Sign & Sail/tipping For Children

lkychm

Hello to all and THANKS for all the great info on these boards. We are a family of four and cruising for the first time. We will be on the Ecststy in July. I am aware that they charge $10.00 a day P/P on the S&S for gratuity. We are ok with that but my question is...I have a three y/o and an 8 y/o. Will they charge the same? If they do it is ok. I'm just trying to plan a budget. I plan on using Camp Carnival and planning to tip them extra. Thanks

Hello to all and THANKS for all the great info on these boards. We are a family of four and cruising for the first time. We will be on the Ecststy in July. I am aware that they charge $10.00 a day P/P on the S&S for gratuity. We are ok with that but my question is...I have a three y/o and an 8 y/o. Will they charge the same? If they do it is ok. I'm just trying to plan a budget. I plan on using Camp Carnival and planning to tip them extra. Thanks

Direct from the Carnival Cruiseline website...

What is the tipping policy onboard?spacer.gifGuests can pay their shipboard gratuities in one of two ways:

1. Reverse Gratuity Policy - For our guests' convenience, we automatically add the recommended gratuities to the onboard Sail & Sign account on embarkation day.

Guests will have the discretion to adjust these gratuities based upon the level of service received during the cruise. This includes the option to adjust gratuities (up or down) for any individual on the Dining or Housekeeping staff. In order to do so, the guest will need to visit the Information Desk on board.

2. Pre-Paid Gratuity Policy - Gratuities are pre-arranged and paid at the time of booking or any time up to two weeks prior to the sail date.

All guests on each booking must prepay the gratuities, with the exception of children under two. The pre-paid gratuities can not be removed once the booking has been ticketed. The guest will not have the option to adjust the gratuities (up or down) based on the level of service received during the cruise.

The dollar amount of the gratuities will appear in the Miscellaneous Charge field on the booking. The guest copy on the cruise ticket will indicate if gratuities have been paid.

The total amount will be $10 per guest, per day, which breaks down as follows:

• $5.50 pp/pd for Dining Team Service (Headwaiter and Waiter)
  • $1 pp/pd for Bistro Service (Waiter/Cooks)
  • $3.50 pp/pd for Cabin Services (Cabin Steward)

Tipping the Maitre D' is strictly at guest's discretion, based upon services rendered. For guests who wish to extend this gratuity in cash, an envelope will be available on the last evening of the cruise.

Tipping still applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or utilizing room service.

Bar Waiters, Deck Stewards and Bell Boys - Certain personnel, as noted above, may be tipped as service is rendered. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to beverage purchases which the guest may adjust appropriate to the service received.

Note: Guests under two years of age are not required to extend gratuities.

Yes-- your children will be charged the 10.00 per personrate for tips.

These can be adjusted by visiting the pursers desk

But hopefully you will not adjust them down. Having cruised with my two kids beginning at 18 months and 4 years, I will tell you that they are just as much work, if not more, for both cabin and dining room staff.

I think most parents would agree that young children are a lot of work for parents and hotel staff alike. I think the tips for children are warranted, especially for dining room staff.

One question: normally there are two to a cabin; however, up to four (or even five on some ships) can occupy some cabins. Is it any more work for the cabin steward to service the room if four are in there, compared to two? There is still the same amount of space to take care of.

So, would the full tip per person be justified for the steward in this case? Not suggesting anything here, just seeking comments. :)

This is one instance where, I think, it makes sense for children to be "charged" the same for service. What I would do in your shoes would be to budget the full amount of tips for your kids. Then, while on the cruise, witness for yourself the service they receive. If you think it is inadequate or not worth the total amount charged, then change it. Please just don't remove tips for your kids in an effort to save money.

One question: normally there are two to a cabin; however, up to four (or even five on some ships) can occupy some cabins. Is it any more work for the cabin steward to service the room if four are in there, compared to two? There is still the same amount of space to take care of.

