Civitavecchia to Rome

Hi

I just posted a review of my cruise and I did almost all the ports on my own. You take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome - the station is about 5 mins walk from the port -- so so so easy. You buy a BIRG pass for 9 Euro per person in Civitavecchia - this covers your train ride to and from Rome and all the metro and bus you want to use for the day - a sweet deal - do it on your own and save money - all you need is a map and a plan. Don't plan on seeing everything - do your homework ahead of time, plan what you want to see and go from there. Don't waste your money for a private driver in Rome - not worth it - save it for your Naples port and see the Amalfi Coast - it's out of this world. See my post - I just posted under the Europe board of my review of my cruise.

I agree that the train is a good way to get into Rome - but having a plan (e.g. knowing which subways to take and having reservations at the Vatican) will help make the most of your day there.

Here's an excellent website with details on taking the train from Civitavecchia to Rome. http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome2.htm

Hi there

My husband and I were on Voyager in July and we used the train into Rome and it was a great deal for 9 Euro's. I would really recommened you use the train. There was also an option to get the bus into Rome from the port for 20 Euro's.

We are back in Rome again in May and we will use the train again.

If we use the train? How do we get to the airport hilton to drop off are bags and then go back to town? We are at the hotel 2nights post cruise.Can we store are bags at the train station and then go to the hotel later that night? thanks

We just got back yesterday and we used private trans. Costs us E 150 to take us and another couple from 2 hotels to dock. Had a snag coming back because other party tried to arrange pickup on internet and driver didn't show up. We used a cab for E 200 to drop off at individual hotels in Rome--that took some bargaining!! If you can schlepp it, that is a different thing. My wife has problems with her ankles as did a lady in the other two-some. The p/p costs was E90 door to door for the trip and no heart attack. I understand there are many steps at the Civitavecchia train station and no baggage people to help. No way could we handle our 4 suitcases and 2 carry-ons down or up stairs!!

I also read that buses don't allow luggage so you will have to get a taxi from your hotel to train station. That could add E 20 (depending where you are hoteling) to your train cost. Carnival wanted $75 pp to drop off at a central area in Rome. From there a cab would also be required to get to hotel. Hope this helps.

John L

I understand there are many steps at the Civitavecchia train station and no baggage people to help.

When we took the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and back, we didn't have to use stairs ... perhaps we got lucky, but all we had to do was walk outside the station and onto the train, and the same in return.

We've taken the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and reverse several times. Dollysmom, we welcome you to CruiseCritic. Are you planning to use this option while in port in Rome, or will you be traveling from Rome to Civitavecchia to board your ship with luggage? If you have luggage, you may have issues with luggage in the train station as noted, and also, the walk is longer than 5 minutes, and there is a hill. So if you can give more information about your plans, we will be in a better position to help you.

Donna

prearrange your tranfers to and from the port. I just did it and we had a lovely modern full sized bus to take us to the ship form and hotel in Rome and then after the cruise to take us to the airport for 20E each. And our driver was right on time!

If you have luggage, you may have issues with luggage in the train station as noted, and also, the walk is longer than 5 minutes, and there is a hill.

The walk between the train station in Civitavecchia and the port entrance is probably 10 minutes without luggage, but no hills.

The walk between the train station in Civitavecchia and the port entrance is probably 10 minutes without luggage, but no hills.
Sorry--this information is just wrong. As noted above, we've spent some time in that port, so I wonder how there could be a hill in one area and not in another???? The train station is uphill from the cruise ships, which is not an issue if walking to the station to take the train to Rome for the day but may be an issue with luggage.

Donna

• 1 month later...

Hi-one of you said you arranged for private transportation from the ship to your hotel-a bus for 20 euros. That sounds great to me. I am a widow traveling with a 11 and 13 year old and I think that might be a better solution than using the train and from there dragging kids and luggage on the train and then trying to find our apartmnet near the Spanish Steps.

How did you find that transportation? 20 euros a piece is much better than the cab or private driver rate.

Sorry--this information is just wrong. As noted above, we've spent some time in that port, so I wonder how there could be a hill in one area and not in another???? The train station is uphill from the cruise ships, which is not an issue if walking to the station to take the train to Rome for the day but may be an issue with luggage.

Donna

I've done it as well. I think to be truthful that there is a slight gradient towards the station, but it's not what you would call a 'hill'. A gentle slope, perhaps, but (IIRC) barely that. If I really had to choose between 'hilly' and 'flat' I'd probably say 'flat'.

Hill? What hill? We just did this walk from the station to the port entrance (where we caught the free bus shuttle to the ship) in November and it was completely flat!! With suitcases, we've have noticed even a incline, I'm sure!

9 Euros for the day for the train and city transportation is good deal. I'm sure however that that is for the local train from Civitavecchia to-and from-Rome and the subways can be time comsuming and a little confusing. (There is an express train between C and R but fewer of them and it might not be advantageous time-wise to wait for an express!)

Having had one day there ourselves, I will tell you what I would do had I to do it over again! From Termini station I'd opt for one of the double decker tour buses which stop right there. They run every 20 minutes or so and stop at - I think - 9 major sites. It's a day pass (you can read about it at viator.com) and you can stay on it and listen via headphones about what you're seeing or get off-and-on whenever you want to look around at a particuliar site.

