Non-refundable booking: change from a quad to 2 double occupancy cabins

Friend100

Our initial booking was a quad occupancy cabin with the non-refundable rate. We are thinking of changing to two double occupancy cabins of the same ship, same date, but a different cabin category. My TA said I will lose the $530 CAD deposit for the 3rd & 4th passenger as this is treated as a cancel, and I have to pay another $530 deposit for booking the second cabin for them.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Our initial booking was a quad occupancy cabin with the non-refundable rate. We are thinking of changing to two double occupancy cabins of the same ship, same date, but a different cabin category. My TA said I will lose the $530 CAD deposit for the 3rd & 4th passenger as this is treated as a cancel, and I have to pay another $530 deposit for booking the second cabin for them.

You should only lose a portion of your deposit. Under US rules, you would lose $100 USD per person, but I don't know the amount for cruises booked in CAD. The remainder of the deposit could be used for the new booking.

I'm Canadian and the rules are the same. Your 3rd & 4th guests will the lose the equivalent of $100US each (so whatever they convert that to in CDN) as a change fee. The remainder of that will be credited back to each passenger in the form of a Future Cruise Credit. You then have a year from the time of issue to use that. Basically you can use the FCC to pay for the second stateroom once it is issued to you but the $100US change fee you will not get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe penalty fee is when you change ship and sail date. I would be surprised to hear there is a penalty for changing staterooms on same sailing. Is price increasing overall as a result?

I believe penalty fee is when you change ship and sail date. I would be surprised to hear there is a penalty for changing staterooms on same sailing. Is price increasing overall as a result?

There would be no penalty if all 4 of them are changing to a different stateroom and staying together but because only 2 are going they have to "cancel" those two and start a new reservation for them. It's the cancelling that results in the change fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP here. After several emails and conversations between myself and my TA, and supposedly numerous phone calls between my TA and the cruise line, here is the outcome: 2 of us are moved to a new reservation and we pay new NR deposit of $530 CAD. The other 2 people remain in the old reservation, and the original NR deposit total of $1,060 stay with the booking, hence, I just have a lower remaining balance left to pay.

The fine prints of RCI's Non-refundable Deposit Booking ("NRDB") did say this:

Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee ("FCC"). FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date. $100 per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date.
Since we aren't changing ship nor sail date, IMO, technically this $100 (or whatever it is for $cad) doesn't apply, but I do think that this is a grey area based on the current terms and conditions. We have a good TA and she helped us to present our case and get what we want.

We are actually downgrading so we pay much less.