Tracy Arm, Sawyer Glacier & Juneau

Floridanamaw

Tracy Arm & Sawyer Glacier was worth getting up early for! Beautiful scenery. In Juneau we took the excursion to Mendenhall Glacier which included a trip on the tram afterwards. I would not recommend this excursion simply because we did not have enough time at Mendenhall park to walk to Nugget Falls, see the glacier and visit the visitor center which was also part of the price we paid. We were rushed way to much. There are many things to see at the park and we just didn't have time with this excursion.

Another slide show - it's simpler than trying to upload one picture at a time.

http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/vrjordan/slideshow/Ketckikan%20Alaska/Tracy%20Arm%20%20and%20Sawyer%20Glacier%20and%20Juneau

Thank you for posting those beautiful pictures. Was the Tracy Arm portion just taken from the cruise ship.....or did you have a separate excursion up the Tracy Arm?

Our ship is going on Tracy Arm on our next cruise. I'm excited to see it.

Thanks!

Tracy Arm & Sawyer Glacier was worth getting up early for! Beautiful scenery. In Juneau we took the excursion to Mendenhall Glacier which included a trip on the tram afterwards. I would not recommend this excursion simply because we did not have enough time at Mendenhall park to walk to Nugget Falls, see the glacier and visit the visitor center which was also part of the price we paid. We were rushed way to much. There are many things to see at the park and we just didn't have time with this excursion.

Another slide show - it's simpler than trying to upload one picture at a time.

http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/vrjordan/slideshow/Ketckikan%20Alaska/Tracy%20Arm%20%20and%20Sawyer%20Glacier%20and%20Juneau

great pictures! thanks for sharing

We would like to book this excursion...would there be enough time to see Mendehall Glacier after this excursion? It is out of Juneau correct?

When the ship goes thru the Tracy Arm can you see alot upclose or is the excursion much better?

Sorry for all the questions.....great pictures! Thanks :eek::):D

We would like to book this excursion...would there be enough time to see Mendehall Glacier after this excursion? It is out of Juneau correct?

When the ship goes thru the Tracy Arm can you see alot upclose or is the excursion much better?

Our experience with the ship (NCL Jewel) excursion was that we were too rushed. The price we paid included the trip to Mendenhall Glacier, visit to the visitor center and the glacier and Mount Roberts Tram. I don't remember how much it was. There is no fee to go to the glacier but there is a fee to go into the visitor center and of course the tram. We only had 1 and a half hours at the glacier. We walked down to Nugget Falls which is a must if you can walk for about a mile. It's beautiful. BUT, after walking down there and back we did not have enough time left to visit the center and walk some of the other shorter trails at the center. If we ever go back we will just take one of the glacier buses there and spend as much time as we want to. We felt like we could have spent another hour at the glacier and visitor center and then go back into town to ride the tram. Also, the glacier park was packed!! There were 22 buses there when we were there.

The ship entered Tracy Arm early morning (6:30) and it was well worth getting up early for. The ship was able to get fairly close but I'm sure a smaller ship used for an excursions can get closer. All of my photos were taken from our balcony. We did not go up to the top decks.

Alaska is beautiful and there is no way to see everything on a cruise. We hope to go back one day and do a DIY land tour with a small RV.

Enjoy your cruise!

Alaska is beautiful and there is no way to see everything on a cruise. We hope to go back one day and do a DIY land tour with a small RV.

The site, mytripjournal.com might be interesting for you if you plan to do Alaska via RV. You can read about lots of people's journeys to Alaska here. Some travel up from the Lower 48, spend the summer working at a park and explore on days off, while others will just travel around for 2-3 months.

I opened it TO kETCHIKAN because I knew it would include people travelling via ferry. but if you click on ALASKA you can go back to the main page and select any town OR you can pick a person and follow their itinerary. Enjoy!

http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-United_States-Alaska-Ketchikan

thanks....good to know!:):)

quote=Floridanamaw;44423301]Our experience with the ship (NCL Jewel) excursion was that we were too rushed. The price we paid included the trip to Mendenhall Glacier, visit to the visitor center and the glacier and Mount Roberts Tram. I don't remember how much it was. There is no fee to go to the glacier but there is a fee to go into the visitor center and of course the tram. We only had 1 and a half hours at the glacier. We walked down to Nugget Falls which is a must if you can walk for about a mile. It's beautiful. BUT, after walking down there and back we did not have enough time left to visit the center and walk some of the other shorter trails at the center. If we ever go back we will just take one of the glacier buses there and spend as much time as we want to. We felt like we could have spent another hour at the glacier and visitor center and then go back into town to ride the tram. Also, the glacier park was packed!! There were 22 buses there when we were there.

The ship entered Tracy Arm early morning (6:30) and it was well worth getting up early for. The ship was able to get fairly close but I'm sure a smaller ship used for an excursions can get closer. All of my photos were taken from our balcony. We did not go up to the top decks.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'm assuming you are asking about booking the ship add on Tracy Arm tour, not the Mendenhall tour which seems to be the above responses?

In my opinion- the add on Tracy Arm ship tour is grossly superior compared to the cruise ship transit. Most of the time, the cruise ships don't get anywhere near the glacier (South Sawyer), stopping at Sawyer Island. At the least being on the water is superior compared to decks up, if they happened to go the same distance. Most of the time, the add on tour, gets way closer to sights and the glacier.

As for visiting Mendenhall, it depends on time. The shuttle buses stop about 6/6:30pm. You can get a cab- but would need to call for it yourself. There is no cab line. With a late port time, this is a possibility.