Princess Transfers-Anchorage-Whittier

Italy52

We are planning to do an independent pre-cruise stay in Anchorage and then utilize Princess transfers to Whittier. Has anyone done this before? If so, where would we go to meet Princess bus for transfer to Whittier? Also, what time does Princess bus start transporting people to Whittier? Thanks in advance for your help.

Various times throughout the day. The motorcoach can be boarded at Egan Civic & Convention Center if you are doing things on your own before the cruise.

Thanks for your response. Will Princess give us a list of times to be at Egan?

Italy52,

Another option you can consider is the Alaska Railroad. They have a train that leaves pretty early in the morning and will take you to Whittier, at about half the cost of a Princess transfer. The train leaves from the Railroad depot, which is close to downtown Anchorage, near where the Hilton is. If you're staying in Anchorage anyways, I'd suggest this method since it's cheaper and you get way more space on the train (along with being able to move around).

Italy52,

Another option you can consider is the Alaska Railroad. They have a train that leaves pretty early in the morning and will take you to Whittier, at about half the cost of a Princess transfer. The train leaves from the Railroad depot, which is close to downtown Anchorage, near where the Hilton is. If you're staying in Anchorage anyways, I'd suggest this method since it's cheaper and you get way more space on the train (along with being able to move around).

Funny you should mention the Hilton, we are thinking of using Hilton Honors Points and staying there pre-cruise. A few questions:

1. Is there a website I can use to find out information on this train?

2. Will the train take all our luggage (probably one large suitcase, one large garment bag, one small overnight bag-all on wheels)?

3. Once I get off train, how far to pier? Is there transport available to pier?

4. How early can we board the ship? Embarkation notation on cruise documents says from 12 noon--if we get there early, will we just stand around?

Thanks for your help.

Funny you should mention the Hilton, we are thinking of using Hilton Honors Points and staying there pre-cruise. A few questions:

1. Is there a website I can use to find out information on this train?

2. Will the train take all our luggage (probably one large suitcase, one large garment bag, one small overnight bag-all on wheels)?

3. Once I get off train, how far to pier? Is there transport available to pier?

4. How early can we board the ship? Embarkation notation on cruise documents says from 12 noon--if we get there early, will we just stand around?

Thanks for your help.

The Hilton is the closest hotel to the Railroad depot, but it's still a bit of a trek (downhill too). We stayed at the Clarion Suites because they offer a free shuttle from the airport and also to the railroad depot - which was perfect.

1. Just google "Alaska Railroad" and the first match (official site) will be it. I have no idea if we're allowed to post links or not. The URL is basically alaskarailroad anyways.

2. Yes, they will take your large luggage and automatically deliver it to the ship once you get to Whittier too. That's nice because you don't have to worry about picking it up - they bring it to your stateroom (make sure you put the Princess luggage tags on with the room number). You'll probably want to bring the smaller bags onboard (they have rails above you, sorta like overhead compartments on planes but they don't close). We had a garment bag and a small suitcase on wheels. The garment bag was easy to put above us, but we left the other bag in front of us (there is TONS of space on the train, so don't worry about being cramped - the seats are wide and rows are spaced far from each other).

3. The train stops right in front of the pier. You just walk the same distance someone would getting off of a motorcoach to get to the terminal. Princess' own trains use the same rails anyways, so you get the idea. You definitely don't need transportation.

4. The train is scheduled so it arrives in Whittier around noonish. We boarded right after we got there (as did most people who were on the train with us) with no problems. You end up being one of the first ones on the ship which is nice too (almost no wait).

The Hilton is the closest hotel to the Railroad depot, but it's still a bit of a trek (downhill too). We stayed at the Clarion Suites because they offer a free shuttle from the airport and also to the railroad depot - which was perfect.

1. Just google "Alaska Railroad" and the first match (official site) will be it. I have no idea if we're allowed to post links or not. The URL is basically alaskarailroad anyways.

2. Yes, they will take your large luggage and automatically deliver it to the ship once you get to Whittier too. That's nice because you don't have to worry about picking it up - they bring it to your stateroom (make sure you put the Princess luggage tags on with the room number). You'll probably want to bring the smaller bags onboard (they have rails above you, sorta like overhead compartments on planes but they don't close). We had a garment bag and a small suitcase on wheels. The garment bag was easy to put above us, but we left the other bag in front of us (there is TONS of space on the train, so don't worry about being cramped - the seats are wide and rows are spaced far from each other).

3. The train stops right in front of the pier. You just walk the same distance someone would getting off of a motorcoach to get to the terminal. Princess' own trains use the same rails anyways, so you get the idea. You definitely don't need transportation.

4. The train is scheduled so it arrives in Whittier around noonish. We boarded right after we got there (as did most people who were on the train with us) with no problems. You end up being one of the first ones on the ship which is nice too (almost no wait).

Thank you very much for the information. I will definitely look into the train option!

