Questions about Dunns River Falls

stiffaney

We will be there in about two weeks, we looked at the prices for Shore Excursions through Carnival to get to Dunns River (cheapest being $60pp). Is is worth just jumping in a taxi and taking the 5-10 min. drive to Dunns River and paying the $15pp to climb the falls? Sounds like it would save us some money to me. We were there in July 2007 when we stayed at Sandals Ocho Rios for our Honeymoon and took the excursion through them, but I cannot remember do they offer lockers for storage while you climb the falls and can you rent water shoes from them (and if so, how much do they cost). I remember the water shoes our excursion provided us with helped a whole lot while climbing :) Any response would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I don't see why you couldn't just take a taxi and do the falls on your own, though I haven't done that. We used a private tour operator and also went tubing. I think they do have storage lockers and they do rent shoes. We didn't rent any, so I'm not sure of the price, but I think it's either $3 or $5.

We're going with Mark Morris in just a few days! Will let you know our experience.

Does anyone recall hearing that one side of the falls is easier to climb?

Also, how do you tell your guide that you don't want to hold hands all the time?

There are many spots that you can take a break at and not have to hold hands. The route you take can probably change depending on how many people are there. We went on a very busy day and everyone was taking the same track. To be honest the easiest way is the way the masses take because its not easy. On occasion I'm glad there was a helping hand because I would have taken so spills without a little help from my frends.

133560124_Cruise269.jpg.86fbfb32a725bb632695ccf87fc6c246.jpg

We're going with Mark Morris in just a few days! Will let you know our experience.

Does anyone recall hearing that one side of the falls is easier to climb?

Also, how do you tell your guide that you don't want to hold hands all the time?

Come back and tell us how it went. I'm still on the fence about climbing them.:o

We've just come back from our Coral Princess cruise and took a tour in Jamaica which included Dunns River Falls. You could choose whether or not to climb the falls and we decided to have a go, having already bought the water shoes!

In my opinion, you really need a guide, as he knows the best ways to go, ours had obviously been doing it for years and did it barefoot! In places it's very slippery, and I for one was glad that we were holding hands and the strong guy in front of me could pull me up some of the higher steps. There was one girl who got quite panicky, so the guide made her go at the front with him and she was fine. The whole thing is great fun and we laughed a lot, although it is not as easy as some people make out - perhaps if you're young and used to rock-climbing it's easy! But it is definitely worth it, and in my opinion it's the only thing worth doing in Jamaica. The other part of our tour was about an hour on a beach, which was a bit of a waste of time, and I'm sure there are better beaches than the one we went to.

Go for it!

I've been to DFR dozens of times over the last 30 years. I never take a ship's tour - or any other. But that may not be good for you.

DRF is actually a park with more than just the falls...there is a beach area, snack bar et al....and the oft discussed 'market'.

The average tour runs runs you down the stairs to the bottom of the falls, has you hold hands and follow the "safe path" up the left side of the falls. In and out fast = $$$$ .... thru the marketplace. If you follow the guides, other than the possibility of a slip (or a chain reaction .. more on that below) ... pretty damn easy, and there are several spots you can bail out if desired.

When we go to DRF it is a beach day. We spend hours in the falls - the pools in the falls and climb up the left, right and middle; we jump off the cliffs into the falls below - then drink beer and do it again ..... "we" is a ship's crew .... not necessarily the average family unit. But when I visit with the family...I know the place....where a cab should go to get there, what it costs and where the "safe path" is..... Climbing the falls is kind of what a water park was like in the 60's. I remember a beach with HUGE slides and a wooden sled type thing on on roller skate wheels ya rode down 'til ya hit the water. By today's standards :eek:.

In watching tour groups with a couple of hundred people holding hands climb the falls I've seen as many fall by being pulled down by the person next to them as any other way. I'm not recommending a climb up the middle for most folks. But if you do the RCCL "rock wall" you might like it.

Take a taxi .... hire a guide for a couple of bucks the first time up - there are "guides" all over the falls...aka kids making a buck. Then go back to the bottom and do it on your own ... play a bit.... I wear hard sole dive booties when I go.

We too have done the falls many times. We take a taxi($10.00 for 4). Play at the beach climb the falls several times throughout the day...it is really fun and relaxing. You don't need to hire guide prior to arriving at DRF. If you follow the stairs down to the beach, tour guides will grab your hand and say lets go!!!! These guides assist those that need help. We tip them a couple of bucks at then end. The whole time at the falls cost 30.00 for 4 people. There were lockers the last time I was there in August 2005. we are getting ready to back to the falls this April and next April.

Thanks for all the great information! If we do use a guide, how much should a family of four tip the guide for climbing the falls?

It's Christmas .... give 'em a ten and he'll be thrilled

$5 would be plenty if we're just talking one time up

Archived