Solstice Pacific NW - September 2018

Tennant

Since this is a bit of a one off cruise there isn’t a lot of reviews or info available. Anyone done a similar itinerary? Any tips? Any cautions?

We’ve cruise celebrity before but never wear coast. We will have our 18 month old along and this will be his 2nd celebrity cruise so we know all the rules.

Looking more for info on weather, sea condition and easy transit in ports experiences.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love Solstice. The Pacific Ocean can get bumpy north of San Francisco, so just be prepared. Nice to have the overnight in San Francisco. We took the hop-on, hop-off tour on the open top bus - great overview. So much to see! Weather in Victoria (we live across the water) is perfect that time of the year - usually mid 70s. About a 15 minute walk into downtown. Butchart Gardens is a favorite - your little one will probably enjoy the Butterfly garden and bug exhibit - a seperate venue on the way (by bus) to Butchart. Have a great time!

Thanks so much!

Would the waters around San Francisco be similar to a bumpy ride in the eastern Caribbean? We’ve had some rough rides on the first night out or the last night back in. Otherwise in the western Caribbean and Mediterranean and Baltic only had smooth sailings!

Since this is a bit of a one off cruise there isn’t a lot of reviews or info available. Anyone done a similar itinerary? Any tips? Any cautions?

We’ve cruise celebrity before but never wear coast. We will have our 18 month old along and this will be his 2nd celebrity cruise so we know all the rules.

Looking more for info on weather, sea condition and easy transit in ports experiences.

Thanks!!

Make sure to dress in layers. We like the ships excursion in Astoria that does both Sea Side and Cannon Beach. Nice ride and plenty of time at both stops. This will be our fourth Canada/US Pacific Coastal cruise. Doing it again on the Infinity (did the Infinity September 2017) on 2 September 2018.

Edited by davekathy

We usually have our best weather here in the San Francisco bay area in Sept and early October. We did this sailing in Sept (Seattle to Seattle instead of ending in Vancouver) a year and a half ago. It was a wonderful sailing.

We did get rain in the afternoon in Astoria (think, coming down in buckets) but plenty of bright sunshine in San Francisco once the fog cleared. It was on the cool side for those that were from Florida but being from this area, I think 60 degrees is ideal.

I love the overnight stays in San Francisco. Be sure to take a bit of time to see the light show on the Bay Bridge at night while you are docked. You will be able to see if from the ship. I also highly recommend getting tickets to Alcatraz (get them ahead of time through the official site online) if your little one is up for that. Such an interesting tour ... be sure to get the audio headsets, otherwise, it won't be as meaningful. There are so many other things to do in the City, I just always think Alcatraz for someone that's not been here before. You are basically docked right in the middle of town and there is the Muni and BART, both public transportation within a stone's throw of the dock ... well, Muni is right there but BART is only one mile and all flat with sidewalks along the waterfront.

You'll be close to Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, North Beach, the Cable Car entrance going one way and the Ferry Building, Coit Tower, Exploratorium, etc. going the other direction towards the Bay Bridge. Just be aware of your surroundings if walking around certain areas of the City, especially at night. You probably already know that, though.

In Astoria, there is the Maritime Museum (within a hardy walking distance), Fort Clatsop (sp?) ... think Lewis and Clark, the Column for astounding views, breweries (I think 5 within walking distance of the dock), beautiful scenery, etc. If you are into getting up early when the cross the Columbia Gorge, you won't be sorry. It's known as a dangerous venture and of course, a well trained pilot will help to guide the ship into the River. All of this, again, depends on your little one. Oh, and there is a trolley here but extremely crowded once a ship comes into town. You can sign up for a bus ride to go into town if you choose but there was also a long line for that. We walked it and would have preferred to take the trolley (or a bus) back to the ship but there was just no room for us.

In Victoria, the Butchart Gardens are pretty but there is a park in town within walking distance to the ship called Beacon Hill Park. To me, it is beautiful and completely free to the public. It is right up from Mile Zero and there is even a popular ice cream shop that all the locals swear by on the way there (I think it is up Douglas St). You can make an entire loop and end up at a Totem Pole exhibit just outside the BC Natural History Museum. If you go a bit further, you will run into the Government Buildings on one side and the Empress Hotel on the other. Go past the Empress and down the road there is China Town and down to the water on this side, you will hit a funky little Fisherman's Wharf area. It is all walkable if you are up for another hardy style walk. So many things to do and see in this wonderful city.

Of note, if you are not staying over in Vancouver after the cruise, they have a flat rate cab ride back to the airport (be sure to just ask for the flat rate before hand). There is no Uber or Lyft in Canada (yet). Getting to the ship from SeaTac, if that's what you'll be doing, the cheapest way is probably Uber, though.

As others have mentioned, the seas going north out of San Francisco can get pretty rough. I've been on sailings out of SF when the seas were very slight, though ... but that's kind of rare.

The Solstice is a wonderful ship. We try to book on her often! There probably won't be many other kids onboard, leaving yours to be spoiled to death by the staff / crew, many of which are missing their own kids.

Thanks, Cruise Raider for reminding me - Beacon Hill Park in Victoria is beautiful...and they have a petting zoo there (entrance is by donation) lots of goats, chickens, other animals - makes for great photos!

Thanks, Cruise Raider for reminding me - Beacon Hill Park in Victoria is beautiful...and they have a petting zoo there (entrance is by donation) lots of goats, chickens, other animals - makes for great photos!

Oh yes ... forgot to mention that. It would be perfect for the little one. Heck, even as an adult, I like going in.

These are all wonderful suggestions! Made my reservation this morning and can’t wait to get planning in more detail.

On the way in and out of San Francisco, is it very windy? Planning to book and alcove for both sea days and just wondering if we will be able to be outside. Dressing warm isn’t a problem even with the little guy, we live in Chicago :) just as long as it’s not terribly windy or raining!

These are all wonderful suggestions! Made my reservation this morning and can’t wait to get planning in more detail.

On the way in and out of San Francisco, is it very windy? Planning to book and alcove for both sea days and just wondering if we will be able to be outside. Dressing warm isn’t a problem even with the little guy, we live in Chicago :) just as long as it’s not terribly windy or raining!

If that fog is thick, it will be chilly but a couple of times, we sailed out of SF in Sept and it was actually hot....I mean, it was in the 90’s and for us, that is hot!

Then again, it might be freezing. Just hard to tell this far out but generally, Sept gives us our best weather here in the Bay Area. It would be rare to get any rain in that month. But, wind is just too unpredictable to say one way or another.

Fingers crossed! We took an alcove for both sea days so even if it’s chilly I’m hoping wind and rain will cooperate so we can be outside with our little guy.

Thinking of renting a car in Astoria and doing a drive along the coast and stopping at Cannon Beach. Anyone done something similar? Any other recommendations for stops along the coast?