Just FYI - the Princess transfer BUS is less than the cost of the Alaska RR train. As far as I've heard, the Princess train is not available Anchorage - Whittier (only for those coming from Denali).

We did the bus transfer for $55 per person, left from the Marriott (a change from the Egan, no reason given, signs were posted at Egan). (We had stayed overnight at the Ramada on 3rd downtown, very nice for the money.)

The Princess transfer staff on site told us there was one bus at 1:30, then if enough people showed up, another at 2 pm. Any other buses wouldn't leave from downtown, but from the airport, with the last leaving the airport at 4:30.

Don't know what time they start checking people and luggage in - they were in place by 11:30 am. DO NOT BELIEVE anything the 800# staff tell you - they were a wealth of misinformation (didn't know about Egan, gave wrong times for start/end, said buses ran all day, said we couldn't check luggage and walk around downtown).

Just FYI - the Princess transfer BUS is less than the cost of the Alaska RR train. As far as I've heard, the Princess train is not available Anchorage - Whittier (only for those coming from Denali).

We did the bus transfer for $55 per person, left from the Marriott (a change from the Egan, no reason given, signs were posted at Egan). (We had stayed overnight at the Ramada on 3rd downtown, very nice for the money.)

The Princess transfer staff on site told us there was one bus at 1:30, then if enough people showed up, another at 2 pm. Any other buses wouldn't leave from downtown, but from the airport, with the last leaving the airport at 4:30.

Don't know what time they start checking people and luggage in - they were in place by 11:30 am. DO NOT BELIEVE anything the 800# staff tell you - they were a wealth of misinformation (didn't know about Egan, gave wrong times for start/end, said buses ran all day, said we couldn't check luggage and walk around downtown).

My inquiry is for our 5/22/06 cruise to Alaska. Our Princess transfers for bus transport from Anchorage to Whittier is $55 per person. When I checked the train prices, the train I believe was a couple of dollars cheaper. The comments you made above about the Princess transfer process is one of the main reasons I HATE using cruise line transfers. They are never organized and a lot of time is wasted just sitting. Thanks for your comments, they have been very helpful.

We are also going precruise to Anchorage and will be staying at the Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge. Where do you find out about the train from that area. We have a rent-a-car but maybe we can drop it off up there. Thanks for any help

A second vote for the Alaska Railroad option. Their website is akrr.com.

My parents just returned last week from their cruise and used the train to get from Anchorage to Whittier. Their experience mirrored Necrosis's. They had commented about how easy the whole process was. Their bags "magically appeared" in their stateroom after they checked it with the railroad in Anchorage.

Another big plus they mentioned was that they didn't arrive with a whole mob of people. Their traincar was mostly empty and they pretty much walked right on the ship. The Princess rail transferees were on the same train, but got off after my parents. Princess hooks its cars onto the Alaska Railroad engines.

Enjoy your trip!

We are also going precruise to Anchorage and will be staying at the Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge. Where do you find out about the train from that area. We have a rent-a-car but maybe we can drop it off up there. Thanks for any help

Here's the link to the Alaska railroad site http://www.akrr.com/ which will show your the routes, but you won't be dropping off a rental car at the Mt. McKinley or any of the Denali area hotels as none of the rental agencies have offices there.

Susan in Anchorage :)

On the Whittier web site http://www.ci.whittier.ak.us/ I found a bus service called The Magic bus. Web site Magicbus.com. The emailed me back this is what they said:

We think you should go to http://www.alaskatravel.com book with them directly

for

> $49 per seat.

>

> The way it works is you book the transfer and they confirm you and offer

to

> hold your luggage at the wonderful Anchorage Museum on 7th ave which also

> has a great lunch spot. Their staff holds luggage for free from 12 noon

to

> 3pm and a taxi from anywhere to the museum is $15 and most likely you

have

> a free courtesy shuttle at your hotel. When you get to the museum, you

> check in and they hold luggage, then, you can go inside the museum for

free

> and see it and have a nice lunch. We load up our vehicle for them at

> 2:45pm. Leave at 3pm and go into Whittier at 4:30pm a! nd drop you at your

> ship at 4:45pm.

>

> This is a good option. Book directly with them.

> http://www.alaskatravel.com

>

> (-: Tim

Or...we might be able to do a private van, 5 passengers only...just you guys from 11am pickup at your hotel with a drop at 3pm at the cruise ship with a few stops along the way such as the Portage Glacier area and the Animal Park at http://www.alaskawildlife.org We pay entrance.

http://www.alaskatravel.com is less expensive and a nice option...

Or... $450 total price for a private van with driver and we pay entrance fee, tunnel and service for 4 hours on the the way to Whittier.

Hope this maybe helpful to you. Also on that website there was a rent-a-car company that sometimes has specials that they need people to move their cars back to Whittier and to Anchorage and they just charge for the use of the car and no drop fee. It depends on which date you want to try to do it. The date we checked they had a small SUV for 90.00 p/day no drop fee. That is cheeper then the other options unless you really dont like to drive yourself.