We've taken the kids on the last seven cruises and I think the cabin stewards and most other ship employees go out of their way to treat the kids special. Also, my kids have to pick up after themselves, but we've walked by some open cabins on some cruises and the rooms were trashed. I felt so bad for some of the cabin stewards having to clean up after some of those people who let their kids trash the cabin. They definitely earn their tips (IMO).

a family of 4 occupying one cabin--instead of 2 beds to be make twice a day--there is 4. 4 people using the same bathroom is twice the mess.

SO with that-- i say yes.. the steward does more for a cabin with 4 people then he does with a cabin for 2.

Lots of people think they are on vacation and leave the cabins trashy. thats the cabin stewards job and they paid a lot of money for this vacation.

I refuse to make a bed that the cabin steward will remake when I leave the room but I will not leave dirty dishes around the cabin or wet towels all over the place.. even paying a lot of money- there is no reason to be a slob.

I will be adjusting my tips for the kids on this cruise. I am not sure yet how I will go about doing it.

The kids (4 of them ) will not be eating in the formal dining room. We, in the past, have had the late seating. Last cruise I decided to switch to early seating ( which I HATE ) so the kids could enjoy both eating in the main dining room and still being able to enjoy their favorite activities. Most of the teen activities start around 8ish. We thought that early seating could make things easier. It did, but after many cruises the kids seem to want to go to the dining room less and less. This time we decided that my wife and I were going to go back to late seating and give the kids the option of either coming to dinner every night, or just eating at the buffet when they want to. They very quickly said they would rather not eat in the dining room. I have no problem with that. It also gives my wife and I a little time alone to enjoy our favorite part of the cruise...getting dressed up and going to the dining room for dinner. After many cruises, and children becoming teens, we have come to this !!!

So....my dilemma.

One of the reasons I accepted my teens resignation from the dining room was the fact that we enjoy meeting dinner mates. It stinks sitting at a table for 6 and having 4 empty seats. On this cruise I will see the Matre' D on embarkation day and tell him that although we are a party of 6, only 2 will be attending dinner. This makes some room for those who would like to switch dining times as well as making it possible to meet some other cruisers at dinner. This makes me feel a little better about removing the kids dining room wait staff tips from my account.

My initial plan is to keep a good portion of the dining tips on ( the same staff will have to work to feed them in the buffet ) and adding a little extra to their room stewards. I will decide as events unfold !

I will be adjusting my tips for the kids on this cruise. I am not sure yet how I will go about doing it.

The kids (4 of them ) will not be eating in the formal dining room. We, in the past, have had the late seating. Last cruise I decided to switch to early seating ( which I HATE ) so the kids could enjoy both eating in the main dining room and still being able to enjoy their favorite activities. Most of the teen activities start around 8ish. We thought that early seating could make things easier. It did, but after many cruises the kids seem to want to go to the dining room less and less. This time we decided that my wife and I were going to go back to late seating and give the kids the option of either coming to dinner every night, or just eating at the buffet when they want to. They very quickly said they would rather not eat in the dining room. I have no problem with that. It also gives my wife and I a little time alone to enjoy our favorite part of the cruise...getting dressed up and going to the dining room for dinner. After many cruises, and children becoming teens, we have come to this !!!

So....my dilemma.

One of the reasons I accepted my teens resignation from the dining room was the fact that we enjoy meeting dinner mates. It stinks sitting at a table for 6 and having 4 empty seats. On this cruise I will see the Matre' D on embarkation day and tell him that although we are a party of 6, only 2 will be attending dinner. This makes some room for those who would like to switch dining times as well as making it possible to meet some other cruisers at dinner. This makes me feel a little better about removing the kids dining room wait staff tips from my account.

My initial plan is to keep a good portion of the dining tips on ( the same staff will have to work to feed them in the buffet ) and adding a little extra to their room stewards. I will decide as events unfold !

When considering the how much you will tip, please remember that if your kids don't use the dining room, because of assigned seating your wait staff don't have the opportunity to make up the amount like waitstaff in a restaurant.

