Watch Your Children At All Times

TXRed

So often we see children this age (12) and younger all over the ship without parental supervision. Most times if anyone mentions this fact they are flamed and we hear...oh not MY children...yadda, yadda, yadda......read on.

I am still amazed that parents allow their children free run of the ship. Now I will do some ducking and hiding for a while. ;-(

You probably have heard of the arrest of Rod Bernsen for allegedly molesting two boys on board a Princess ship which docked in Long Beach Saturday. Here is a brief look at the story. A question arose about jurisdiction for crimes committed in international waters. The link below addresses some aspects of the jurisdiction question and how and when the FBI might become involved.

Roderick 'Rod' Bernsen, a retired LAPD officer, is suspected of molesting two boys in a sauna.

By Joe Mozingo

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Roderick "Rod" Bernsen, a former Los Angeles police sergeant who became a well-known reporter on KTTV's Fox 11 television news for more than a decade, was arrested Saturday in Long Beach after returning from a cruise, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said Monday.

Bernsen was being held without bail at Long Beach City Jail for "a crime that occurred aboard a cruise ship," Eimiller said. She would not disclose the nature of the alleged crime.

But law enforcement sources with knowledge of the arrest said Bernsen, 58, was suspected of molesting two 12-year-old boys in the ship's sauna. One or more of the boys' parents confronted Bernsen and notified a ship investigator, according to the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the case.

So often we see children this age (12) and younger all over the ship without parental supervision. Most times if anyone mentions this fact they are flamed and we hear...oh not MY children...yadda, yadda, yadda......read on.

Well the fact is, you're right. Who hasn't experiences kids running up and down the stairs, playing with the elevators. Those aren't such a big deal. But, the unsupervised kids around the pool - or even worse the kids whose parents are right there but not doing anything about it - they are the ones we all want to strangle.

There, now they can flame me;)

I am still amazed that parents allow their children free run of the ship. Now I will do some ducking and hiding for a while. ;-(

You probably have heard of the arrest of Rod Bernsen for allegedly molesting two boys on board a Princess ship which docked in Long Beach Saturday. Here is a brief look at the story. A question arose about jurisdiction for crimes committed in international waters. The link below addresses some aspects of the jurisdiction question and how and when the FBI might become involved.

Roderick 'Rod' Bernsen, a retired LAPD officer, is suspected of molesting two boys in a sauna.

By Joe Mozingo

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Roderick "Rod" Bernsen, a former Los Angeles police sergeant who became a well-known reporter on KTTV's Fox 11 television news for more than a decade, was arrested Saturday in Long Beach after returning from a cruise, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said Monday.

Bernsen was being held without bail at Long Beach City Jail for "a crime that occurred aboard a cruise ship," Eimiller said. She would not disclose the nature of the alleged crime.

But law enforcement sources with knowledge of the arrest said Bernsen, 58, was suspected of molesting two 12-year-old boys in the ship's sauna. One or more of the boys' parents confronted Bernsen and notified a ship investigator, according to the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the case.

I just wanted to clear up the matter of Rod not being released. This morning on the news it said "He was released at $750,000 bail amount". And while we are on the subject of kids loose on the ship at the age of those two boys I would never let them out of my sight ! I have know Idea what the parents are thinking letting the kids get into the water with another adult they do not even know !

Thanks,

Cali

Voyager W. Caribbean 12/16/06 "Our First AFT 1688"

Voyager E. Caribbean 11/05

S.S. Azure Seas Baja 11/90

I had heard and read they were in the sauna. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference, assault is assault no matter where it takes place.

It just doesn't compute in my brain to harm children, or any other human being. I'll never understand why people think they can get away with it, or why it is such a great idea :rolleyes: . Stupid, stupid, stupid. I won't call it sick because that gives them an excuse for their behavior, like they couldn't help it. Stupid, evil and inexcusable.

I'd just as soon let my kids loose on a cruise ship as I would on a dark city street or a hotel. Why parents think they are safe is beyond me. Perhaps an unfortunate incident like this may start to open some eyes.

Let's hope the guy stays in jail and suffers the public humiliation he deserves. I do feel empathy for his family and friends, though.

Is it an assumption that these kids were running wild? The point is that a pedophile was on board and its not necessarily the parents fault--anymore than if a rapist is on board and a lady walks alone to her room. No one is always safe and there are more adult crimes on ships than kid crimes.

It said the kids parents confronted him and notified the ships saftey officer. Who knows the exact circumstances of this case? Who are we to assume they were running wild? They could have been in the sauna with their father and then he went to the bathroom, was adjusting the temp etc when this perv touched his boys. That said they also could have been in there alone (DUMB PARENTS). We often let our 2 11 yr old daughters go to the promanade or pool or gameroom alone (they stick together) and meet them there 15-20 minuets later. They know never to go on any room floors or places where they might be alone with no one from the ship personel in sight. We are from a big city and they are pretty street smart and although we usually keep them in sight we do not regret giving them some freedom.

While I agree that if this man did this then he is guilty but what were two boys that age doing in the sauna without adult supervision? Also I thought that there is an age limit in the saunas and it is not 12.

I cannot tell you how many times when I am in the supermarket or out in public how many parents just let their little ones run around without the adult in site. That is how kids are kidnapped. I am always amazed that they let the kids out of their eye site. It only takes a moment for something to happen.

