Canadian Cruisers - Yellow Fever Vaccine for Barbados - Required?

MrsLadyL

I am not from Canada, but was very confused about the Yellow Fever Shots as well. I have found out that if you have been to a place where the fever is, then you need proof of having the shots. Places like Africa and South America. You can E-Mail the cruise line and they will get back to you... C.G.

I am going to say no but maybe someone else will comment also. My dm worked and lived there for quite a few years through her company here and while my ds was little we would travel and stay for a month at a time and never needed that vaccine. The one thing we were more concerned with was dengue fever spread through mosquitos, in all our trips none of us ever got it but we would use spray everyday just to help.

Just wanting to ask my fellow Canadian cruisers if the Yellow Fever Vaccination applies to us when visiting Barbados?

Thanks!

The best is talk to your local travel clinic or travel part of your health unit.

The vaccine sometimes is only required if you go to certain parts of a country for an extend stay. Example , if you go to area in Panama near the Columbia border your required to have certain vaccinations. If your on a cruise ship going thru the canal they aren't required.

Short answer - no, not necessary when arriving via cruise ship.

Vaccination endorsements on your passport are requirements of the individual country upon entry. I'm not even sure this applies to Barbados, but in general when you cruise, the entire passenger manifest is cleared by the authorities of each port, not the individual passports.

(BTW we visited Barbados on the Victory last September; nothing was required of us).

Short answer - no,

not necessary when arriving via cruise ship. ===> Or by air (not from N.America and Europe,at least)

BTW we visited Barbados on the Victory last September; nothing was required of us.

I live on the island.

Yellow Fever certification is not required for travel in/out of Barbados.

Maybe if you're entering from a known Yellow Fever country

then I guess Immigration/Health may require it -but from clean countries? no problem.

When we were kids in the early '60s

I remember needing to travel with two small documents

* a passport

* a yellow, passport-sized booklet with various rubber stamps in it

to say you'd had the shot!

But that hasn't been the case now for at least 40 yrs!

I received an email from Carnival saying I did NOT need a vaccination for Barbados....here's part of the letter:

While some countries require all travelers get a yellow fever vaccination, South America and Barbados only require a vaccination if the traveler is from areas infected with yellow fever, areas where yellow fever transmission has occurred (endemic areas), and for travelers having transited more than 12 hours through the airport of a country with risk of yellow fever transmission. If this does not apply to you, a yellow fever vaccine is not necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

You know how you will be using your passport as proof that you haven't travelled to countries affected with Yellow Fever, what happens if we just got a new passport? Should we bring our old expired ones as proof too?

Archived