Connecting Cabins info

Spartan Tartan

What are the thoughts of selecting a cabin, are there noise or privacy issues if you choose one of these options. We are traveling alone and do not require a connecting cabin but the cabin we have chosen is a connecting cabin. Good location, price etc. If the room is not sound proof through the doors we may have to change quickly. Thoughts and experience from others greatly appreciated.

What are the thoughts of selecting a cabin, are there noise or privacy issues if you choose one of these options. We are traveling alone and do not require a connecting cabin but the cabin we have chosen is a connecting cabin. Good location, price etc. If the room is not sound proof through the doors we may have to change quickly. Thoughts and experience from others greatly appreciated.

Generally speaking, there is no difference vs. those that don't connect. Different classes of ships have different connecting cabin configurations, so your answer will depend by ship. For example, nearly all staterooms on S-Class ships are connecting through the following configuration where the two inner doors stay open and two outter doors are closed to create a private passage in front of the room.

2wprmtv.jpg

2s8ivq8.jpg

If you are looking at S class, check out the spreadsheet which may have specific information on specify cabins:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018

M class have hotel style connectors in the middle of the room wall.

S class (except the newest ship Reflection wish for some reason went back to the other style) have the hallway style doors shown in prior post.

Generally speaking, there is no difference vs. those that don't connect. Different classes of ships have different connecting cabin configurations, so your answer will depend by ship. For example, nearly all staterooms on S-Class ships are connecting through the following configuration where the two inner doors stay open and two outter doors are closed to create a private passage in front of the room.

2wprmtv.jpg

2s8ivq8.jpg

Hi great pix! Have iPad, in the past I was able to send link to myself as an email. Now with upgrade (bad) can not or do not know how to do-- does anyone out there know how to save this/ send to myself for reference? Thank you

Hi great pix! Have iPad, in the past I was able to send link to myself as an email. Now with upgrade (bad) can not or do not know how to do-- does anyone out there know how to save this/ send to myself for reference? Thank you

Press finger down on picture. Popup comes up. Select "Save Image"...it saves to your ipad photo album.

Just had a cabin on the Summit with a connecting door (in the wall). We heard our neighbors ONCE in 14 days. I heard her talking to someone who knocked on her door, so she was standing very close to the connecting door. Other than that, not a peep.

Last November, I had the same cabin, different deck... one night our neighbors had a cocktail party (before dinner drinks). They were really hooting it up! I knocked on the door... it opened... and I said, either keep it down or invite us in. They were GREAT people, always laughing in the halls when I saw them. They welcomed us in and tried to give us drinks. We brought our own. It turned into one of those "remember when" memories. After that we saw them all over the ship and enjoyed their company often.

So really... yes, you can sometimes hear your neighbors but not always. You'll hear people in the hallways, too.

Last November, I had the same cabin, different deck... one night our neighbors had a cocktail party (before dinner drinks). They were really hooting it up! I knocked on the door... it opened... and I said, either keep it down or invite us in. They were GREAT people, always laughing in the halls when I saw them. They welcomed us in and tried to give us drinks. We brought our own. It turned into one of those "remember when" memories. After that we saw them all over the ship and enjoyed their company often.
Reading this reminds me of the wise people in the penthouse suite who posted how they would always invite their neighbors in the connecting sky suite to their parties so they would not complain about the noise. :D

2wprmtv.jpg

2s8ivq8.jpg

Okay so I must be the only person on CC who does not understand how cabins connect in a hall. What does that look like?

We were on the Century, and you can hear a little bit of the television and whispers of conversation. The conversations were not enough that we could hear the content but just voices. It was no problem for us, but to answer you question there is nominal noise. One consideration is that our neighbors were a quiet couple so a more lively group could potentially be louder.

we just off the Summit and had a connecting cabin. You can see the light of the TV in the connecting cabin through the connecting door and hear it if they have the volume turned up loud. My husband had to ask them to turn the volume down so we could get some sleep. They were very nice about it.

Okay so I must be the only person on CC who does not understand how cabins connect in a hall. What does that look like?
It is the same way that many hotels use a small, common entrance hallway, or alcove, to provide access to connecting rooms.

The alcove has two sets of doors, inner doors to each room and outer doors to the public hallway.

