Cinque Terre

Zoey1

We are going to be inCinque Terre for the day. Has anyone used Cinque Terrre private tours and shore e curious? Doesn't seem like there are as many private tour operators in this area? Any recommendations?

Wendy

I suspect that there are few tour operators because it would be hard for them to add enough value (vs. what you could do on your own) to justify the expense.

A car is really not much good here, you get around by either boat, train, or a combination of the two.

A good tour guide can spin a tale (or two, or three, etc.) to keep you entertained, but this is not the history and art laden Italy of Florence, Rome, Venice, or Naples, so a guide doesn't add as much value here as elsewhere.

You also get around by foot, hiking the trails between the villages. It's one of the big draws of the area.

CT isn't a big crowd-friendly area. It's a place where you go to relax, hike, sit on the harborside plaza and sip your favorite beverage.

It's going to be interesting to see how all these cruise ships now putting thousands ashore down the road from CT will effect the character of the area.

Unfortunately, the Via Dell'Amore (the Lovers Walk between Riomaggiore and Manarola) remains closed due to the rock slides from nearly 2 years ago. But the train and boat options are all operating and there are many hiking trails open.

We also share Slidergirl's curiosity about the increase of cruise ships going to La Spezia. A large influx of cruise passengers will certainly do nothing to enhance the charm of the region but it will sure be helpful to the local businesses that have had a rough 2 years.

Hank

Our ship stops at Cinque Terre in June 2014, and we have booked UMBERTO CATTANI of CINQUE TERRE PRIVATE TOURS AND SHORE EXCURSIONS for a 9-hr tour. My emails have been promptly responded to ... questions answered honestly and thoroughly ... our concerns taken under consideration when proposing an itinerary ... and our group of 8, whose age range is from 27 to 70, is totally pleased and looking forward to our visit. And the icing on the cake is ... the price is right! Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, the Via Dell'Amore (the Lovers Walk between Riomaggiore and Manarola) remains closed due to the rock slides from nearly 2 years ago. But the train and boat options are all operating and there are many hiking trails open.

We also share Slidergirl's curiosity about the increase of cruise ships going to La Spezia. A large influx of cruise passengers will certainly do nothing to enhance the charm of the region but it will sure be helpful to the local businesses that have had a rough 2 years.

Hank

It is a double-edged sword for CT. They absolutely need the money to rebuild/restore. But, I really don't want them to become another Amalfi Coast... But, the guys at La Pirata will be happy to make all the new tourists laugh and eat their pastries!!!!!

Our ship stops at Cinque Terre in June 2014, and we have booked UMBERTO CATTANI of CINQUE TERRE PRIVATE TOURS AND SHORE EXCURSIONS for a 9-hr tour. My emails have been promptly responded to ... questions answered honestly and thoroughly ... our concerns taken under consideration when proposing an itinerary ... and our group of 8, whose age range is from 27 to 70, is totally pleased and looking forward to our visit. And the icing on the cake is ... the price is right! Hope this helps.

Was the tours via boat mostly? I understand boat and train are the best way to see CT? I recently had major foot and ankle surgery and cannot do extensive walking? Happy to hear another recommendation for Umberto.

We asked Umberto to propose an itinerary that took into account a 27-year old marathon runner and his 70 & 71-year old Aunts who have moderate mobility issues. With that in mind, no hiking, and we travel between towns by train from La Spezia to Riomagiore to Vernazza to Monterrosso and then by ferry to Portovenere then back to La Spezia. Umberto will be with us the entire time from the ship and back. We will decide on how much rest-time/on-your-own time we need/want while on the excursion. Hope this helps. Have a great Labor Day weekend.

So here is a question to ponder. Do you really need to pay the expense of a guide to walk through a few tiny villages and hop on a convenient local train and or/small ferry boats? If so, then you have made a good investment in your day. But if one is capable of walking around some small villages, and getting on a train when you please, then not so sure a guide adds much to these villages. When you get to the first village (usually Riomaggiore for cruisers from Livorno or La Spezia) there is a visitor booth where you can get a small guide brochure and have any questions answered. And that visitor center does not charge a fee for their services :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

...and getting on a train when you please...

Hank...

