The RCI Wine List

My favorites are the Byron Pinot Noir and the GSM. The GSM is one that I can get at Trader Joe's for $9.99, so the $49 price makes me squeal like a pig, but then I get over it because it goes so well with a Chops steak. At $44, the Byron is priced at less than 2x retail, so I don't feel too much pain ordering it. And I like the Jibe Pinot, just not quite as much as the Byron.

I tried the La Vite Lucente Sangiovese/Merlot (Other Reds) and it was ok but not as good as the other two. The Faustino Rioja was pretty good, too.

I didn't care for the Mondavi Merlot - I ordered it as the last bottle in the wine package (we mostly got that for Don's white wines). It tasted a bit more like grape juice than wine.

I didn't sample much white wine this trip...

Thank you critterchick! We have always taken wine onboard to enjoy (we collect it and then go hog wild for the week), so RCI's new rules really don't sit well with us. I am trying to do as much research on the wine list before our cruise in a month so that we get wines we will enjoy at a price we can live with. Your posting of this list is very, very helpful. Again, thanks!!

Whooohooo they do a Guwurztaminer. That's me sorted for the week then!!!!

Seriosuly tho, is it just me or is there a sever lack of anything French on those lists? And what's with the oversaturation of wines from the US?!?!?

My vote goes to #320 - Matua Valley Sauv Blanc from NZ - which at $33 a bottle is not too bad and tastes devine!

Oooh, that's one we haven't tried! DH loves the Nobilo Sauv Blanc, also a Kiwi product, and only Princess serves that, so we may just have to try it!

Thanks, Jean! DH is studying the list now. :D

Hey, while I'm here, maybe someone can answer this. I can't remember what the Platinum C&A coupon is for wine. Is it buy one bottle get one 20% off?

ETA: I think you're a pretty darn good photographer! Thanks again for taking the photos and posting for us.

Seriosuly tho, is it just me or is there a sever lack of anything French on those lists? And what's with the oversaturation of wines from the US?!?!?

In general (very general), Americans drink less European wine. The New World stuff is just more readily available here.

I have noticed that in the Caribbean, there tend to be more South American wines than you might find on other lists. I've always assumed that this was because 1) they are so nearby, 2) they are by and large very affordable, and 3) S. America is hitting the marketing pretty heavily in the last few years (not quite to the degree that Australia has, but still working hard to increase awareness).

Which brings up something that I have been wondering - does anyone know whether certain distributors/wineries/negociants have agreements with the cruise lines, so that only their wines are offered? Someone posted that Vintages on Liberty/Freedom is sponsored by Robert Mondavi, so that's pretty much all that's sold there.

I guess I was just wondering how/why the wine list is chosen, and whether anyone here has any knowledge of the selection process.

Thank you critterchick! We have always taken wine onboard to enjoy (we collect it and then go hog wild for the week), so RCI's new rules really don't sit well with us. I am trying to do as much research on the wine list before our cruise in a month so that we get wines we will enjoy at a price we can live with. Your posting of this list is very, very helpful. Again, thanks!!

On our recent Vision cruise, we purchased the Platinum package, their highest priced package. Our Head Waiter let us substitute twice wines that were similar in price but not on the list. I'm sure that this their option to do this, but maybe a small "gratuity" will help.

Just another option.

• 4 weeks later...

I am getting on this thread a bit late. I found on the Royal Caribbean website a "domestic" list http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Domestic_Wine_List.pdfwine and a "European" wine list http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/European_Wine_List.pdf.

It does seem the European list has a wider variety of "international" wines than the domestic list. Since I have never been on Royal Caribbean before, I don't know exactly where each list is used. Sort of makes sense that the European list is used for cruises in Europe, and the domestic list for those originating in the US, doesn't it.

critterchick thanks for the pictures of the wine list. It has the prices while the ones mentioned about don't.

I was happy to see Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne - that is my daughter's favorite and as we are taking her and her husband on a cruise next March, I will try to arrange to have a bottle in their cabin when they board. The price ($77) is about $20 more than we normally pay (which isn't too often!) but it will be worth it.

Thanks for the informative information here.

Davidffuve Clicquot Ponsardin,

I think you did a nice job on those photos. Very clear to read. Question - If we buy one or two bottles of wine, does RCI provide a re-corking service? We aren't big drinkers but would love a glass or two at dinner.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Archived