Breakaway 11-20-16

orion7144

Going on our 26th anniversary cruise with our disabled adult child. Only our 2nd cruise but a little nervous about the weather. Driving from the Cincinnati area. Have not decided if we will come the day before and stay in NJ or just leave late at night from Ohio. I scheduled it a couple of months ago and there were only a couple accessible rooms but they were all ocean view and not balcony. A little worried her chair wont fit through the door.

Any experience with the late November cruises?

When you booked it did you tell them your son was in a wheelchair? I am not sure how they handle it but should be able to tell you if it could fit in the doorway.

Also if it doesn't, I've seen some posts about people renting wheelchairs for cruises and/or travel.

We are taking her stroller type wheelchair so it is a little narrower. We booked through Costco and then we called NCL. They said, and I quote " if it doesn't fit you can carry her in then fold the chair". After reading post on here about people booking accessible rooms and they do not need the kind of makes us mad but it is the world we live in.

Any experience with the late November cruises?

Cruising in November will be fine. The tropics will have settled down,,, very low chance of Hurricanes. You need some warmer clothes for departing NY. The Florida and the Bahamas should be plenty warm.

Coordinate getting on/off the tenders at GSC with the ship's staff in advance. They have some big wheel beach wheelchairs available to get you to the beach. Consider a small cabana for your party (can't tell you much more since GCS is currently undergoing a major make over and no one knows what the new island configuration will be).

Have you tried again to check balcony availability again since you first booked? Many people put deposits on cruises and then cancel when it gets to final payment date (which I believe final payment for your cruise was this past week.)

Something may have opened up! Good luck! :)

That is one of the issues with NCL. The normal port/starboard accessible balconies are only for 2 people (according to NCL reps on the phone). On RCL all of their accessible cabins are at least 3. Even when I told NCL that even though she is 22 she is the size of a tall 4 year old, they told me only 2 per room in those accessible rooms. The aft accessible balcony rooms do hold 3-4 but were booked.

Have you tried again to check balcony availability again since you first booked? Many people put deposits on cruises and then cancel when it gets to final payment date (which I believe final payment for your cruise was this past week.)

Something may have opened up! Good luck! :)