Best Hike in Skagway?

absmiff

Hi -

I'm looking into what to do when my husband and I are in Skagway. We'll be docked from 7-4:30 at the beginning of June. We're thinking about doing an independent hike here.

I found this self-guided walking tour on the boards:http://skagway.com/skagwaywalkingtour.pdf

and it does suggest a few hikes to do as well, but I would like suggestions for what we should actually pick. Has anyone tried any of these and found them to be either excellent or not worth the time?

What hike (or hikes) should my husband and I pick for the day? We should have no limitations due to endurance or ability, only time limitations. We're open to all suggestions, there is nothing we HAVE to see...just want to do whatever seems like the best option.

Also, would love any other low budget ideas for what to do in Skagway.

Thanks!

Hi -

I'm looking into what to do when my husband and I are in Skagway. We'll be docked from 7-4:30 at the beginning of June. We're thinking about doing an independent hike here.

I found this self-guided walking tour on the boards:http://skagway.com/skagwaywalkingtour.pdf

and it does suggest a few hikes to do as well, but I would like suggestions for what we should actually pick. Has anyone tried any of these and found them to be either excellent or not worth the time?

What hike (or hikes) should my husband and I pick for the day? We should have no limitations due to endurance or ability, only time limitations. We're open to all suggestions, there is nothing we HAVE to see...just want to do whatever seems like the best option.

Also, would love any other low budget ideas for what to do in Skagway.

Thanks!

There is a trail that leaves from the downtown area that goes to Lower Dewey Lake and a few other places if you want to keep hiking. Costs you nothing. Below is the link to the various hiking trails around Skagway. We hiked the Laughton Glacier Trail and enjoyed it. Just a little more complicated to get to the start.

http://www.skagway.org/vertical/sites/%7B7820C4E3-63B9-4E67-95BA-7C70FBA51E8F%7D/uploads/%7B68C35A36-4A10-4DB7-8A56-633B821CAF53%7D.PDF

Tim

There is a trail that leaves from the downtown area that goes to Lower Dewey Lake and a few other places if you want to keep hiking. Costs you nothing. Below is the link to the various hiking trails around Skagway. We hiked the Laughton Glacier Trail and enjoyed it. Just a little more complicated to get to the start.

http://www.skagway.org/vertical/sites/%7B7820C4E3-63B9-4E67-95BA-7C70FBA51E8F%7D/uploads/%7B68C35A36-4A10-4DB7-8A56-633B821CAF53%7D.PDF

Tim

Your recommendation of the Dewey Lakes trails, doesn't take into consideration their date. It is likely to snowbound with the trail not even open, Laughton is via a train stop?, probably the same there too, especially with all those boulders. (IF I am thinking about the right trail- my son did, several years ago???)

The town map above is simple and easy. They may want to expand and go all the way back to the cemetery, a few miles round trip.

An alternative I would suggest, with a nice mild day, rent mountain bikes and bike the Dyea Road all the way out, round trip about 20 miles. Endless scenery.

I set off on the start of the Lower Dewey Lake trail in May 2011, after a cold snowy winter, and the trail was open. On the other hand, I didn't get far because it was not an easy hike. Quite early on it was, while not exactly a "climb", definitely a "scramble". Hiking boots and a stick are thoroughly recommended. "Moderate" trails in Alaska, in my experience, can be classed as "difficult" elsewhere.

So we came back and did the easy Yakutak Point walk. Now that truly was easy, paved paths almost all the way. (We only had a couple of hours, we'd already done the railway excursion.)

I set off on the start of the Lower Dewey Lake trail in May 2011, after a cold snowy winter, and the trail was open. On the other hand, I didn't get far because it was not an easy hike. Quite early on it was, while not exactly a "climb", definitely a "scramble". Hiking boots and a stick are thoroughly recommended. "Moderate" trails in Alaska, in my experience, can be classed as "difficult" elsewhere.

So we came back and did the easy Yakutak Point walk. Now that truly was easy, paved paths almost all the way. (We only had a couple of hours, we'd already done the railway excursion.)

Are you sure you didn't start up the UPPER Dewey Lake Trail? The Lower Dewey Trail is definitely not a "scramble" needing hiking boots, but Upper Dewey could easily be described that way. I agree that Yakutania Point is excellent.

From Skagway, it is indeed an up hill climb from the begining of the trailhead, across the tracks between 3rd and 4th.

Although it is reported the trail as "open" in May, this poster did not get "far" enough to see if there was snow cover around the lake- which has been the case most years.

We did the upper Dewy Lake trail in September, it was very muddy and wet. I can only imagine how muddy it would be in spring. If you can make it... it's very peaceful and lovely. 3000' in three miles and about 3/4 of a mile of it was flat so the rest was a climb. DW and I have done 14er's in Colorado and she said it was her toughest hike. I would recommend bringing polls and solid boots.

If I remember right there are other trails in the Dewy Lake system, I think these stay at lower elevations and should be doable in May. I think one goes to a waterfall and the other to a point that looks out over the water.

National Geographic makes a map of the Skagway area which I found at my local REI...

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=254&code=SR50004

We bought this and it was very helpful in planning our fun. After the hike, if you are a beer drinker, check out the Skagway brewing company, good food and beer.

It's easy to find the trail head... just head towards town and somewhere around the campground you will see the big sign on the left.

Have fun.... I can't wait till we get to go back.... AB Mtn across the bay also looks like it would be a great climb and great view.

• 4 months later...
I set off on the start of the Lower Dewey Lake trail in May 2011, after a cold snowy winter, and the trail was open. On the other hand, I didn't get far because it was not an easy hike. Quite early on it was, while not exactly a "climb", definitely a "scramble". Hiking boots and a stick are thoroughly recommended. quote]

Would Tennis Shoes suffice - We do not have hiking boots and I'm sure we'd just end up w/ blisters if we tried to break them in while walking... thoughts ?