Several things here that need addressing.

First, to the OP, yes they will charge the same for the kids. The steward and waitstaff will most likely earn every penny of that and more.

To the question about having more people in one room. I would still tip the full amount for each person. More people in the same space makes more work for the steward.

As for the children not eating in the dining room, they have to eat somewhere and someone will most likely be doing something for them. If they don't tip the staff at the buffet, then the tips will be lost. I would leave the tips at the normal rate as I have seen dining room staff working the buffet during the day. Somewhere, somehow, someone is going to be earning those tips.

When considering the how much you will tip, please remember that if your kids don't use the dining room, because of assigned seating your wait staff don't have the opportunity to make up the amount like waitstaff in a restaurant.

<<On this cruise I will see the Matre' D on embarkation day and tell him that although we are a party of 6, only 2 will be attending dinner. This makes some room for those who would like to switch dining times as well as making it possible to meet some other cruisers at dinner.>>

This gives the maire d' a chance to fill those empty seats at my table with those requseting a different seating assignment on embarkation day.

<<On this cruise I will see the Matre' D on embarkation day and tell him that although we are a party of 6, only 2 will be attending dinner. This makes some room for those who would like to switch dining times as well as making it possible to meet some other cruisers at dinner.>>

This gives the maire d' a chance to fill those empty seats at my table with those requseting a different seating assignment on embarkation day.

That's a great idea. Someone will benefit from your thoughtfulness.

jakieemma-I hope by "adjusting my kids tips" on the cruise you mean increasing them. Remember, tips benefit the entire staff, whether in the dining room, buffet, etc. Whether your children are eating in the dining room or in the other areas of the ship, they will be served by staff who presumably will earn their fair tip. I hope you reconsider any possible thoughts of reducing them.

jakieemma-I hope by "adjusting my kids tips" on the cruise you mean increasing them. Remember, tips benefit the entire staff, whether in the dining room, buffet, etc. Whether your children are eating in the dining room or in the other areas of the ship, they will be served by staff who presumably will earn their fair tip. I hope you reconsider any possible thoughts of reducing them.

<<My initial plan is to keep a good portion of the dining tips on ( the same staff will have to work to feed them in the buffet ) and adding a little extra to their room stewards.>>

But, it does not provide a tip for the buffet staff for the entire week the kids eat there.

I've always had a problem with tipping being a subsidy for salary. But, that's the system in place, and I've decided it is the way I've got to play it.

We've never had a problem with service, especially considering the number of peole that the staff has to tend to over the week. My observation is that what you do with your tip is a personal thing, but be sure your conscience can live with it (assuming you have one :) ).

Mark T

Our teens were in the cabin next to ours on our 2004 cruise. We paid what we were supposed to for us and ADDED money to our steward for the girls' room. If you can imagine three teen girls in one cabin, you'd understand why. Stewards work just as hard, if not harder when kids are involved.

But, it does not provide a tip for the buffet staff for the entire week the kids eat there.

I've always had a problem with tipping being a subsidy for salary. But, that's the system in place, and I've decided it is the way I've got to play it.

We've never had a problem with service, especially considering the number of peole that the staff has to tend to over the week. My observation is that what you do with your tip is a personal thing, but be sure your conscience can live with it (assuming you have one :) ).

Mark T

Thank you for your blessing, we will all sleep a little easier :rolleyes:

They staff and arrange based on the guest count, even if they move someone to your table, another waiter, assistant waiter and bus person, as well as all the support staff and buffet staff will potentially be shorted by any reduction of tips as it will all be shared. Someone will get the shaft with a reduction, tips are personal, but I think you are creating a rationale for reducing them that is not valid.

thats a good idea.. but you should tell your travel agent to give them a heads up before time. This is something that can be done before you sail.

When I cruise as a family-- or any vacation for that matter.-- dinner was mandatory with me as a family- especially since I am paying. they can have their friends the rest of the time.

Archived