Seaside Suite Questions

calgaryhhr

I was looking at booking a Seaside cruise today but their website wasn't cooperating and wouldn't let me complete the booking process so I've asked my travel agent to see if she can get it done.

I've decided on a Fantastica Suite and when I was going through the booking they offered a choice of two different types of suites. One set of suites were long and narrow with a big balcony and a whirlpool tub on the balcony (such as 9066 and 9069.) The other suite is a large suite at the front of the ship and only on deck 9 I believe (9002 and 9003.) With the forward suites do they have a balcony? Does it wrap around the front and side? Would it also have a whirl pool on the balcony?

Also, we are travelling with two kids (4 of us sharing the cabin.) The website indicates a double sofa bed. Is there also a pull down bed from the ceiling? Would the kids have to share the sofa bed?

Thanks

I think I was looking at things incorrectly and was slightly confused. It seems like the Suites mid-ship are larger and have a larger balcony but do not have a whirlpool. The Seaside suites, which are adjacent, have the whirlpool.

I'm assuming the forward suites (9002/9003) would be larger than the mid-ship suites but I'm not sure if the forward suites have a balcony which is important to us.

Can't answer your specific questions about this particular ship but have you had a forward facing balcony before? I did on MSC in the Caribbean and never again. I could only use it when we were in port as it was too windy when we were sailing. Some ships that have forward facing balconies have a tall Perspex screen to help counter that but really not the balcony experience I'd want. I like being out in the fresh air whilst we are sailing and not behind a protective screen.

The SE3 balconies which are the odd shaped ones on the change of direction of the ship 9071, 9068, 9201 and 9206 have a jacuzzi on their balconies,the S2 to which you refer 9069, 9066 do not have a Jacuzzi on their balconies. With regard to the two at the front it is hard to tell from the ship model if they will have balconies.

Tee SE3 balconies appear to be apart from the YC to be the only ones with a Jacuzzi on the balconies.

Can't answer your specific questions about this particular ship but have you had a forward facing balcony before? I did on MSC in the Caribbean and never again. I could only use it when we were in port as it was too windy when we were sailing. Some ships that have forward facing balconies have a tall Perspex screen to help counter that but really not the balcony experience I'd want. I like being out in the fresh air whilst we are sailing and not behind a protective screen.

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't considered added wind on a forward cabin and it certainly wouldn't be very appealing when the ship is cruising. I think 9208 might be a better choice. It looks like decent size suite but it has a very large balcony.

• 3 weeks later...

I called MSC about 9003 and they said there is a balcony on the blueprint, but subject to change until she is built. The model photos that Mikesa posted in this thread also seem to show a side balcony.

The deck map doesn't have the line showing the forward wall of a side balcony, but I don't see how they'd not have a balcony without leaving a blank space, and making the next balcony be the leading edge.

The deck map, with the non-S2 chunks missing:

S2%20suites.png

The model image shows balconies all the way to the front of the structure:

9303.png

There is no space for 9003 to be there and not have a balcony. Also, the model shows 7 balconies forward of the notch for the extended balconies. Above I highlight the notch, and the 7 apparent set of balcony doors in front of it. That agrees with the deck map showing 6 cabins 9005 - 9019, plus one more balcony for the suite.

Note however, that the model shows a flat wall and a gap in front of the cabin. This contradicts the deck maps which shows a curving outer/front wall. That is a big deal for me, so because it increases the size of the cabin substantially. Family of 4, space is premium.

Hopefully we'll see some actual pics sometime in fall 2017 so I can change my bookings if the cabin doesn't look like the gem I believe it will be.

I don't love the other S2s on deck 9 because they sit over a public deck.

9203:

9203.png

...this is right over what appears to be tables or something. I think there is a good possibility that someone on the railing of deck 8 could see onto the balcony (and maybe even into the cabin, though the balcony is quite deep.)

9069:

9069.png

This has some windows so people wouldn't be directly below, but still has the problem of people likely being able to see onto your balcony. Given that this balcony is on a slant, someone down the deck could certain see whatever is going on up there. Personally, I like something to be gone on up there, but wouldn't feel comfortable with a high likelihood of being seen.

Anyway, I think (believe?) that 9003 and 9002 will be a gem and have booked it a couple of weeks in 2018. I'll be keeping a close eye on construction updates though. I am a bit concerned about wind... it could be the case that wind swirls on that balcony making it worse that typical. However, I'll take the risk unless something else changes.

Thank you to MIKESA for the images. I've cropped them for this specific purpose, but all credit goes to him.

Edited by mikesteg

Note however, that the model shows a flat wall and a gap in front of the cabin.

Just as a guess it may be that there is a divider door that will allow access to the front part you mention in order for staff to clean windows that may give a forward view! there may also as you say be changes to the design of the front superstructure.

If you look either side of 9001 it appears there are two corridors/hallways that may well lead to the small deck in front of 9003 and 9002, there is access like that on some of the other ships to the front of the ship.

The cabin directly above you 10003 is the same size but is an Inside wellness cabin! on the model it appears that there are no front windows for either cabin.

We had an S2 Aurea on Deck 9 port side but moved up to the same S2 at the end of Deck 14 overlooking the Aft pool.

Edited by sidari

I called MSC about 9003 and they said there is a balcony on the blueprint, but subject to change until she is built. The model photos that Mikesa posted in this thread also seem to show a side balcony.

The deck map doesn't have the line showing the forward wall of a side balcony, but I don't see how they'd not have a balcony without leaving a blank space, and making the next balcony be the leading edge.