The town map above is simple and easy. They may want to expand and go all the way back to the cemetery, a few miles round trip.

An alternative I would suggest, with a nice mild day, rent mountain bikes and bike the Dyea Road all the way out, round trip about 20 miles. Endless scenery.

Budget Queen - Not seeing the map referred to - also, regarding renting mountain bikes, where does one do this? Also, is it flat terrain ? I know my teens could handle... not so sure about their mom :/

I assume that you are familiar with these guides, http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/shorterdayhikes.htm

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/longerhikes.htm

correct?

The hike to Lower Dewey Lake is a pretty easy hike. I’d be surprised if it would be closed in June. Devil’s Punchbowl may be snowed in.

Our hike in Skagway comprised first of doing the same tour of downtown as you posted. After that we headed northeast through the non-touristy part of Skagway, walked across the Skagway River bridge and saw a glassblowing at Jewell Gardens ( http://www.jewellgardens.com/glassblowingtour.html ; the glassblowing was OK, but it is definitely touristy). Then we walked back, and to the Gold Rush Cemetery. We walked through the cemetery, and to the falls on Reid Creek. These falls are pretty spectacular.

The falls are in a canyon. From there we scaled the wall on the south side of the canyon. We did not have any climbing gear with us (we had climbing ropes back on the ship, but not with us on the hike), just our hiking boots. It was not too terribly difficult of a climb -- we had 10 to 13 year olds with us, but most of the early parts consisted of bouldering. In parts of the climb we came across paint markings, which we assumed meant that people do regularly climb here. We just kept going up until we hit the trail leading to the Reid Creek from Lower Dewey. The point where we hit that trail is only about 500 m from the falls, but we gained about 250 m. Took us about 60 to 90 minutes from the falls until we hit that trail. From there it is about 3 km to Lower Dewey, and from there another 1 km to the ship.

The map that we’ve used is a USGS’s 25K topo Skagway (B-1) NW (59135-d2-tm-025). I picked it up from USGS for a dollar. :)

....The town map above is simple and easy. They may want to expand and go all the way back to the cemetery, a few miles round trip. ...

I would not do that if OP is interested in a hike. There are so many hiking trails around Skagway, and the walk to cemetery and back is just a stroll through the town and back. OP can do better.

Are you sure you didn't start up the UPPER Dewey Lake Trail? The Lower Dewey Trail is definitely not a "scramble" needing hiking boots, but Upper Dewey could easily be described that way. I agree that Yakutania Point is excellent.

The trail to Lower Dewey is ATV-able. So no, it is not a scramble, though it is steep it parts.

You experience hikers will be ROFLOL.. but.. I'm not an experienced hiker by any means - just trying to provide a great experience for my teens (20,19,15). In Texas, we have snakes. What kind of wildlife should I expect to see... I guess I'm not going to encounter a Bear on the trail or rattlesnakes... trying to decide what my fear factor is here...

You experience hikers will be ROFLOL.. but.. I'm not an experienced hiker by any means - just trying to provide a great experience for my teens (20,19,15). ...

We have three kids too, now 15, 13, and 11 years old. We love to travel as a family.

The way that my wife and I handle each vacation is that I give our kids a rough outline where we are going, subdivide the area into three groups, and each kid comes up with a plan of what we should visit, see, and experience. They dig deep when they prepare, not only from strategic view, but also they need to know the history, culture, background, as well as logistics. Then they are a guide for us throughout that particular area/city/state/country.

Just like we teach them to cook, or remodel a house, or garden, or handle a firearm, we teach them to plan and enjoy vacations, teach them how to get around different countries where they do not speak the local language, teach them to think in different currencies, and appreciate cultures and values that are different from our own.

Our first time to Skagway (3 women in their 60's :o)), which hike would you most recommend after touring the town???

Lower Dewey, Yakutania Point , or Cemetery & Reid Falls (falls look beautiful, but looks like a pretty boring walk out to the cemetery)

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

I guess I'm not going to encounter a Bear on the trail or rattlesnakes... trying to decide what my fear factor is here...

When hiking In Alaska, never count out the possibility of seeing a bear. Or one joining up with you on the trail. Depending on where you are, they may be a black bear, or it may have a hump.

If you go to mendenhall in Juneau, you will see signs all over to not take ANY food on the trails there.

• 3 weeks later...

Did the Lower Dewey Lake Trail in late June. My wife and I also did the Icy Lake trail and continued up to Lower Reid Falls. Beautiful. The hike from downtown to Lower Dewey Lake is moderately strenuous. Not a scramble, but many steep switchbacks. Climbs about 500 feet in 3/4 of a mile. The trail to Icy Lake and Lower Dewey Falls is pretty easy, slightly uphill, although at Icy Lake it is easy to lose the trail. Just stay next to the lake and stream, follow it to the pipe and follow the pipe for a quarter mile to the falls. Once again, beautiful. There is a no trespassing sign along the pipe about 100 feet from the falls, ignore it and continue walking on the pipe to a catwalk at the top of the falls. A bit scary, but worth it. Don't worry about trespassing, there is none to stop you. You can also climb to the bottom of the falls, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are really strong and know how to climb. Overall great trail. If you have any questions let me know!

We did the Lower Dewey Lake trail in late May 2011. There may have been a a few small icy patches in shady spots, but that's it. I would say that moderate is an accurate classification for this trail. There was some uphill at the start and some places further in where there wasn't a clearly defined trail and there were some boulders to climb over. The lake was serene. We saw about 5 people on the trail with several ships in town...wonderful experience.

Archived