TXRed you will NOT be seeing my 2 DDs (ages 10 and 18) running around the ship. I'd rather be safe and paronoid than sorry. Even my older daughter has to check in with me every few hours.
Ditto that. A cruise is just a very small city on a ship. I don't let my kids run around unsupervised on land so why would I do it at sea.

Things can happen so fast and they would be helpless in the event someone meant them harm or an accident happened to them with no parent or guardian there to help them.

I too was amazed at the number of young children permitted to wander around the ship apparetly without supervision. I've seen it on every cruise we have been on. I can only imagine some people have a false sense of security while on vacation, but in reality bad people vacation with the rest of society and we, as parents, need to be just as proactive on vacation as we are at home.

It is disturbing to find that two young boys were molested by a former police officer. As the wife of a police officer I know he is viewed and held accountable to a much higher standard while both on and off duty. Police officers are given the responsibility to protect society and are usually trusted by the public without question. Unfortunately, I know that there are bad seeds in every profession and when those trusted to protect actually harm it results in headlines such as these.

There is a fine balance between smothering a child and allowing them room to grow. I am at that place with my oldest son and every time he ventures a little more I worry. As we are cruising in about a month I know I will be asked by him if he can "meet up with us" or "just be in the game room", such innocent questions to him, yet such a heavy decision for me?????? As I tell him, I trust my child- I just can't trust everybody he comes into contact with.

Why is it when a tragedy happens the victoms are accountable? if a women walks alone to her cabin and is raped, is she at fault? We don't know why the boys were in the sauna--maybe allured there by the cop?, maybe not? What does kids running in a supermarket have to do with it? There are many drunk adults on a ship and many other crimes.

Stick to the facts, don't make assumptions! These parents may be terrible and if so, then when you have the facts, flame away. But if they did everything right, and their kids were lured into the sauna by some pedophile, then feel bad for them. Who are we to automatically assume the worst??

histrybuf--still in hospital, we have stumped all docs-thats why i am online,can't sleep ;-)

Why is it when a tragedy happens the victoms are accountable? if a women walks alone to her cabin and is raped, is she at fault? We don't know why the boys were in the sauna--maybe allured there by the cop?, maybe not? What does kids running in a supermarket have to do with it? There are many drunk adults on a ship and many other crimes.

Stick to the facts, don't make assumptions! These parents may be terrible and if so, then when you have the facts, flame away. But if they did everything right, and their kids were lured into the sauna by some pedophile, then feel bad for them. Who are we to automatically assume the worst??

histrybuf--still in hospital, we have stumped all docs-thats why i am online,can't sleep ;-)

Someone needs to calm down. No one is pointing the finger at anyone. I made a statement about kids not being watched by their parents and I stand by that. If this bothers you then I'm sorry but I stand by what I say. No we don't have all facts on this particular story but we are not just talking about this story. We are talking about kids being allowed to roam around without adult supervision period.:rolleyes:

Someone needs to calm down. No one is pointing the finger at anyone. I made a statement about kids not being watched by their parents and I stand by that. If this bothers you then I'm sorry but I stand by what I say. No we don't have all facts on this particular story but we are not just talking about this story. We are talking about kids being allowed to roam around without adult supervision period.:rolleyes:

Had the children been with the parents or with the childrens SUPERVICED group this type of thing would probably NOT have happened. Any yes, you are correct........why parents think their children are safe TO ROAM around unsupervised by a TRUSTED adult it beyond my comprehension.....I used to think that people that complained about kids being here or there were just being old foggies....now...I am one of those old foggies!! If I see a child in any area they are not supposed to be in, I call security, if children are running around being a REAL nusiance, I call security, if I see a child in a dangerous situation, I call security......I would rather take the chance of a parent being upset than a possible alternative.

TXRed you will NOT be seeing my 2 DDs (ages 10 and 18) running around the ship. I'd rather be safe and paronoid than sorry. Even my older daughter has to check in with me every few hours.

barbaragrace...I wish all parents were like you...for their children's sake.

Is it an assumption that these kids were running wild? The point is that a pedophile was on board and its not necessarily the parents fault--anymore than if a rapist is on board and a lady walks alone to her room. No one is always safe and there are more adult crimes on ships than kid crimes.

Tra4.....I don't believe anyone was assuming these children were running wild.............they were UNSUPERVISED at a tender age and were victims of a pedophile...and yes they are on cruise ships too! Please let's not make this about children being wild....this is about children being assaulted..and it probably wouldn't have happened had these children been SUPERVISED...where were the darn parents!!!

12 year old children are legally old enough to go out and babysit other people's young children so why would their parents have to be with them 24 hrs per day?
Hey cyndyt,

Here in our state the legal age is 13 to babysit. I think it's one thing to babysit in the safety of one's home or a neighbor's home. It's another to let them walk around a cruise ship by themselves.

I have a 12 soon to be 13 yo and I would not let her do this. I just don't trust strangers (or even her judgement at this age) that much. These ships are huge and may have too many opportunities for some deviant to seize the moment for my comfort.

But I know folks will do it, so at least give them a walkie talkie or some means to communicate should the need or desire arises.

my .2

Archived