Dress Code on Airlines.......

sail7seas

After seeing news reports about the young woman removed from Southwest Airlines for wearing a mini skirt and low cut tank top, got me thinking.....

Should an airline have the right to tell us what we can wear and remove us from planes if they don't approve?

We can't agree what we should wear to dinner on the ships; who will decide if our clothes should warrant our removal from a plane?

Trying to enforce dress codes is worse than herding cats. You can't win for trying. Setting community standards is really an impossible task since opinions vary so wildly. This includes appropriate dress on aircraft. But you must try and find the best balance possible knowing full well there will always be dissenters. And a private business like Southwest has every right to make and enforce a code as long as it is legally done. Its to any business' benefit or peril.

Personally I fly in shorts or jeans and a polo shirt.

The young woman was on the Today show, this morning wearing the so-called offensive outfit. She wore it well and it was typical of the way teens and young adults dress. It was not offensive.

She also reported she wore the same outfit on her return flight, the same day, same airline and the flight attendant complimented her on the outfit.

She says she wants a formal appology from SWA.

It's always something.

What can I say? It's a slow news day. The young woman was there with her mom and got their 15 minutes of fame.

STG_HZ_revealing_8a.jpg

Exactly, I saw the show also. IMO, there was absolutely nothing offensive about her outfit, if that's really the one she wore on the flights. Ahhhh, I remember my mini skirt days. ;)

BTW, Southwest has no dress code.

I thought the same thing. :D Perhaps, just perhaps, she was not wearing the tee shirt :eek:

Yes, hammy, again we're on the same wavelength.

My thought was that she wasn't wearing the tank or tee or whatever it is, because she said that the airline employee was telling her to pull her sweater closed. Why would that be if she was wearing what's shown in the pic? There's nothing showing! Things that make you go "Hmmm". ;)

If indeed this was how she wore the outfit, I've seen young women wearing more provocative clothing at the mall. However, my guess is that the bottom of the t-shirt was not pulled down as low as is shown in the photo. If you take a look at the skirt itself, it is so small that if she were to pull it down to cover more leg, she'd end up with nothing on her backside. :rolleyes:

Yes, hammy, again we're on the same wavelength.

My thought was that she wasn't wearing the tank or tee or whatever it is, because she said that the airline employee was telling her to pull her sweater closed. Why would that be if she was wearing what's shown in the pic? There's nothing showing! Things that make you go "Hmmm". ;)

She probably wants a free cruise ( oh I mean R/T flight) for her pain, suffering and humiliation.

I think she looks fine, also. Apparently one passenger objected to her attire and the flight crew had her removed. She ultimately was allowed back aboard the aircraft.

Don't these people go to beaches, pool, lakes? All the young 'uns in their bikinis? They look great IMO..... with the cute shapes, why not while they're young?!! :D Maybe it's an 'over the hill' flight attendant who wishes she could still wear the mini? :D

The young woman was on the Today show, this morning wearing the so-called offensive outfit. She wore it well and it was typical of the way teens and young adults dress. It was not offensive.

She also reported she wore the same outfit on her return flight, the same day, same airline and the flight attendant complimented her on the outfit.

She says she wants a formal appology from SWA.

It's always something.

It sure is. People should recognize that often when they take offense, generally, it is something they are doing to themselves, rather than something someone else is doing to them. You'll generally know when someone is directing offense at you -- they'll typically be referring to you, pointing at you, or in some other way indicating that their comments or actions are directed at you or people like you -- not simply going about their business.

I think she looks fine, also. Apparently one passenger objected to her attire and the flight crew had her removed. She ultimately was allowed back aboard the aircraft.

Don't these people go to beaches, pool, lakes? All the young 'uns in their bikinis? They look great IMO..... with the cute shapes, why not while they're young?!!

sail, She was not removed. The flight attendant's name is Keith.

Here's the story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20638479/

I think it was disgusting that I had to see her crotch on national tv. She should be ashamed of herself. I thank god everyday that I didn't have a daughter, because there is no way she would be dressing like a s***. How about some self respect!!! There used to be a thing called indecent exposure. Now all anyone says is "thats what all the girls are wearing", so I guess that makes it right. And her mother thought it was alright, maybe when she gets home and sees her daughter flashing millions of people she will think different. I don't think she should have been kicked off the plane because they would have to kick alot of people off if that was the case. Why women want to degrade themselves by wearing clothes like that or working at Hooters is beyond me.

I just watched her interview with Matt Lauer and I found nothing different about her attire - it is what we see everyday.

Would I like my daughter wearing a skirt quite that short - not really, but she has a couple that are pretty short. I don't see what is wrong with the t-shirt/top...

My DD has to have skirts that are knee length to wear at school on certain days and you can't imagine how challenging it is finding remotely stylish ones that don't like like they came right off the prarie...

Saw this story online last night and the newscaster brought up something funny. The Ironic thing about it is back in the early days of Southwest the flight attendants all wore short hot pants. Now that is funny, alright for them but not their passengers

A few times when I watched that show "Airline" - the one that featured real situations from Southwest Airlines, I felt uncomfortable with abilty of their agents and crew to assume so much.

I recall one show where they refused to allow a passenger to board the plane because one of the agents had seen him having a couple beers in the bar. He admitted to having three beers (and a hamburger) while waiting for the flight to board (over the course of two hours) - but they insisted he was intoxicated - even though he didn't seem to be at all.

Sadly, it was also the last flight of the day and he had to take one the following day. I'd have been livid, personally.

Archived