I think by doing this you'll get the most out of your day. We spent half a day getting to and from Termini to the Colosseum via subway. It was only 2 or 3 stops but it was all a little confusing and I have an Italian speaking husband and rode subways in NYC for more years than I care to remember!

Good luck and have fun!

I found my Rome Termini to Civitavecchia schedule so you can kind of see how often, in general, and how long it takes. These are week day am times...

9:08 (1:07)

9:38 (1:16)

9:46 (0:46) Express

10:08 (1:07)

10:38 (1:16)

You can tell how often they run and how long it takes. I don't think I'd pass up a local to wait for an express.

Hill? What hill? We just did this walk from the station to the port entrance (where we caught the free bus shuttle to the ship) in November and it was completely flat!! With suitcases, we've have noticed even a incline, I'm sure!
Yes, and I'm not being stubborn about this but insist on making this distinction because this is a port of embarkation for many passengers. (We've been on 14 European cruises and see misinformation posted all the time on the boards by board members who mean well, but I think this issue is important enough to contradict misinformation that has been posted.) As previously noted, I have been in and out of this port several times, and there is a hill that might be an issue for those pulling luggage. I have watched passengers attempt to do this and seen many struggling. Whether or not it is an issue depends on the weight of the luggage and the physical fitness of the person pulling the luggage, and I suppose it depends on exactly where your ship is docked at this large port. We chose to take a taxi to the train station with another couple from our ship because I knew of the issue, and it was worth taking the ride to us. We were charged an outrageous sum (I think it was 15 Euros) to travel a short distance because the taxi drivers are there to try to take passengers all the way into Rome and not to the train station. All the other passengers will need to decide what works best for them but there IS a hill or incline or whatever you choose to call it.

Happy travels to all,

Donna

bubbachief, I don't know. Perhaps if you just start the booking process, it will tell you a little bit more. If you do have to book in advance, surely they will tell you where the stops are, particularly the one at Termini station which I'm sure is their main stop/finish point for a lot of folks.

We booked the day tour to Pompeii/Naples in advance and enjoyed it very much. They said they would pick us up at our hotel at 6:45am and they did just that. We booked thru viator and were picked up by greenlinetours so I don't know if they just work together on some tours or are one-and-the-same. If you go greenlinetours site they show a similar on/off day pass but in a small trolley-looking vehicle opposed to the double decker bus shown on viator's site. I would stick with viator in this case and, having dealt with them favorably myself, I'm sure they will give you all the info you would need.

dbh62ark, I cannot figure this one out. We had our luggage on wheels and if that wasn't a flat walk from the station to the port entrance then I don't know what flat is. (From just inside the port entrance, we took the free shuttle to the ship). About midway, we did go off course one block to go to a little grocery that someone directed us to in order to get some cokes and water. THAT one block I remember as being a slight incline up. And we had had no wine so far that day!!!

The last time I disembarked in Civitavecchia on a Holland cruise, we were standing there with our fellow passengers looking at a hill that went straight up. I had watched passengers on previous cruise too, and it wasn't worth it to us, so we took a cab. :) We did not go on any side streets, so I can't comment on that. And I am SO tired of board members quibbling with me over this when I am just trying to do a favor for those toting luggage in that area, so I'm going to take a photo of that dang hill when I'm there in May and will post it when I get back. ;)

Donna

And I am SO tired of board members quibbling with me over this when I am just trying to do a favor for those toting luggage in that area, so I'm going to take a photo of that dang hill when I'm there in May and will post it when I get back. ;)

Donna

Donna, I think you may have a different port in mind. I've read that you aren't allowed to walk inside the port area..that's why they have FREE continuous shuttles from the ships to the port entrance and vice versa. The only walking we're talking about is between the train station and the port entrance...that can only be called flat. As for that street I mentioned, unless you wanted to go to a grocery store and made that turn, not even an incline is in involved. We are retired and have seen much better days and believe me, if there were anything hard about the trek from the Civitavecchia station to the port entrance, I would be on here advising folks not to attempt it! As it is I can say SAVE YOUR MONEY...walk the 4 or 5 'pleasant' blocks and get the free shuttle and save about 20+ euros which is what I understand the cab from the station to the ship would run you.

I too am trying to be helpful and anyone considering the do-it-yourself way of getting to Civitavecchia from Rome (or vice versa) should know that the train, walk and free shuttle is all very doable. Plus it was FUN!

Donna, I think you may have a different port in mind.

No, thanks, but I think I know where I got off the ship! I also asked my husband and e-mailed our friends from Canada who were with us, and we all recall a hill. How many times have you been to that port? I am well aware of the free buses because we have used them and advised others to use them and not use the ship's buses that are not free. As you know, the reason for the free shuttles is that this is an industrial port, and the govermental authorities don't want passengers wandering around for safety reasons. And my point is that there IS a hill and that those who want to try to work with that should do so but those who are toting luggage and don't want to deal with it should realize that there are other options. I actually agree with you that the train is fun, and we've used it several times. My husband left a hat from Lisbon on that train. :)

Donna

Off the subject a little bit, but has anyone gotten a taxi without reserving in advance from the port to the airport or vice versus?

Last Med cruise on Liberty we prearranged a driver, but it wasn't much less than what Carnival was charging and this time everyone wants to try to wing it. I'm a little nervous about it and was wondering if anyone cared to share an actual experience with finding drivers, especially from port to airport after debarking.

Archived