Where is the best fish sandwich?

Sprasa03

I think most people stop at the Swizzle Inn while in Bermuda but my family is not looking for a long, sit down, expensive lunch.

My group really wants to try the traditional fish sandwich on the raisin bread with coleslaw, like the locals eat!

We're very happy to buy a sandwich and continue or our way, so even a stand or stall or cafe would be acceptable for us.

Can anyone suggest a place for a quick bite of real Bermudian food??

Majority will rule here - whatever gets the most press, we'll try !

I'm not sure if Art Mel's is open. The St. George's location closed last year, then the owner passed away several months ago and the location near Hamilton may also be out of business as a result. Perhaps a local can fill us in on the current status.

I'm not sure if Art Mel's is open. The St. George's location closed last year, then the owner passed away several months ago and the location near Hamilton may also be out of business as a result. Perhaps a local can fill us in on the current status.

From what I can tell from their Facebook page and reviews posted on Tripadviser that are recent, it appears the Hamilton location is still in business. I checked those before my recent visit in case we might want to go there. It would be good though if a local or recent visitor could confirm they are still in business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Art Mels in Hamilton was closed when we were there in May of this year. According to some of the locals, the family is fighting after Art passed away. Don't know if and when they will reopen, but check and see before you go. Someone mentioned Mama Angies, I thought it was excellent. It was recommended by a few locals when we stayed in St. George.

After reading the great tripadvisor reviews, I'm planning on trying the fish sandwich at Mama Angie's coffee shop in St George's. Anyone tried it? https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147256-d7219063-Reviews-Mama_Angie_s_Coffee_Shop-St_George_St_George_s_Parish_Bermuda.html

Did it take you a long time to get our of Mama Angie's - we're really trying to have a quick lunch to not waste the time of our taxi tour guide. The meter runs while we eat, which is why we're in a rush.

And all the family really wants is to try one of those fish sandwiches!!

This makes me sad about Art Mel's. Our cabbie took us to the Hamilton location and it was fantastic. If they reopen go there. One will suffice. We did a glass bottom boat tour last year and the guys that run it said they like the place by the road on the way back into the dockyard. I don't remember the name.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received a 2016 Bermuda brochure that listed:

Rosa's at 121 Front St in Hamilton (Winner of the 2015 Fish Sandwich competition)

Tribe Road Kitchen at 87 Reld St in Hamilton

Mama Angie's at 48 York St in Town of St. George

Hope we get to one while on our cruise in September. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Art Mel's in St G is closed. The one in Hamilton is doing business.

The guide at the visitor's center at the dockyard suggested Rosa's who won the best fish sandwich competition.

I have not been to Rosa's yet, I have had them at several other places and I like them all!:p

Was just in BDA for the last 2 weeks and read about Rosa's, but a Tex-Mex place making a fish sandwich just didn't equate for me. I did have a fish on raisin bread with slaw at Mama Angie's in St Georges, while it was no Art Mel's, it was plentiful and tasty - and a great price. I also had the best cod cake ever from the Somers Market hot buffet in St Georges, very unlike the ones from home that are potato cakes with a little cod thrown in.

Was just in BDA for the last 2 weeks and read about Rosa's, but a Tex-Mex place making a fish sandwich just didn't equate for me. I did have a fish on raisin bread with slaw at Mama Angie's in St Georges, while it was no Art Mel's, it was plentiful and tasty - and a great price. I also had the best cod cake ever from the Somers Market hot buffet in St Georges, very unlike the ones from home that are potato cakes with a little cod thrown in.

There is an article in today's Royal Gazette about Rosa's fish sandwiches. Made me very inclined to have their fish sandwich next time in Hamilton. There is mention about the restaurant being Mexican but the manager is Bermudian and it is Bermudian owned. They are using an old family recipe. The fish sandwiches are Bermudian, not Mexican.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160809/rosas-success-is-nothing-fishy

Edited by Charles4515

There is an article in today's Royal Gazette about Rosa's fish sandwiches. Made me very inclined to have their fish sandwich next time in Hamilton. There is mention about the restaurant being Mexican but the manager is Bermudian and it is Bermudian owned. They are using an old family recipe. The fish sandwiches are Bermudian, not Mexican.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160809/rosas-success-is-nothing-fishy

I wasn't saying they were Mexican fish sandwiches, the point I was trying to make was I wouldn't order moo-shoo pork from an Italian joint even if the chef was Chinese. I wasn't trying to slight Rosa's in any way.

I wasn't saying they were Mexican fish sandwiches, the point I was trying to make was I wouldn't order moo-shoo pork from an Italian joint even if the chef was Chinese. I wasn't trying to slight Rosa's in any way.

I wasn't saying you were. I would not have been inclined to toward Rosa's either for a fish sandwich until I read the article this morning. The article changed my mind. That's why I linked to it.

We have a small Mexican take out place here on Long Island that is set up just like a Chinese take out, even the paper menu is set up and looks just like one you would get at a Chinese take out. Funny thing is that it is owned, staffed and the cooks are all Chinese. I've eaten real Mexican food on numerous trips south of the border and the food in this take out is equal to anything I've had in Mexico...... So you never know until you've tried it

• 2 weeks later...

Moo-Shu Pork Parmigiana.......don't knock it till you try it.....lol

Rosa's won the Best Fish Sandwich contest last year which was organised by the Bermuda Tourism Authority. The top five were voted by the public and then were invited to a taste off by three chefs and Rosa's won.

Art Mel's did not want to participate in the competition and even when the public mounted a write-in campaign and they made the top 5, Art Mel's declined to participate.

Art Mel's in Hamilton is open, but they close on Sunday and Monday, so keep that in mind.

It should also be mentioned that to get to Art Mel's in Hamilton cruise passengers would want to take a taxi or moped. Some kind of ride. It is out of the way. It would not be recomended to walk there. It is not on Front Street, downtown, like Rosa's.

Edited by Charles4515