A few questions for my boss

silverwolf

My boss is driving to Miami with his wife and two year old son for a cruise on the Triumph. They will be driving from Atlanta, Georgia. Oh boy, I don't envy that trip. :D

Anyway, his wife is 28 weeks pregnant and after receiving the documents, he learned that cruising after 28 weeks pregnant is not allowed. I know that I wouldn't cruise at all if I was pregnant, but his wife does have a doctor's note. How strict is Carnival about the pregnancy policy?

Is Camp Carnival free? Because I have one cruise under my belt, my boss thinks I am an expert. :rolleyes: :D Hubby and I cruised last year solo, and since our children are grown, I don't have an answer for him.

I have never seen my boss so stressed, ever. He is a wonderful person and so is his wife. Any advice I can pass on to them will be very much appreciated.

Is Camp Carnival free?

There is no charge for a child to participate in Camp Carnival. For babysitting from 10 p.m. to (I think) 3 a.m. it's $6 per hour.

The Camp Carnival staff is not included in the automatic tipping as all passengers don't use the services. So, if they decide to use Camp Carnival it would be appropriate to tip the staff at the end of the cruise (they usually have a tip box available right there on the last night).

Sorry, but I can't help you out with your other question.

Jayne

Thanks Midimarv. I am sure my boss will be glad to tip the Camp Carnival employees. I don't think they will be using them very much, maybe a few hours in the evening.

I am worried his wife won't be allowed on the ship because of her pregnancy. This is a family reunion cruise and another family member made the arrangements.

Fortunately, they do have cruise insurance.

Yikes, I meant 26 weeks. I also wondered if they would even ask how far along the pregnancy was. Lisa did go to the doctor and he told her she should be fine to go on a cruise. Personally I would be too scared but she is only concerned with getting on the ship.

Hopefully all will go well. They really deserve this cruise.

Thanks for all the kind replies.

They definitely need to check with their cruiseline to see what the pregnancy "limits" are, but she should also get a letter from her doctor on his letterhead that says she is fine to cruise. If anybody questions anything, then she can show the letter. Kellie in Texas

Yes, they will deny you boarding if you are beyond their limit on pregnancy. They require the doctor's note to prove that you are not beyond the 26 week limit (or whatever their limit is). He really needs to call Carnival to make sure his wife will be allowed to board.

Something to consider, I had what turned out to be my only child at 28 weeks. Had I been at sea, with everything that happened, neither of us would have made it. There was NO warning whatsoever. Luckily, with a ton of great medical care and 50 days in intensive care, he made it...and so did I.

Carnival's pregnancy policy is (from the web site):

PREGNANCY POLICY

Please be advised that guests who are 27 weeks or more into their pregnancy at the time of the voyage will not be permitted to sail because of the risk of premature labor.

As others have said, unless they tell I don't know how Carnival would know the difference between 24 and 27 weeks. Of course, should anything happen, this would cover their behinds. Hopefully, their cruise insurance covers pregnancy (which could be listed as "pre-existing").

Camp Carnival is free as outlined before, but I agree that if they use it (and I highly recommend they do) that they remember to tip the staff (tips are pooled and split by all CC staff).

I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable cruising that far along (well, my wife actually), but if they go, wish them the best.

bill

Something to consider, I had what turned out to be my only child at 28 weeks. Had I been at sea, with everything that happened, neither of us would have made it. There was NO warning whatsoever. Luckily, with a ton of great medical care and 50 days in intensive care, he made it...and so did I.

I am very conservative when it comes to guidelines like this. I personally know 3 women who have delivered their children between 25-30weeks. there had been no indications that there were any problems with the pregnancies. Each of them had to have intensive care therapy. I am also conservative with amusement park height requirements. I believe that there are reasons for these guidelines. Why would you want to risk the life of your child (or yourself). They can always postpone the cruise to a later time. OR...go on a land-based all inclusive.

Our son was married on the Monarch of the Seas. We had about 30 people sail with us that weekend. One of the ladies was pregnant. We had no idea that they had a cutoff date of 27 weeks. Not even thinking, when she was asked at the counter how many weeks she was, she happily said "28 weeks" Well low and behold they would not let her board. Everyone else boarded except for her husband, her and me. (I wanted to make sure she would be taken care of) We spent the next two hours trying to get ahold of her Dr. Finally we did and he faxed over a release. They also had to sign a release just incase she did go into labor, that they would not be responsible.

