charleston,sc

skoolbusdrvr

It is not the kind of place I would normally look for, more of a country cooking guy myself, but I was hired to pick up and deliver a work of art and the dealer insisted I stay there. It was very nice. The room had what my DW would describe as antique furniture with lots of ruffles.

If you get a chance check out the roof top lounge in the evening hours. The locals all gather there after work. You have a nice view of the harbor and the muchies are very good also.

Take a stroll down Bay street for a few blocks in either direction after dinner. You will enjoy your stay an the Vendue.

thanks everyone for your great imformation. can we walk to the port or will we need a taxi?

You can walk, but how much luggage do you have? If it is a lot, the taxi should be minimal - $3-4 and would be worth it. In fact ask the front desk and they may take you there.

Have a great time.

I'm sailing on the Norwegian Majesty next Saturday and have heard horror stories about parking at the port. Are there other parking options available in Charleston? I'm driving down from the DC area, but not spending the night in Charleston.

I'm sailing on the Norwegian Majesty next Saturday and have heard horror stories about parking at the port. Are there other parking options available in Charleston? I'm driving down from the DC area, but not spending the night in Charleston.

Yes, there are city garages all over downtown Charleston within short walking distance to the pier.

#3,4,5,8,9,11 are city garages that are very close walking distance to the port. There are also four private garages that are very close.

http://www.charlestoncity.info/shared/docs/0/parking_garage_locations_city2.pdf

I believe parking is $10 per day.

Yes, there are city garages all over downtown Charleston within short walking distance to the pier.

#3,4,5,8,9,11 are city garages that are very close walking distance to the port. There are also four private garages that are very close.

http://www.charlestoncity.info/shared/docs/0/parking_garage_locations_city2.pdf

I believe parking is $10 per day.

Thanks so much for the quick response. Looking forward to this cruise very much.

I took some relatives to the ship a couple of years ago and did not park, but went thru to drop them off. I didn't think the parking was that bad... if you are going to park downtown, I would just park at the terminal. The lots downtown are not any safer than the ports... and I for one would not want to walk to the port with my luggage down some of the streets. The nearest lot is still a bit of a jaunt to deposit your luggage and it is not inside so if it is raining/cold/hot/etc. you will have to put up with that. I know there are several hotels that will let you stay the night and ferry you there and back. Just check some of the other threads.

Thanks for the added information about Charleston cruise parking. Another CCer highly recommended Republic Parking at 1 Cumberland Street and said it is 0.07 mile from the terminal. That sounds pretty close/convenient IF the luggage drop off is at the terminal (?). Does anyone know whether 1 Cumberland Street is the same as 360 Concord? I assume that is not the public lot at Concord and Cumberland (?), but is it the "other" parking shown nearby on the map referenced above?

Thanks for all your input,

UNCle Don

Thanks for the added information about Charleston cruise parking. Another CCer highly recommended Republic Parking at 1 Cumberland Street and said it is 0.07 mile from the terminal. That sounds pretty close/convenient IF the luggage drop off is at the terminal (?). Does anyone know whether 1 Cumberland Street is the same as 360 Concord? I assume that is not the public lot at Concord and Cumberland (?), but is it the "other" parking shown nearby on the map referenced above?

Thanks for all your input,

UNCle Don

I am not sure you can get into line to drop off luggage without parking in their lot. I took some people and they let me drop them off, but they all had to show their boarding info and I was the odd man out. We had some friends leave two weeks ago and they took a cab, but they live here.

Good luck.

Lady Game-cock, Blue Heron and Bob's Family,

Where should we spend the nite to go on a cruise in a week? We will be arriving late on Friday and would like a reasonably priced clean room with shuttle service and free parking. Thanks!

Where should we spend the nite to go on a cruise in a week? We will be arriving late on Friday and would like a reasonably priced clean room with shuttle service and free parking. Thanks!

There is a thread called Park and Cruise right below (or near) this thread. It has some great advice.

Bob

I have booked the Holiday Inn Riverside, but now that our sailing has been put back to 7PM. I decided to rent a car. Should I change hotels to be nearer downtown? (I booked the hotel because of the shuttle to the dock, but now will drop off family and get cab from airport)

I have booked the Holiday Inn Riverside, but now that our sailing has been put back to 7PM. I decided to rent a car. Should I change hotels to be nearer downtown? (I booked the hotel because of the shuttle to the dock, but now will drop off family and get cab from airport)

If you are renting a car why not look at a hotel on the beach? Check out - http://www.iop.net/Community/Lodging.aspx?section=visitors

The island is about 8 miles from downtown and the Seaside Inn has rooms that front on the beach. I live on island and it is family orientated.

You might also try several downtown hotels - if you stay right near the market area you would not really need a car and you could just call a cab in the morning to take you all.... make sure it is not a metered cab, but a set price... don't want to be in line with the meter running.

http://www.charlestonsfinest.com/sc/accomhistchas.htm

Another real treat would be to stay at:

http://www.charlestonharborresort.com

This place is across from downtown and has a water taxi that goes across the bay to downtown. You most likely would be able to see the ship come in that morning. It might be the best bet!

• 9 months later...

We will be staying at the Renaissance Downtown the night before our cruise on 2/14, and I'm wondering if we would be anywhere near the port, and if so, would we be within walking distance? We usually only pack a rolling duffel bag and backpack each, so won't have a lot of luggage. What do you think? Thank you!

you can definitely walk if you have light luggage. Your hotel is sandwiched between Wentworth and Society Streets....so if you just head towards Meeting Street (that is east).....you will go as far east as Washington Street (3 more blocks) and then take a right on Washington (going south). You will be all caught up in the lines of cruise passenger cars by then so it will be obvious, but you will have to walk another 1/4 mile or so to get to where you need to be. Really just a 5-10 minute walk from your hotel. It is easier than I am making it sound and the city is set up like a grid so really any combination of going east and south with get you there! :)

ceb1160 -

Thanks for your advice! Do you think it would be better to walk or to grab a taxi? I've been to Charleston once and walked all over downtown, so am a bit familiar with the layout. It was pretty easy to find my way. Will the entrance to the cruise port be marked, or evident, if we walk? I'm really hoping the weather will be cooperative and that we'll be able to do a lot of walking while we're there!

Archived