QE2 Overbooked

Glaciers

Our TA just informed us that the QE2 may be overbooked. The TA received a note from Cunard that they were offering existing passengers on the QE2 an option of taking a later cruise in January/February on the QM2 at a substanial discount. We were offered a grill category, up from C2, and an onboard credit. We don't know the details as we weren't interested. Anyone who is interested may want to contact their TA or Cunard. It may have just been on our portion which is NYC to LA.

Anyone get similar information?

Another CC member l know of was booked on an earlier QE2 cruise was given one days notice to the effect that the ship is overbooked and tough!!! one would have thought in this day and age and with tickets being sent out that the cruise lines would know exactly what is going on, always think its a bit like saying your a BIT pregnant, either you are or your not??? God knows how l would react if l was told sorry you can't travel !!

after how i was treated the other year when i booked the qe2 and day before iam told she is overbooked and you are not going, i could not believe it! it was a hassle as i booked another cruise the t/a was not even interested in booking me another! i only got the refund the day i was lvg. i did get a free cruise which i took this year and all went ok.

its a real shame this has to happen

dave

Our TA just informed us that the QE2 may be overbooked. The TA received a note from Cunard that they were offering existing passengers on the QE2 an option of taking a later cruise in January/February on the QM2 at a substanial discount. We were offered a grill category, up from C2, and an onboard credit. We don't know the details as we weren't interested. Anyone who is interested may want to contact their TA or Cunard. It may have just been on our portion which is NYC to LA.

Anyone get similar information?

We are not booked on this (but hopefully in 2007!) but been chatting with our TA about the WC segments and mentioned this problem specifically since I saw it on the boards. Evidently from what he gathers that so many deposits were put down that in fact more deposits were put down than spaces available. Yield on those deposits (% of people that pay the final and book) exceeded the alloted space and like airlines some people had to go. I suspect that it would be passengers with guarantees or stand bys or other non or semi confirmed arrangements and not people who have paid finals early and confirmed specific cabins. And I am sure Cunard is probably sensitive to past passengers and the like. So it would likely be wingers and fly by night bookers that may get bumped. Thats too bad because they have too much space on the LA to Sydney Australia segment, so much so that one internet agency is offering that segment at 72% off rack which is an incredible deal.

This has happened before. I have been told that I cannot go on a cruise that I had booked, and that we were getting bumped off. The ship was "full" and our cabin had been "double booked".

I'm not quite sure why we were bumped off and those lower down the ship weren't, but I have to say we had plenty of notice and Cunard made a satisfactory gesture, so I wasn't complaining.

But it had better not happen again!

We booked the 2007 World Cruise months ago, before Cunard posted it on their website. (Other websites, and my TA had the information weeks before Cunard managed to update their website.)

We were the second couple to book the WC 2007, so surely they wouldn't bump us????

They CAN upgrade us if they wish ha ha ha.

We are not booked on this (but hopefully in 2007!) but been chatting with our TA about the WC segments and mentioned this problem specifically since I saw it on the boards. Evidently from what he gathers that so many deposits were put down that in fact more deposits were put down than spaces available. Yield on those deposits (% of people that pay the final and book) exceeded the alloted space and like airlines some people had to go. I suspect that it would be passengers with guarantees or stand bys or other non or semi confirmed arrangements and not people who have paid finals early and confirmed specific cabins. And I am sure Cunard is probably sensitive to past passengers and the like. So it would likely be wingers and fly by night bookers that may get bumped. Thats too bad because they have too much space on the LA to Sydney Australia segment, so much so that one internet agency is offering that segment at 72% off rack which is an incredible deal.

Thanks planetcadillac! Wonderful Explanation. We were confirmed and had paid all of our fare so they told us there was no chance of getting bumped off the ship. We did let them know that in order to accomodate other passengers we would sacrifice and accept an upgrade to a grill cabin. Guess I need to work on my delivery as it didn't work.

I wonder WHERE in the "fine-print" one could see the details of Bumping one off a Cruise?? Anyone know??? Serious...

Clause 26 in the package contract - "It (Cunard) shall be entitled at any time prior to departure to cancell the contract on operational, comercial or other grounds."

David.

Our TA just contacted us. Cunard has now offered a free cruise to "clients booked in categories M1-C1 on the QE2 departing on January 9, 2006". Plus an upgrade to a Princess Grill category. Sounds as though the free cruise would be on the QM2.

Actually, as much as I want to experience the QE2, the cheap side of me says that this is a great opportunity!

Archived