Personally if I were his wife (and her docter says ok) I would say I was 24 or 25 weeks along if she were asked.;)

I dought that she will be able to cruise if she told the truth. I think the only reason they let our member on is because of the wedding. She was in the wedding party.

And tell her to bring along her doctors release.

doctors are more often than not a bit off so she would hopefully be fine. I had a sonogram several times to determine when I was due etc, Well my 2 weeks before thanksgiving baby turned out to be a Dec baby instead. I say go for it

So here's my $0.02.....I am a high risk obstetrical nurse. ****Wouldn't do it.****Flat out.

Even on the rare chance that you do have any pregnancy related problem, do you really want to be on a ship in the middle of the sea? As far as doctors telling pregnant women they will be "fine" going out of town.....ughhhhh! Reality is that "things" happen. For example did you know that one of the most common reasons for preterm labor is DEHYDRATION. Being pregnant sure makes many women a bit nauseated then add the rocking of the ship and being seasick could certainly make a pregnant women dehydrated very quickly and easily.

There are many pregnant women who are treated in a hospital while "out of town". It is not the optimal situation. At times it is difficult (if not impossible) to get your records faxed to the "out of town" hospital. Then you have the "quality of care" issue. Are the staff at the "out of town" hospital experts? Are you in a place that can provide the level of care you and your baby would need? The care providers/docs I work with tell women "no travel beyond the distance you can get back here in a timely fashion"...gotta love that timely fashion thing huh?

I work with high risk patients every day. The care required for high risk (which preterm 28 weeks would certainly be) can not be obtained at just "any" hospital. A doctor is a doctor ...is a doctor ...doesn't cut it when it means possible loss of a pregnancy because "they" didn't know how to help or a lack of the specialized equipment availble to help.

Ask yourself this question.....

If something happened, can I live with the knowledge that it may have had a different outcome if I had not taken this "vacation"?

I see families every day living with the "guilt" of "what did I do wrong?? How did this happen? Why me?" And that is from people who did everything right!

IMHO (and my professional opinion), I would NEVER chance it!

Jan

I personally wouldn't cruise at any stage of pregnancy but my boss and his wife really want to go.

She did go to her doctor and did get a letter stating that she is healthy and her pregnancy is progressing well. The letter did not mention how far along she is.

I will tell her to drink plenty of water and to get a lot of rest.

They so deserve this cruise and I want them to enjoy it.

Thanks again for all the advice. You guys are the best.

Isnt this discrimination based on a medical condition?

Assuming of course, pregnancy is a medical condition?

Or is it Gender biased against women? One more way people try to control a woman's body.

Any lawyers out there?

Isnt this discrimination based on a medical condition?

Assuming of course, pregnancy is a medical condition?

Or is it Gender biased against women? One more way people try to control a woman's body.

Any lawyers out there?

Not discrimination. It is a health and safety issue based on the fact that they do not have the medical facilities to care for a premature baby or a mother if something goes wrong with the pregnancy.

I've given birth at 24 weeks, 29 weeks and 33 weeks. I'd never chance it. To answer your question they see the bump and they ask for the doctors note with how far along you are and a due date. They are SUPER strict about it. I've had to cancel a couple cruises because of pregnancy. Glad I did now. Hindsight's a beautiful thing.

100% Carnival and every other line will deny boarding without this letter.

If she goes into labor early they do not have the facilities to deal with it onboard. Airlines also restrict who flies late in pregnancy.

You can always worry and you can sit home and you can do EVERYTHING they tell you to do and BAMM you are full-term and your baby still needs ICU - been there done that. After that experience, I figure that not everyone knows everything and I am willing to take a couple more risks to make myself happy - some may look at it and say "shoot you should be MORE careful," not me...

Most likely her cruise insurance would not cover her having to cancel due to her normal pregnancy but only complications of - she has high blood pressure - the doc says you can't go. The cruise line is covering their behinds - if she feels up to it - why not go and relax, but make sure she has the letter from the doc in tow and that she is VERY proud that she is 26 weeks along (you know due dates are really plus or minus a couple of weeks).