My inquiry is for our 5/22/06 cruise to Alaska. Our Princess transfers for bus transport from Anchorage to Whittier is $55 per person. When I checked the train prices, the train I believe was a couple of dollars cheaper. The comments you made above about the Princess transfer process is one of the main reasons I HATE using cruise line transfers. They are never organized and a lot of time is wasted just sitting. Thanks for your comments, they have been very helpful.

Very weird - when I checked before our trip, it seemed like the train was like sixty-something $$ each - maybe I was looking at the wrong site!! Thanks for the correction.

I talked with a representative from the Alaska railroad today. I wanted to find out when their schedules and fees for next year would be published; this is the response: We should have 2006 info in about August of this year. Schedule will likely be the same as this year, and maybe a few dollars more. Luggage is the same regulations as airlines." Right now the fee for travel from Anchorage to Whittier is about $52 per person.

A second vote for the Alaska Railroad option. Their website is akrr.com.

My parents just returned last week from their cruise and used the train to get from Anchorage to Whittier. Their experience mirrored Necrosis's. They had commented about how easy the whole process was. Their bags "magically appeared" in their stateroom after they checked it with the railroad in Anchorage.

Another big plus they mentioned was that they didn't arrive with a whole mob of people. Their traincar was mostly empty and they pretty much walked right on the ship. The Princess rail transferees were on the same train, but got off after my parents. Princess hooks its cars onto the Alaska Railroad engines.

Enjoy your trip!

I am pretty sure we are going with the train option. Since we have to be out of the room in the morning anyway, I would much rather book the train and be on my way to the ship rather than killing time in Anchorage. DH and I enjoy getting on the ship early.

For clairfication, there is a cruise contracted train and the regular run of the Alaska RR, which is cheaper than the cruise contracted bus.

There is no train from that "area", unless you want to transfer to Talkeetna, via the Princess shuttle 50 miles. You will arrive in Anchorage 8pm. Princess will have their own contracted train however, always costing more, that will go directly to Whittier. You need to inquire directly for that option. If by "up" you mean the McKinley lodge- there are NO car rental drops off options for you and if you mean in Whittier, there is only Avis.

For clairfication, there is a cruise contracted train and the regular run of the Alaska RR, which is cheaper than the cruise contracted bus.

Thanks for the clarification. I actually had no idea the motorcoach transfer was that close in price. Regardless, I think if you're in Anchorage anyways you'll be more comfortable taking the train. There is so much room on board and you have the freedom to move around. Arriving to the ship earlier is also nice, so you can beat any kind of embarkation rush!

From what I experienced and what I've been reading, doesn't seem like Whittier gets an "embarkation rush" like other ports as everything is timed through the tunnel. The most amount of people at one time would probably come off the Princess train. We had 2 buses checking in at the same time and it took about 10 minutes total.

• 4 weeks later...

After looking up the akrr.com info and comparing it with Princess transfer, I am not too sure the train is a better option.

Price wise, the train is a whooping $3.00 cheaper per person than Princess transfer.

Schedule wise, there is only ONE train going to Whittier, departing at 10:00 am versus there are seemingly a handful of schedules of Princess transfer. Besides, Princess transfer leaves at around noon ? so one does not have to get up early to make the 10:00am train. It is a very long flight for most of us to ANC, our flight wont arrive till pass 8:30pm for example. I am sure many of us would prefer to sleep in a little bit. Hence the 1:30 departure of motorcoach really appeals me.

Furthermore, given the unique location of Whittier, everything is governed by the tunnel schedule and there is no train arrival after mid-day, and several motorcoach runnings in the afternoon - the arrival of passengers would be stretching out ...

My only question is, do I need to purchase the transfer when I book or can I do it on the spot the day I cruise ?

Princess Cruises has it's passengers stay at the Captain Cook Hotel in downtown Anchorage, and that's where we boarded our bus to Whittier. Other's, who came in to the airport on Saturday were picked up at the airport and taken directly to Whittier. Check with Princess and see what they suggest, there are a lot of options, all good.

Hi Italy52,

We just did the exact thing last week. We spent 3 days in Anchorage with a rental car and had purchased Princess transfers to Whittier. We returned the rental car to the airport-no choice here-and walked back into the baggage claim area with our luggage. Princess has a desk right there and they were waiting for us. I was skeptical of this arrangement because we had flown in days earlier but my travel agent assured me it would be okay. It couldn't have been easier. We got to the airport around 11:30 and were on the shuttle and moving by 12:15. The shuttle driver narrated along the way, we had a brief 5 minute wait at the tunnel, the lines for embarkation took maybe ten minutes and we were on the ship. Princess has many shuttles, we waited at the airport until they had enough people to fill it, and there were others behind us. I think our transfers said you had to arrive at the airport by 5:00pm. We could have gone to the convention center if not for the rental car return. The process is painless.

Sunnycal

Archived