San Juan airport

It's a Fair Port

Our return flight is not until 5 pm. If we have to be off the Star by 10:30 am, will we be able to check luggage at airport and spend some time in town? Does anyone know what the airport facilities are like if we can't check luggage and are stuck there. Haven't been to SJU in about 20 years and am hoping it has improved since then.

I can't really answer your question, other than vaguely remembering no particular problems in San Juan when we disembarked there and went to the airport on a cruise 3 or so years ago. However, we didn't have a late flight home after our cruise. If Viking is letting you stay until 10:30, that's really generous, and opens up more possibilities than the cruise lines that need you to be off at 9.

You might be able to get a better answer if you post in the "Ports of Call" section of the Cruise Critic boards. I know Celebrity and other large cruise lines travel to and from San Juan quite a bit, so someone on that board may be able to help you. We loved San Juan - hope you get to see it before flying out. Perhaps there's luggage storage at the port or somewhere else that will help, or a taxi tour that's reasonably-priced for a half day or so.

Edited by roothy123

Flew out of SanJuan on American after cruising on Carnival last December. We were allowed to clear the agriculture check but the kiosk would not allow you to check in until 3 hours before your flight time, so you also couldn't check any bags as well. The only seating before the security check is handicap only and fenced off as well so we sat on floor for just over 2 hours till we could get boarding pass and check bags, hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I am guessing on the 10:30 based on what I have read about some of the other Viking Ocean cruises. Hopefully it won't be a really early departure. Sitting on my luggage for 3-4 hours as it is wouldn't be my first choice of how I would like to end a vacation. Because the air was booked with Viking I would hope that they kept things like airport issues in mind, but time will tell. Have posted as suggested on the SanJuan board and will see what I hear there.

Thanks for the advice. I am guessing on the 10:30 based on what I have read about some of the other Viking Ocean cruises. Hopefully it won't be a really early departure. Sitting on my luggage for 3-4 hours as it is wouldn't be my first choice of how I would like to end a vacation. Because the air was booked with Viking I would hope that they kept things like airport issues in mind' date=' but time will tell. Have posted as suggested on the SanJuan board and will see what I hear there.[/quote']

On our sailing this past summer, we had to be out of our cabins by 8:00 am and off the ship by 10 am.

Yesterday we had to be out of rooms by 8am and all off the ship by 9.30am. We left then as our transfer was not until 10am and were nearly last off. We had 4 hours until our United flight to NY and were able to check luggage and go through. There was plenty of seating after security and several places to eat. Strange security process of asking under 75's only to remove shoes. I didn't have to take my iPad out of my bag but I had to remove a thin chiffon over shirt and go through in a vest top. Even though they had one of those body scanners. Not all lines had the same so pick carefully.

Thanks for the report!

Did you happen to notice if they had a line for TSA pre-check? Most major U.S. airports do, but I'm not sure about San Juan. It's not a huge deal if they don't, but just thought I'd ask. We've gotten so used to being able to leave shoes and coat on, and not have to remove things.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the report!

Did you happen to notice if they had a line for TSA pre-check? Most major U.S. airports do, but I'm not sure about San Juan. It's not a huge deal if they don't, but just thought I'd ask. We've gotten so used to being able to leave shoes and coat on, and not have to remove things.

Get the global entry card. You'll love it

... Strange security process of asking under 75's only to remove shoes.....

You read it wrong. Everyone has to take off their shoes. If you are over 75, they have decided to give them a break. You might think it is the same, but one is a negative view, and the other is a positive view.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/screening-passengers-75-and-older