats are available.

All you should ever expect from an insurance policy is financial reimbursement.

Thanks for you input. I actually asked about the snow storm scenario. Again, we do have until 3pm the next day to make it to our ship so there is a possibility to take a flight or even flights out on Sunday morning and still make it. We are not travelling with 2 hours to spare. We booked reasonable flights from Toronto direct to Miami and return the same way at 4 pm the day of disembarkation. So if our fight is cancelled due to a snow storm I was told that by calling the emergency number on our policy that Blue Cross would then give us the ok to take another flight provided that there were economy seats available.

It is hardly a guarantee that we will 100% make our ship but for $29 a ticket to cover a cancellation by us and help if our flight is cancelled we thought that it was worth the cost.

Good advice. I will make a list of back up flights closer to the travel date. Thanks.

Now that I think about it they did tell me that we would have to call and get the ok prior to being allowed to take a flight by another airline. DH and I thought that since cost comes in to play and we have an unlimited amount of coverage, that they would find and book us the flights. I guess I need to get clarification on that now.

So if our fight is cancelled due to a snow storm I was told that by calling the emergency number on our policy that Blue Cross would then give us the ok to take another flight provided that there were economy seats available.

There's your answer. You call, the insurance company says you can book another flight. YOU PAY, then get reimbursed. They are NOT going to pay for first class if that is all that is available. The policy restriction is economy only on any airline at any amount. BUT you will pay out of your pocket first.

As Shorex posted, while you are calling the insurance company and waiting for an answer, other people are booking the flights you need to get to your cruise.

IF something happens to your flight, DO NOT just wait in line. Have airline phone numbers programmed into your phone.

Call Air Canada first. Have your list of alternative flights (and PLEASE do NOT restrict your list to nonstop or EASY one stop Toronto/MIA flights). Look WAY, WAY, WAY outside the box like flying into Montreal, then maybe Atlanta, then on to Miami (I don't fly Air Canada so have no idea about routings but out of the box alternative routings should be easy enough to come up with).

EVERYONE on a cancelled flight is going after those non stop/one stop alternative flights. IF you can offer to the agent-"please book me on XXX to YYY, then ZZZ to BBB, then UUU to MIA", even though it may take you ALL day to get there, the object is to get to the cruise. You would be very surprised how out of the box routings usually get you what you want. Agents don't want to even offer those because of all the whining that goes on. So they say there are no flights available.

If Air Canada can't help, then call whatever airline has a flight that will get you to your cruise. THAT flight you can book over the phone and PAY for. This is the flight your insurance will reimburse you for.

Good luck!!!

There's your answer. You call, the insurance company says you can book another flight. YOU PAY, then get reimbursed. They are NOT going to pay for first class if that is all that is available. The policy restriction is economy only on any airline at any amount. BUT you will pay out of your pocket first.

As Shorex posted, while you are calling the insurance company and waiting for an answer, other people are booking the flights you need to get to your cruise.

IF something happens to your flight, DO NOT just wait in line. Have airline phone numbers programmed into your phone.

Call Air Canada first. Have your list of alternative flights (and PLEASE do NOT restrict your list to nonstop or EASY one stop Toronto/MIA flights). Look WAY, WAY, WAY outside the box like flying into Montreal, then maybe Atlanta, then on to Miami (I don't fly Air Canada so have no idea about routings but out of the box alternative routings should be easy enough to come up with).

EVERYONE on a cancelled flight is going after those non stop/one stop alternative flights. IF you can offer to the agent-"please book me on XXX to YYY, then ZZZ to BBB, then UUU to MIA", even though it may take you ALL day to get there, the object is to get to the cruise. You would be very surprised how out of the box routings usually get you what you want. Agents don't want to even offer those because of all the whining that goes on. So they say there are no flights available.

If Air Canada can't help, then call whatever airline has a flight that will get you to your cruise. THAT flight you can book over the phone and PAY for. This is the flight your insurance will reimburse you for.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for the reply. You raised some interesting points.

Since this is a busy travel time and we need to get to the POM before 3pm the next day would you even bother to call the insurance company for a wide spread cancellation? For our one fight and even an Air Canada strike it would be worth it I think but in a snowstorm situation perhaps we would be better to just save valuable time and book a flight and pay for it on our own. What would any of you guys do in that circumstance?

Thanks for the reply. You raised some interesting points.

Since this is a busy travel time and we need to get to the POM before 3pm the next day would you even bother to call the insurance company for a wide spread cancellation? For our one fight and even an Air Canada strike it would be worth it I think but in a snowstorm situation perhaps we would be better to just save valuable time and book a flight and pay for it on our own. What would any of you guys do in that circumstance?

Don't each of you have a cell phone??? One of you should be on the phone to Air Canada with your alternate flights IMMEDIATELY. The other can call the insurance company IN CASE Air Canada can't get you to the cruise and you have to PURCHASE a ticket which the insurance company will have to reimburse.

Don't each of you have a cell phone??? One of you should be on the phone to Air Canada with your alternate flights IMMEDIATELY. The other can call the insurance company IN CASE Air Canada can't get you to the cruise and you have to PURCHASE a ticket which the insurance company will have to reimburse.

That would be what we will do if only our flight is cancelled or Air Canada's flights due to labor issues bur if there is a snowstorm and flights all or most flights were cancelled all day and we find out at 8 pm that ours is cancelled as well would you still handle it the same way?

Archived