How often does the train run between towns? Is it a "local" that would stop at each one? Is there a train schedule online?

Also, is there a ferry schedule with stops and times online?

Trying to sort out a day in CT with options.

Thanks

Just heard back from Umberto and he is booked for our date there, he is recommending a colleague, would you feel comfortable with this? Looking for opinions?

Thanks

Wendy

ZOEY1 ... sorry to hear that Umberto is not available to conduct your tour. I would consider his recommendation, though, as I believe he would only suggest someone who would maintain his high quality, standard, and efficient service. After all, he does have a reputation to protect. Best of luck.

The only reason I can see for hiring a guide for CT is if you are uncomfortable with looking at train and ferry schedules yourself. This is one location where the value-added of a guide is negligible.

For the group with the runner and elders: if the runner likes trail running, he could do the Vernazza-Monterosso al Mare trail and meet up with the group there! Then, relax on the beach for a little before everyone heads back to the ship.

Oh: I had a mistype in my earlier post: It is "Il Pirata" in Vernazza, not "La Pirata." The two brothers who run it do make fantastic Sicilian pastries. And, they WILL make you laugh!

ZOEY1 ... sorry to hear that Umberto is not available to conduct your tour. I would consider his recommendation, though, as I believe he would only suggest someone who would maintain his high quality, standard, and efficient service. After all, he does have a reputation to protect. Best of luck.

Okay my next question to ponder,...I contacted Umberto to book the tour with his associate and he asked for payment in full upfront via PayPal. All our other tour operaters have asked for either a CC to guarantee the reservation (not charging it though) or 50 Euro deposit. Did you pay him beforehand? I wasn't sure I am comfortable with this? Thoughts?

Hi. For our group of 8 visiting in June 2014, we have been requested to pay a 100 Euro deposit through Paypal to secure our booking. This deposit if fully refundable if we canc,el 1 week prior to excursion, 50% refundable if cancelled 3 days prior to booked tour, and non-refundable if cancelled 1 or 2 days before the tour. I understand where you're coming from. But Umberto appears to be sincere, honest, and reputable. At the time we had booked his services in mid-August, his TripAdvisor reviews were 209 Excellent, 35 Very Good, 3 Average, 2 Poor, and 0 Terrible. I usually go by instinct based on impressions arrived at through written communications (whether timely, friendly, informative, grasp of English). My instincts have been correct ... so far! Happy deciding!!!! And have a great weekend.

Hey Zoey1,

Sorry for the typographical errors in my earlier reply. The beginning of the refund sentence should actually have stated: This deposit is fully refundable if we cancel 1 week prior to excursion, 50% refundable if..... Maybe the reason for the full-payment deposit is because of the nearness of your tour or it may be a requirement of the substitute guide. You could just tell Umberto of your concerns and make a decision based on his response. Do whatever feels right to you!

• 1 month later...
The only reason I can see for hiring a guide for CT is if you are uncomfortable with looking at train and ferry schedules yourself. This is one location where the value-added of a guide is negligible.

I could not agree more. The trains and ferries are frequent. Enjoy a leisurely day enjoying the beauty, little shops and restaurants.

• 6 months later...

We will be on the Oceania and docked in Livorno on June 19. By any chance is that when you will be there as well. Is there a website for Umberto?

The CT Tourist office is located in the railway stations at La Spezia, Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso .

Call in there and get your current rail timetable. Remember you are in Italia and the train timetables change at the drop of a hat . Some trains stop at all 5 villages and others stop only at Riomaggiore then Monterosso . Trains are not evenly spaced , so be careful .

We spent four days there a few years ago. The train from La Spezia is about 40 minutes; there are trains between towns at the rate of about 1 or 2 / hour. You do not need a guide. The flattest town for walking is Monterosso, in the new area. Vernazza is not bad; Romaggiore and Manarola are quite steep, if you want to walk to the top of the towns for the view. Cornelia is crazy high, but your train ticket should include a shuttle bus ride from the train to the top of the town. You can also take boats from one town to another; don't miss the boatride to Portovenere. The path from Riomaggiore to the next town is along the water and wheelchair accessible. These towns are beautiful! We were there at the end of June and it was crazy crowded! I found all train schedules on the Trenitalia (sp?) website.