Wow, I cannot believe the number of people that are encouraging this woman to have her doctor lie on a medical form so she can take a cruise. That's malpractice and unconsionable in my opinion. The cruise lines all have this rule, every single one of them. They are not doing it to discriminate or cause a problem for the passengers. Look at it this way, the doctor sends a note saying the woman is 26 weeks along knowing full well she's 28 weeks. There is a problem in a small country, she's rushed to the hospital, but they don't have a level four NICU on hand and the baby dies. You don't think preemies die? Mine did. Won't happen to most people, but is a vacation really worth that chance? How would they feel the rest of their lives? What would happen to the marriage? Almost 80% of marriages fail after the death of a child. *I* was and am lucky. Am I a doom sayer cause of what happened to me? No way. If you're 26 weeks in or under go and enjoy your cruise.

Dehydration can play a HUGE part in pre-term labor, it's already been stated in this thread. What if there's a breakout of Norovirus on the ship? Dehydration is one of the complications. Yes, pregnancy is supposed to be natural and normal and I'm one of those quacks who would opt for home birth in a normal pregnancy. I hate the thought of the hospital for pregnancy, but the truth is being close to a hospital saved the lives of my two living birth children. Probably nothing would go wrong with this woman, but if it did. Altering medical records would be criminal. Not to mention that insurance companies would have access to those records if something went wrong. Is any insurance company going to pay the bill if she's out of the country against the policy of the cruise line? You know what my bills for my two preterm labors and babies cost? The final bill was over $400,000.00 dollars. Thank goodness insurance paid for all, but ten percent.

Wow, I cannot believe the number of people that are encouraging this woman to have her doctor lie on a medical form so she can take a cruise. That's malpractice and unconsionable in my opinion. The cruise lines all have this rule, every single one of them. They are not doing it to discriminate or cause a problem for the passengers. Look at it this way, the doctor sends a note saying the woman is 26 weeks along knowing full well she's 28 weeks. There is a problem in a small country, she's rushed to the hospital, but they don't have a level four NICU on hand and the baby dies. You don't think preemies die? Mine did. Won't happen to most people, but is a vacation really worth that chance? How would they feel the rest of their lives? What would happen to the marriage? Almost 80% of marriages fail after the death of a child. *I* was and am lucky. Am I a doom sayer cause of what happened to me? No way. If you're 26 weeks in or under go and enjoy your cruise.

Dehydration can play a HUGE part in pre-term labor, it's already been stated in this thread. What if there's a breakout of Norovirus on the ship? Dehydration is one of the complications. Yes, pregnancy is supposed to be natural and normal and I'm one of those quacks who would opt for home birth in a normal pregnancy. I hate the thought of the hospital for pregnancy, but the truth is being close to a hospital saved the lives of my two living birth children. Probably nothing would go wrong with this woman, but if it did. Altering medical records would be criminal. Not to mention that insurance companies would have access to those records if something went wrong. Is any insurance company going to pay the bill if she's out of the country against the policy of the cruise line? You know what my bills for my two preterm labors and babies cost? The final bill was over $400,000.00 dollars. Thank goodness insurance paid for all, but ten percent.

Wow talk about over exaggeration. I don't think people here are asking their doctors to lie. On the form that one of our members received from her doctor did not even state how far along she was. Just note stating her health at the time.;)

Oh and by the way, her medical insurance did cover her. She checked before leaving.

rivrgirl - a number of posters have encouraged the prospective parents to lie.

if the parents don't care enough about the well-being of their unborn child, why are they even having it?

imagine how it would effect the crew and possibly the other 2000+ passengers, if something should go wrong. the news would get out.

yes, they may deserve the cruise but not right now.

Wow talk about over exaggeration. I don't think people here are asking their doctors to lie. On the form that one of our members received from her doctor did not even state how far along she was. Just note stating her health at the time.;)

Oh and by the way, her medical insurance did cover her. She checked before leaving.

Okay, here's the OFFICIAL Carnival website information. Which clearly states that 27 weeks is the cutoff, not 26, by the way. Just thoguht I'd clear that up. EIther way at 28 weeks along the woman is too far into her pregnancy to cruise.

PREGNANCY POLICY

Please be advised that guests who are 27 weeks or more into their pregnancy at the time of the voyage will not be permitted to sail because of the risk of premature labor.

Looks clear to me. My personal experience is that they WILL ask for a note, former TA, from the doctor.

Archived