GUAR Balcony upgrades?

mrcruzer

Hi there everyone,

New at Carnival, and looking at a few Caribbean cruises for next year.

One question, If we book, we'll likely book a GUAR balcony cabin. What are some past passengers experiences using this category? Is it common to get some good upgrades?

Thanks,

MC.

Hi there everyone,

One question, If we book, we'll likely book a GUAR balcony cabin. What are some past passengers experiences using this category? Is it common to get some good upgrades?

Thanks,

MC.

And upgrade is never a sure bet. Im 50/50 for upgrades. I book with the same PVP from Carnival now for the past 3 years and I got one from her at the time of booking for my next cruise in Aug on the Celebration because of a special Carnival has going on.

Hi there everyone,

Thanks,

MC.

We booked a balcony guarantee (8A) and were assigned an 8C, two decks higher than the lowest possible balcony. Last year my DB and SIL booked balcony guarantee and were assigned a 9A (bigger balcony room but not quite a suite). Some passengers get better upgrades than others. Some get an 8A. It's a crapshoot to try to figure out who's going to get what. If you will be satisfied with any balcony, a guarantee is the way to go. If the possibility of being assigned an obstructed view balcony cabin (numer of these cabins is extremely small) scares you to death, book a specific cabin.

We plan to book balcony guarantees from now on.

Fair enough!

We just want a balcony, and of course, the bigger/better the cabin, the better! But seriously, as long as the balcony cabin isn't tiny, I'm sure it would work.

So a pretty good option then? For getting balcony categories higher up?

No people upgraded to a suite yet, eh?:p

Fair enough!

We just want a balcony, and of course, the bigger/better the cabin, the better! But seriously, as long as the balcony cabin isn't tiny, I'm sure it would work.

So a pretty good option then? For getting balcony categories higher up?

No people upgraded to a suite yet, eh?:p

I went from a cat 11 to a cat 12 on the Triumph, but never from just a Balcony to a suite. I also like to pick my cabin. I like Mid ship no higher than Empress deck. For me thats the best ride.

The best upgrade I got was on my first Glory cruise, when i booked an OV guar and got upgraded to Balcony on Verandah deck. Pretty good upgrade. After that, I got spoiled and allways booked Balcony guar. Have never been below Empress deck. Once I got an aft balcony, which was nice. I did book an inside guar on Celebration, hoping to get upgraded to outside, but alas, that didn't happen. So, I guess anything could happen, but its hit and miss.

If you will be satisfied with any balcony, a guarantee is the way to go. If the possibility of being assigned an obstructed view balcony cabin (numer of these cabins is extremely small) scares you to death, book a specific cabin.

We plan to book balcony guarantees from now on.

I thought that all the balcony cabins were unobstructed 8A and above. (I realize that sometimes the Lifeboats will be below the cabin and so then you will not be able to see below you) - but I have never heard of a balcony 8A and above being obstructed. ?????????? Please share :)

Booked inside guarantee (pretty last minute last week!) and now see that there are OV guarantee and balcony (about 7) still available for our sailing. Any strategies that we could use to get an upgrade for a great price?

Cruise NOT showing on carnival website anymore, but IS showing on the website we purchased cruise from...any ideas?

Thanks.

I thought that all the balcony cabins were unobstructed 8A and above. (I realize that sometimes the Lifeboats will be below the cabin and so then you will not be able to see below you) - but I have never heard of a balcony 8A and above being obstructed. ?????????? Please share :)

My bad. I stand corrected. Looking just at the Spirit, 7As can have obstructed views. (I assumed that balconies started at 8A, but have only had balconies on the Destiny and Victory).

It's my understanding - but I've been known to be wrong - that those who have cruised Carnival before will receive the better upgrades when booking a guarantee. However, we've done guarantees two or three times and have not gotten any kind of upgrade. So make sure your guarantee is for a cabin that you won't mind being in just in case you don't receive an upgrade.

On the Spirit class ships the cabins are the normal 185 square feet - plus the balcony. Some of the other classes may not be like that...our PVP checked this out for us a cruise or two ago. (I think there are some where the 185 square feet includes the balcony.) So cabin size and obstructed views are dependent upon the class of the ship.

When I talked to my favorite PVP last week about my booking, I was told that obstructed view balconies are classified 7A. :cool:

Although not classified as obstructed, the first and last balcony cabins in the Spirt Class "Bump ins" have very limited field of view.

I posted above looking for strategy and while some do have a strategy, they may not wish to share it! I respect that! I checked the carnival website and was surprised to see that we have been assigned a cabin after booking this cruise just Friday as a 1A guarantee. We got a 4 category upgrade, still inside. No complaints! It's not the 1A we paid for!

We are past passengers and perhaps this is why. Should we assume that this cabin will be the one since we cruise in 7 days? I checked to see if there are cabins available and there are. All categories are available, but no suites. We are very happy with the upgrade, but wondering if there is any way to purchase at a decreased cost a balcony very close to sail time? That is what I would like a strategy for really. Don't want something for nothing, just a chance at a balcony at a discount if possible. Thank you!

We are very happy with the upgrade, but wondering if there is any way to purchase at a decreased cost a balcony very close to sail time? That is what I would like a strategy for really. Don't want something for nothing, just a chance at a balcony at a discount if possible. Thank you!
Chances are, prices probably won't be reduced any further since your cruise is so close. You can always call and ask how much it would be to upgrade at this point.

We booked a BL on the Legend and were assigned 8H on Panorama -- we were very happy with the location and would definitely book a guarantee in the future. We almost always book guarantee, but when we are cruising with the kids (and paying for five people), we typically book inside guarantees -- and get upgraded to good locations most of the time.

We booked an 8A guarantee on the Miracle and were upgraded to an 8H (same room, just higher deck.) If you want to pick your cabin on a higher deck for a balcony, watch for the "one day sales" Carnival runs. They usually don't save you much, if any, money but often allow you to upgrade to a higher deck at no charge.

Booked a last-minute 1A on the Victory and have been assigned a 4B.

DH and I's 1st cruise (honeymoon) in less than 2 weeks ...went from an 8D to an 11. But after hearing about what a fluke that is/was I think we will try to hand pick our next cabin!!

Did you book an 8D guarantee and you got upgraded to a category 11? Or, did you just get the upgrade "just because"?

For those who are new to Carnival, it's helpful to know that Carnival's cabin categories are really simple. Although there are a few "odd" cabins to fit in around a stairwell or something, virtually all of the 8a-8whatever balcony cabins are identical; only the deck is different. So id you book a balcony guarantee, you are assured a cabin of a certain size and, unless you get the rare upgrade to a suite, the size of your cabin will not change. I think it makes it really easy to be pretty comfortable with a guarantee.

... virtually all of the 8a-8whatever balcony cabins are identical; ... I think it makes it really easy to be pretty comfortable with a guarantee.

The cabin size may be identical, but if you think all cabins are the same you are fooling yourself! Have you ever had a cabin underneath the galley? Or underneath the disco? I have, and I will never ever book a guarantee because of that. Nothing but hand-picked cabins for me:D

Archived