Super Bowl '07

travelgal

Booked a cruise months ago. Didn't realize we left Ft. Lauderdale during Super Bowl weekend! yikes...airfare is crazy or sold out - already (6mos out)! Hotels are full. Guess we'll cross our fingers for good weather etc...and fly down the day the ship leaves port. Anyone else having this problem?

Everyone is going to have this problem, including the cruiselines that book the hotels for the pax as part of the cruise package.

Many will end up staying in Orlando or Ft. Meyers the night before and renting a car for the 3 hour drive to the port. This may be the only option as many hotels from Key West to Ft Pierce are already sold out. Those that have rooms available are requiring multiple day minimum stays, charging special event rates that are usually double the "rack" rate.

Keep searching, you may get lucky. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I did the same thing. We are on the Freedom leaving out of Miami on Feb. 4th. We are going to have to take a redeye flight from Los Angeles, because I can't find any hotels other than in Orlando or Fort Meyers. We don't want to have to drive in on Superbowl Sunday.

I haven't noticed that the flight prices are high though.

We're booked on the Radiance out of Ft Lauderdale that weekend. We found a hotel room in Delray Beach (about 40 miles from FLL), booked a rental car and airfare back in March. It was difficult then and I can only imagine what it is like now. Some of the smaller motels and inns may still have availability, so keep trying. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, we booked a 7 day cruise out of Miami, 3 cabins for family with 6 adults and 2 children. Had to fly out of chicago not Milwaukee to fly down same day and leave some time for challanges. Didn't even think about what weekend it was when booking.

Yes, we are having the same issues. Airfare is sky high and I have searched for weeks for a room under $200.00 and its impossible. I am so worried to fly in that morning, especially since I'll have a connection. More room for problems. We are leaving on the liberty on 2/3. I don't don't if I should cancel cruise or risk it!

If it were me, in February, I'd fly in the day before and then either stay overnite in the airport sleeping in a chair, if the airport allows that, or else look at renting a car and driving over to the ft myers area and staying overnite and then driving back the next morning EARLY if you have a sunday departiure. No way would I chance a same day flight from any part of the country that is subject to snow.

We actually ran into the same problem with availability but not in conjunction w/ a cruise. We are going over to Eleuthera in the Bahamas for a week and our connection going home required that we fly into Ft lauderdale in the afternoon and then finish the trip the next morning (you guessed it... super bowl sunday)

After much searching we were finally able to locate a room in West Palm Beach about 35 miles north of Lauderdale at a Hampton Inn and are paying $250 a nite. Given that LaQuinta in Ft Lauderdale wanted $315 I guess we did ok. *L*

But you're right.. will do a better job of looking into upcoming activities in an area before doing future bookings.

I was so excited about our cruise, after a summer of caring for a sick dad who passed away ,finally planned a cruise, finally got everything planned including frequent flyer seats ahhhh....life is good, week later laying in bed said oh shoot we are going to be gone for super bowl then oh H@ll the superbowl is in MIAMI !!!!!!

Could find a room, yeah 1600.00 for 12 hours or 1 hour away for 450.00

Luckily got it all changed to Mariner from Port C, with a direct non stop flight and Disney annual pass hotel rates.

Life is good again :cool:

Archived