US users of Mobal.com international cell phones

NoWhiners

Hi all

I know I have read on some of these threads about this kind of phone. it sounds perfect for us as an emergency phone when we cruise overseas. Does anyone have any experience with them and can answer a few questions?

Are they as good as they seem? Any issues getting it set up? How can you test it short of taking it on a cruise and making a test call home? I know the per minute cost is a bit high but we won't use it that often for this to be a problem and still cheaper than having a phone/plan here for too much money! I use a tracfone at home and it is perfect for me.

I posted this on the Ask a cruise question thread and I am going to try HAL too. I think that may be where I heard about this.

Thanks for any help

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

We have had a Mobal phone since 2012. We used it on two motorhome trips in Europe. It was easy to set up. We chose a basic style phone that cost next to nothing. What is great is that there are no charges unless you use the phone. I could leave for Europe tomorrow and have a usable phone the moment I get there. Never intended it be for chatting but emergencies and making reservations. Make sure you understand how to dial in various countries. It changes depending on where you are. Worked better than buying a sim card in Germany as the Germans require that you have a legit German address.

We have had a Mobal phone since 2012. We used it on two motorhome trips in Europe. It was easy to set up. We chose a basic style phone that cost next to nothing. What is great is that there are no charges unless you use the phone. I could leave for Europe tomorrow and have a usable phone the moment I get there. Never intended it be for chatting but emergencies and making reservations. Make sure you understand how to dial in various countries. It changes depending on where you are. Worked better than buying a sim card in Germany as the Germans require that you have a legit German address.

mysusie

Thanks for this feedback, excellent. Could you explain just a little more about how to dial in different countries--I thought we just needed a country code and could dial? Please let me know if I am wrong about this. I'm sure we can master it, juts need to understand what we need to do.

I am debating the very basic phone or the smartphone (basic). I am just worried about using a strictly 2G phone as systems evolve bu that's just the techie side of me :)

Thanks for the info

ML

mysusie

Thanks for this feedback, excellent. Could you explain just a little more about how to dial in different countries--I thought we just needed a country code and could dial? Please let me know if I am wrong about this. I'm sure we can master it, juts need to understand what we need to do.

I am debating the very basic phone or the smartphone (basic). I am just worried about using a strictly 2G phone as systems evolve bu that's just the techie side of me :)

Thanks for the info

ML

Different country codes in different countries.

As far as the basic phone and 2G, those units are so inexpensive (at least the basic phone right now) I wouldn't be concerned about upgrading phones in the future if needed. After all, that is the cell phone company's business model. Planned obsolescence. :D

Seriously though, those basic models are extremely inexpensive.

Edited by ar1950

Different country codes in different countries.

As far as the basic phone and 2G, those units are so inexpensive (at least the basic phone right now) I wouldn't be concerned about upgrading phones in the future if needed. After all, that is the cell phone company's business model. Planned obsolescence. :D

Seriously though, those basic models are extremely inexpensive.

Thanks for the help. Good point about upgrading phones in the future and the basic phone is all we really need. Just thinking if we get a smartphone now, it will save us a step later. But you have nailed the decision point for us :)

So much thinking over $50-:D

Thanks for your info

ML