Northbound to Alaska, Port Side or Starboard?

captainmayi

You definitely want a starboard side for a northbound cruise. Balconies are very nice as well. It's great having breakfast on the balcony while watching the scenery and eagles go by

Just back from the Summit 7/1 NB from Vancouver to Alaska. Had an aft corner cabin - Starboard side. Views were great since I got both Starboard and then Port off the back of the boat. Do not be so concerned if you can not switch - there are amazing islands, mountains and harbors off the Port side of the boat. Either side - you will get tremendous views.

I too asked the same thing last year when I booked my upcoming cruise on the Sapphire and was told starboard for sure on a NB. I even had read that the Starboard on the NB was better because you had the morning sunshine to keep you warm on the balcony.

I booked my cruise and got cabin D721 and all the way up to final payment the first of May it was still D721. Last week I got our cruise documents and it showed D308 an upgrade but to the other side. I jumped on here posted my story and got a few replies saying not to worry that port was just as good. I called my TA and told them that I would prefer the starboard side but did like the central location of my upgrade and would like to see if they would have anything in the same area on the other side. Well today I get home and have an email from TA saying how pleased they are to let me know they have got a cabin for me on starboard and it's D725. I wrote them back and told them that I would prefer to have stayed in the D308 and only be moved to starboard in a equal or greater category and I had originally told them to ask me first before making the change.

The reason I was moved in the first place is that they pulled D721 from inventory for repair.

I talked to Princess directly and they had a note in my file to only upgrade if on starboard side so I do not know why I was moved to D308 on port to begin with but after reading a few post on here I figured the location would out weigh the fact that it was not on the starboard side and had they given me the choice first before moving us to D725 I would have kept the port side cabin.

No telling where we will end up now but either way I think we will have a great time.

My husband and I are booked on Carnival Spirit for next August. Currently we have a balcony cabin on the port side and are wondering if we should switch to starboard side?

We were on starboard side NB but there is beautiful scenery on the port side as well. For the inside passage there is land on both sides most of the time and coming down the Lynn Canal from Skagway the port side sees what the starboard side saw on the way up. We didn't see any wildlife on the shore, although we saw black and white dolphins from the buffet in the morning on the port side and whale from the starboard balcony. I found we didn't sit on the balcony for long period of time while the ship was moving because it was just too cold and windy. We spent more time on the fantail deck where we could see both side and be protected from the wind. This was on the Carnival Spirit.

This debate comes up frequently.

BUT, IF YOU are planning on viewing Glacier Bay or College Fjords from your balcony- and NOT planning on going out on deck, you will want a port side cabin. The starboard in these two areas have NO glacier views until the departure. All the "stops" and narrative is on the way in. Yes you will get the "ship turns" posts, but this is only a very small fraction of the time for viewing. So determine prior what your plans are and if the glaciers are of interest to you. Otherwise, once you get Inside Passage, viewing is about equal on both sides. Ships NO LONGER do coastal sailing from Whittier/Seward, they make a straight shot across the Gulf, prior sailings especially when they went to Valdez had way more scenic sailing on this portion, no longer. It's also a significant reason I recommend round trips if not investing time for interior travel.

Is this the best side of the ship to see wildlife?

Do not count on any wildlife viewing from your ship. And certainly not in any way or form of the cruise brochures. If wildlife is a priority, tours are necessary. If you are willing to invest the time, FRONT viewing is where you want to be so to have sightings from ahead you can track as you pass- ships do not stop.

This debate comes up frequently.

BUT, IF YOU are planning on viewing Glacier Bay or College Fjords from your balcony- and NOT planning on going out on deck, you will want a port side cabin. The starboard in these two areas have NO glacier views until the departure. All the "stops" and narrative is on the way in. Yes you will get the "ship turns" posts, but this is only a very small fraction of the time for viewing. So determine prior what your plans are and if the glaciers are of interest to you. Otherwise, once you get Inside Passage, viewing is about equal on both sides. Ships NO LONGER do coastal sailing from Whittier/Seward, they make a straight shot across the Gulf, prior sailings especially when they went to Valdez had way more scenic sailing on this portion, no longer. It's also a significant reason I recommend round trips if not investing time for interior travel.

BQ - for Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier...does it matter which side?

BQ - for Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier...does it matter which side?[/QUOT

Be out front. Again, if you park yourself in your cabin, waiting for the ship to "turn" you won't even get 5 % of the views that the front people saw.