The deck map, with the non-S2 chunks missing:

The model image shows balconies all the way to the front of the structure:

There is no space for 9003 to be there and not have a balcony. Also, the model shows 7 balconies forward of the notch for the extended balconies. Above I highlight the notch, and the 7 apparent set of balcony doors in front of it. That agrees with the deck map showing 6 cabins 9005 - 9019, plus one more balcony for the suite.

Note however, that the model shows a flat wall and a gap in front of the cabin. This contradicts the deck maps which shows a curving outer/front wall. That is a big deal for me, so because it increases the size of the cabin substantially. Family of 4, space is premium.

Hopefully we'll see some actual pics sometime in fall 2017 so I can change my bookings if the cabin doesn't look like the gem I believe it will be.

I don't love the other S2s on deck 9 because they sit over a public deck.

9203:

...this is right over what appears to be tables or something. I think there is a good possibility that someone on the railing of deck 8 could see onto the balcony (and maybe even into the cabin, though the balcony is quite deep.)

9069:

This has some windows so people wouldn't be directly below, but still has the problem of people likely being able to see onto your balcony. Given that this balcony is on a slant, someone down the deck could certain see whatever is going on up there. Personally, I like something to be gone on up there, but wouldn't feel comfortable with a high likelihood of being seen.

Anyway, I think (believe?) that 9003 and 9002 will be a gem and have booked it a couple of weeks in 2018. I'll be keeping a close eye on construction updates though. I am a bit concerned about wind... it could be the case that wind swirls on that balcony making it worse that typical. However, I'll take the risk unless something else changes.

Thank you to MIKESA for the images. I've cropped them for this specific purpose, but all credit goes to him.

I think 9002 and 9003 have a lot of potential for being great cabins. I'm hoping that as time goes on and construction photos are provided it becomes clearer as to the balcony situation and forward view of those two suites. Hopefully there is still an opportunity for me to switch back to 9002/9003 for our cruise.

I realized there are some dining tables below our current 9208 suite but I don't think noise will be too bad.

Yep, there is public space under most of deck 9. 9002 and 9003 are above an undefined area, which could be the anchors for all I know. Done that before... not so good. Thankfully most ports are docked these days.

There appear to be S2 cabins on 10, 11... all the way to 15. Those were not offered to me, and I assume the same for you. Maybe the map is incorrect or they aren't available yet? Or I'm misreading the colors... :o

If you look either side of 9001 it appears there are two corridors/hallways that may well lead to the small deck in front of 9003 and 9002, there is access like that on some of the other ships to the front of the ship.

That appears to be a pretty small passage. Relative to the hallways, those white lines look to be about 0.3 to 0.5 meters wide. I'd be more inclined to think it was structural, or piping or such. Or, the deck map could be off and they'll be taking a couple feet out of the cabins. :eek: I'd love to have some windows there, but I'd move for sure if there is a narrow walkway where people are standing right outside the window at times. I'll definitely keep an eye on that.

I think windows are a pipe dream in any case. The entire ship has swoops and curves. The front looks like a big circle, with solid bulkhead in front of deck 9, and most of 10. Since this is part of the aesthetic of the ship exterior, it seems pretty unlikely to change.

I have to say I'm really loving the $200 deposit these days. Booking 25 months out it would be hard to part with $1000 like on other lines.

mike ... Our cabin is an S3 Aurea Suite 14262 not S2 as posted earlier, looking at the deck plans it seems something is amiss, Deck 8 is the shortest deck yet everything above it is longer according to the deck plans! not sure how that is supposed to work.

We originally booked an S3 on Deck 9 at the back with the long balconies, when I rang MSC on three occasions I was told the S3`s on the back of the ship were not available to book, I emailed them and had a reply giving me all the available S3 cabins which included those on the Aft, after I rang again we got moved to Deck 14 so it sometimes pays to stick at it just incase although they release certain cabins and decks to different MSC offices in different countries.

Looking at the ship model on the starboard side it does look like 9003/2 could be over the anchor positions!

Edited by sidari

Yeah, I would love to have one of those aft cabins, but I had noticed that they are all S3. Understandably so, as those are fantastic cabins. Currently the S3 is US$1000 more than the S2 for us, with a $300 SBC netting out to $700. We drink very little alcohol, and wouldn't normally use the SPA, so I just can't justify the extra cost.

I will definitely be checking availability and prices routinely over the next 2 years. Anybody aware of a price tracking site that handles MSC? I use cruise fish for Carnival, but they don't cover MSC.

Problem here is that MSC stopped travel agents discounting their prices a few years back so unless MSC change the fares themselves you have no chance, fairly sure they do not do price drops either if you have already booked.

No idea if they are doing this over there or are following the rules of holiday sales in the USA.

• 1 year later...

I am also looking closely at cabins 9002 and 9003 for my upcoming cruise in 2018.

Those two cabins are regular fantastica suite, but they are much larger than any other cabins in the category. And from what I can tell in the rendering and images found on the web, they should have a huge wrap around balcony going from the side of the ship to the front. They seems to also include a oceanview window in front of the ship... Very interesting!

But not the best position for ship movement... Other than that they look great.

From what I see on MSC website when trying to book cabin 9002 or 9003, there is really a huge wrap around bow facing balcony.

Cabin surface: 296 Square feet

Balcony size: 409 Sqare feet That is HUGE!

but it seems there's no convertible SOFA bed to bunks. It's simply a double sofa bed only.

• 5 months later...

Be careful with forward balcony cabins....

I did not heed the warnings and once opened the door on a sea day and the wind blew over anything it could in the cabin. It was hard to shut the door because the curtain kept getting stuck in it. NEVER AGAIN.

Unless you really just like the cabin & could care less about having a balcony.