That gives them the flexibility to sell the same rooms either as connecting rooms, or as private, non-connecting rooms without needing to put a door into the wall between them.

When sold as connecting rooms, the outer doors remain closed and locked, making the little alcove private.

You use your seapass card to open one of the outer doors, to gain entry to the common alcove. You can then go from room to room via the private alcove without needing to step out into the public hallway.

The inner doors may be left either open or closed as you wish.

The concept is much the same as the way you go from one bedroom to another at home via a private hallway without needing to step out of your house. The door to each bedroom may be left open or closed.

The previous photo from playadelwes of a view looking into two connecting rooms shows how they appear from the entry alcove when they are sold as connecting rooms with both inner doors open.

2s8ivq8.jpg

But when sold as private, non-connecting rooms, the outer doors are propped open for the duration of the cruise, while the inner doors to each cabin remain closed and locked.

So the view from the hallway would look like the following photo, provided by u2cruiser, showing the arrangement of the doors when used as private, non-connecting cabins.

8274787213_077b1be4f8_c.jpg

With this arrangement, the inner doors are locked and serve as the access doors to the cabins.

(Notice the slot for the seapass card above each door handle.)

The outer doors remain open (pushed back against the wall out of the way) for the entire cruise, not used at all.

Some people may not even notice that they are there.

By eliminating the door in the common wall, they eliminate (or at least reduce) the usual problems of connecting rooms on cruise ships, such as those that were just described on the Century and the Summit in the two previous posts.

It is the same way that many hotels use a small, common entrance hallway, or alcove, to provide access to connecting rooms.

The alcove has two sets of doors, inner doors to each room and outer doors to the public hallway.

That gives them the flexibility to sell the same rooms either as connecting rooms, or as private, non-connecting rooms without needing to put a door into the wall between them.

When sold as connecting rooms, the outer doors remain closed and locked, making the little alcove private.

You use your seapass card to open one of the outer doors, to gain entry to the common alcove. You can then go from room to room via the private alcove without needing to step out into the public hallway.

The inner doors may be left either open or closed as you wish.

The concept is much the same as the way you go from one bedroom to another at home via a private hallway without needing to step out of your house. The door to each bedroom may be left open or closed.

The previous photo from playadelwes of a view looking into two connecting rooms shows how they appear from the entry alcove when they are sold as connecting rooms with both inner doors open.

2s8ivq8.jpg

But when sold as private, non-connecting rooms, the outer doors are propped open for the duration of the cruise, while the inner doors to each cabin remain closed and locked.

So the view from the hallway would look like the following photo, provided by u2cruiser, showing the arrangement of the doors when used as private, non-connecting cabins.

8274787213_077b1be4f8_c.jpg

With this arrangement, the inner doors are locked and serve as the access doors to the cabins.

(Notice the slot for the seapass card above each door handle.)

The outer doors remain open (pushed back against the wall out of the way) for the entire cruise, not used at all.

Some people may not even notice that they are there.

By eliminating the door in the common wall, they eliminate (or at least reduce) the usual problems of connecting rooms on cruise ships, such as those that were just described on the Century and the Summit in the two previous posts.

You Are Awesome! Thank You. I needed this information because we are considering a possible Pacific Costal cruise with our 4 year old twins.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the photos provided is there a reduced square footage to each cabin as a result of the 2 inner connecting doors? It appears the main doors are locked sideways to allow connecting doors to be open as separate entrances but the space between the inner and outer door would be reduced a few square feet IE the entrance way. Any thoughts?

Looking at the photos provided is there a reduced square footage to each cabin as a result of the 2 inner connecting doors? It appears the main doors are locked sideways to allow connecting doors to be open as separate entrances but the space between the inner and outer door would be reduced a few square feet IE the entrance way. Any thoughts?

Nope, all the rooms are identical--just a question whether the outer doors are open or closed. You don't lose anything by connecting, may gain 4 square feet of hallway space!

I was worried too. After having a connecting door on the Summit which was not soundproof, I hesitated to book a connection again. When I booked my first S class cruise, I was in connecting hump cabin on deck 6. The photos that are shown in other postings are right. Same size rooms. The door opens in instead of out. Sq. footage is the same. Relax...enjoy.

Archived