Guest garden4cook

Just got home last night from a Northbound Princess cruise to Alaska, starting in Vancouver, ending in Whittier. We too thought there would be more to see off the Starboard side and booked a balcony room from that side. However, we learned the following...

Would have been better off with a port side balcony - to have the evening sunsets to enjoy with a glass of wine every evening.

Both Glacier Bay and College Fjord have it ALL happening on the PORT side - and all the commentary happens while ship cruises into these sections.

There are many island on the port side as well.

By the way...the first day of cruising is spent "as sea" (for a northbound cruise) - and therefore you cannot see anything from either side.

If we were to cruise to Alaska again - it would be on the Port side.

Just got home last night from a Northbound Princess cruise to Alaska, starting in Vancouver, ending in Whittier. We too thought there would be more to see off the Starboard side and booked a balcony room from that side. However, we learned the following...

Would have been better off with a port side balcony - to have the evening sunsets to enjoy with a glass of wine every evening.

Both Glacier Bay and College Fjord have it ALL happening on the PORT side - and all the commentary happens while ship cruises into these sections.

There are many island on the port side as well.

By the way...the first day of cruising is spent "as sea" (for a northbound cruise) - and therefore you cannot see anything from either side.

If we were to cruise to Alaska again - it would be on the Port side.

Does the setting sun make it harder to get to sleep if your balcony is on the port side on a northbound? Having never been there, I imagine glaciers on both sides of the ship as you enter College Fjord...no?

I'm about ready to scrap the balcony and go back to our inside cabin!

You definitely want a starboard side for a northbound cruise. Balconies are very nice as well. It's great having breakfast on the balcony while watching the scenery and eagles go by

I agree 100%. We went in May and viewed whales while having our breakfast on the balcony. If a balcony is an option that is the way to go, you will not regret it. Also don't forget a pair of binoculars.

Missygirl:)

Budget Queen. You seem to have a lot of information. Could you tell me - do you think a starboard room southbound from Whittier is better for viewing college fjord??? Right now we have the port wrap-around.

Budget Queen. You seem to have a lot of information. Could you tell me - do you think a starboard room southbound from Whittier is better for viewing college fjord??? Right now we have the port wrap-around.

College Fjords is also most all views on the port side.

We went in May and viewed whales while having our breakfast on the balcony. .

Missygirl:)

That's quite a way to start a day. But I agree with BQ, if wildlife viewing is a priority an excursion is best.

-Monte

Guest garden4cook
Does the setting sun make it harder to get to sleep if your balcony is on the port side on a northbound? Having never been there, I imagine glaciers on both sides of the ship as you enter College Fjord...no?

I'm about ready to scrap the balcony and go back to our inside cabin!

In regards to the sun setting and getting sleep - ha!!! the sun never set while we were in Alaska in latge June/early July. Just draw the dark curtains and that will take care of the problem.

In College Fjord, I remember only port side glaciers upon entering. We stayed on our Starboard side balcony during College Fjord - and heard the naturalist commentary...however, things did not make sense to us upon leaving CF, as she had already spoke about what we were finally seeing on our way out and waht she was talking about did not make sense to us. get the Port side balcony - makes sense all the way around!!!

• 5 months later...

Normally there will be a very good chance of spotting whales south of Juneau. Last time, after we sailed out Tracy Arm and going south for 30 nautical miles, we encountered no less than 80 humpback whales. Some of them are so as close as 20 feet from the ship. Bring raincoat or waterproof jacket/pants/hats since you can get best view on the outside deck. Also, don't forget to bring a nice pair of waterproof binoculars with minimal 10x to look at those giants in details..

had a port side balcony on a roundtrip out of seattle. had great views the moment we hit the "passage". only saw some small whales once, and i was LOOKING. the only way you are going to see wildlife will be with binoculars..and strong ones at that. the ship is moving and the views are at some distance. with the naked eye..we saw some sea otter outside of glacier bay..a couple of bald eagles..and a couple of the black and white dolphins. to see the wildlife plan on excursions.

entering glacier bay, the ship hugs the west side (port)..you see the glacier coming up and when the ship stops..the port gets the most time. when the ship turns to leave the inlet. it barely pauses to allow the starboard side some viewing. all the ships have a good lounge, on the NCL star they opened to spinnaker to NON SMOKING viewing. it was full, as was the upper decks.

we were there late in the season, didn't have the problem of the "midnight" sun, but the drapes were think enough to block that. we enjoy mornings on the balcony, hot chocolate after excursions, nights with the door open to listen to the sounds of the ship/cruising.

• 3 months later...

Archived